*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2316321-Upstaged
Rated: E · Fiction · Hobby/Craft · #2316321
A story of an illusionist being upstaged by her assistant.
The ruby glow of the spotlight followed Irene's every step as she danced across the stage. Each tap of her heels was calculated, her smile was a weapon honed to pierce the hearts of the audience. She was the star, the illusionist, the master of her own carefully crafted world. Or so she believed.

Daphnie stood in the half-light, her pale hands barely visible as they flitted over the worn velvet case. Her role in Irene's grand act was simple, almost invisible – open the case, close the case, and stand as a silent testament to Irene's brilliance. She was the shadow to Irene's flame, the quiet backdrop against which the magic unfurled. Until tonight.

Tonight, Daphnie was a storm cloud gathering on the horizon. There was a hesitancy in her movements, as though her fingers lingered longer than usual on the smooth surface of the case. The familiar click of the latches, usually in perfect rhythm with Irene's monologue, became a discordant beat, interrupting the practiced flow.

"And now, dear audience," Irene's voice boomed, "I present to you the pièce de résistance! The Disappearing Dove!" A flutter of snow-white feathers flickered inside the velvet-lined case as the audience held their breath.

But Daphnie's usual hum, the soft, gentle tune that signaled the dove's transformation, didn't come. Instead, there was a whisper, a murmur, like the wind threading through dry leaves. Her eyes, always downcast, flicked towards the wings, catching the light as though in conversation. The air vibrated, not with the orchestrated tension that accompanied Irene's most spectacular illusions, but with a raw, dissonant energy.

"Daphnie," Irene hissed through a clenched smile, her voice barely reaching the edge of the stage. "Daphnie, what in the-"

Before the rebuke could fully form, the case thrummed under Daphnie's touch. Not with the expected flash and plumes of feathers, but with a crackling, otherworldly light. Sapphire sparks danced off the brass latch, and the wood itself seemed to twist and shift. Irene, ever the professional, disguised her faltering step as part of the act, but her heart thudded an unsteady rhythm. This was wrong, wrong, wrong.

Daphnie smiled, a genuine, hesitant smile that had never been meant for the stage. "Can you feel it, Irene? The stage itself... it's calling to me."

A murmur swept through the audience. Was this a new trick? A deliberate disruption to heighten the tension before the unveiling? Whatever the reason, eyes were now glued not to the assured Irene, but to the quivering stage props and Daphnie's wide, almost frightened eyes.

The case shivered once more, and Irene's finely-tuned instincts screamed at her to run. This was defiance, a rebellion led by her meek assistant. But escape was impossible; the audience's collective focus was a spotlight far stronger than the ones she commanded.

"Look!" Daphnie's voice shattered the fragile control Irene struggled to maintain. With a flourish wholly unlike her usual demeanor, she flung open the case. Within, a storm raged. No dove, no clever mirror play, but a torrent of color and energy unlike anything the audience had ever borne witness to. The case, once a simple prop, morphed. The wood flowed like warm wax, twisting into spirals and leaves and stars.

Irene, the practiced showman, knew she should intervene, reassert control, turn this bizarre spectacle into a triumph of illusion and skill. Yet, she remained frozen in place, a silent actor in a play not of her own making.

Then came the applause. Not the polite patter they were accustomed to giving, but raw, guttural, primal. The audience had witnessed not a trick, but a birth, a transformation. In that moment, a quiet stagehand named Daphnie claimed ownership of the spotlight, forever changing the power dynamic of the act.

Later, in the tear-stained dressing room, Irene confronted the new star. "Magic is order! Control!" she seethed. "Your... your ability is chaos!"

Daphnie looked away, her voice trembling like a candle flame in a storm. "The things...the stage, the props, they whisper to me, Irene. They show me their true selves, what they long to become. I just... I give them a voice."

From that day on, the marquee lights read: "Irene, Queen of Illusion, and Daphnie, Weaver of Wonders". Irene adapted, as the shrewd do. Smoke and mirrors gained new dimensions when paired with Daphnie's unfiltered magic. But every time the curtains fell, every time the applause faded, Irene would look at Daphnie and remember the night the sidekick stole the show and the magic truly began.




WORD COUNT: 753 Words
WRITTEN FOR: "What a Character! : Official WDC Contest
PROMPT: Write a story where a sidekick/supporting character steals the show away from the main protagonist.
© Copyright 2024 GERVIC 🐉 House Targaryen (gervic at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2316321-Upstaged