*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2316421-Lunar-Cry-Shadows-of-Redemption
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · Action/Adventure · #2316421
In Avalyn, a lycan feud arises. Farryn Cerez must break her curse and return home.
Chapter 1: Welcome to Barbela


         As the sun dipped below the horizon, the last of the warm light glowed over the craggy peaks of a majestic mountain range. Nestled high in the rugged peaks, a beacon of civilization thrived amidst the wild terrain, the city of Barbela. From the cliffs encasing the city, waterfalls tumbled down the mountainside filling the grand lake surrounding the capital, the rivers that branched off from this lake flowed into the heart of the city.

The tall towers shimmered of white stone, their spires were decorated with intricate carvings. The winding cobblestone streets lead visitors through neighborhoods filled with a blend of colorful adobe buildings with terracotta roofs. Eventually leading to the bustling markets filled with tantalizing aromas of spicy street foods and vibrant merchant stalls, their decorative textiles fluttering in the mountain breeze.

         Along the grand walls keeping the city safe were colorful murals depicting mythical creatures and legendary heroes, stories told to children of a time long past. At this time of day the city square was bustling with life as families were preparing for their evening supper. It was a popular place to meet up as it was adorned with intricate fountains, ornate statues, and lush gardens blooming with exotic beauty.

The surrounding plaza had elegant buildings with arched doorways, lined with iron balconies, and carved wooden shutters, a beautiful sight for a lovely evening. Perched on the edge of the grand city, overlooking a deep gorge, is the Bridge of Elders, a true marvel of engineering that connected Barbela to the neighboring mining town of Zennith. A town silhouetted by the capital’s shadow.

A bridge spans the chasm like a ribbon of gold, connecting the communities in both trade and tradition. From the capital, one can see the twinkling lights of the mining town from the distance, the torchlight flickering like dying stars in a darkening sky. Without the sun's warmth, the temperature began to drop for the evening, a fog started to thicken in the valley. Zenniths streets were lined with workshops and warehouses where precious metals or gemstones were extracted from the earth.


The Miners dressed in sturdy leathers with pickaxes in hand trudged up steep paths to reach the nearest transfer stations, their faces streaked with sweat and dust as they toiled in the shadow of the towering mountains. Thick smoke billowing from the chimneys of smelting furnaces mingled with the mist clinging to the valley floor. The cool valley air was a welcome sensation to those stuck behind the hot flames. Sitting in the watch tower over looking the worksites below, the Director signaled to the men below,
“There’s the sign.” said one of the men sitting by a large bell gong, his co-worker made visual contact to the other station nearby, to prepar ringing in unison.

“Shift Change!” he called out before blowing into the whistle.
The rhythmic clang of hammers echoing in the air began to soften to a stop, the old roads were starting to fill up with a rumble of carts pulled by large oxen, these carts were laden with precious ores. The town's morning shift had ended so too was the hustle and bustle for the workers, the streets were quieting down as the workers trickled out from their stations, their tired faces illuminated by the fading light.

Everyone was eager to reunite with their families after a long day of work. Along with them were soldiers clad in gleaming armor who were also taking their positions for the evening. They exchanged weary nods to one another with the change of patrol as they prepared their vigilant watch over the night.

         In the heart of this rugged mining town, within the towering cliffs of open excavated tunnels. Three siblings toiled side by side, the light of day was fading away faster than they realized. The bell had tolled, reaching even them for as far down in the earth they were. The eldest sibling, a woman named Farryn, with a spirit proving to be just as unyielding as the rock she was mining, looked to the sky just beyond the lip of the tunnel.

“Shift change!” she called down the tunnel, her long dark hair was tied up into a bun, showing her weathered face from digging in the mines all day.

The fatigue was starting to set in for her, but she was still determined to get one more piece of ore before leaving for the day. Farryn still wielded her pickaxe with precision, her muscles rippled under her shirt with each swing she took to dislodge the rock piece she was after. Her remaining strength manages to break into the rock bed to pluck out one more precious piece of ore. Farryn took the piece into her gloved hand and started to make her way to her brothers.

The two of them were further down the tunnel from her, still digging into the earth. Completely focused on their task alone, she broke their concentration by calling out once,

“Alright! That should do it for today.” She said, padding down the beads of sweat on her browline. Despite the grime and sweat on her skin, there is a fierce pride gleaming in her eyes.

“Another day gone and a job well done. Let’s go get some food.” She smiled, waiting for her brothers to finish their dig.

“I don’t know about you two, but I’m starving.” Said Tezca

as he climbed up the slope to stand next to his sister, with his broad shoulders and calloused hands, he had a silent presence that commanded respect among his fellow miners. Yet beneath his rugged exterior, he had a heart of gold and a gentle soul. Tezca is the oldest of the two brotbers,

“I didn’t even hear the quitting bell. Did Rod take off early?” Tezca asked as he helped Farryn by holding the medium-sized bag open. They were sharing this bag to store their combined claim for today,

“They rang the bell alright, you two were just too busy to notice,” said Farryn

“Oh…” Tezca paused as he glanced up at the dusk sky, “Well we didn’t find too many ore pieces today.”
Tezca paused once more to look at the bag of ore,
“At least the price we turn these in for will get us through until next week,”

he picked up a medium-sized bag that was half full, the three of them tried to fill it as full as possible with what they could find.
Their youngest brother, Sibei, made his way up to them to share his portion of the ore he found. He had long dark hair pulled back into a low ponytail, unlike the other two he was not as imposing. Sibei was, however, the tallest of the three and had a slender frame, but his quiet determination burned just as bright.

They started to head out of the tunnel into the fresh brisk air of the night, Tezca took a deep breath in

“Air never tastes sweeter after a dig like that,” he said tilting his head to look at the sky above, taking in this brief moment of respite,

“We’ll need the machines to dig deeper if we are hoping to find more ore. ”Sibei said to his older siblings, “Did you see how barren everything looked in there? Hardly anything worth of trade value is left.”

“You know that’s not our call, we dig where we are told to. That’s it.” Tezca said in a firm tone,

“Right.” Sibei said giving a slight nod

“I’m sure the Director will have news tomorrow. They usually have new jobs for us to do.” Tezca added,

“Great, we just do what we’re told…like usual,” Sibei said dropping his shoulders to let out a sigh of disappointment,

“Sibei, I know things are hard right now but-” she said softly, only to be cut off by her brother

“It’s not the work that’s hard Farryn, it’s also just hard to believe this is where we’ll be stuck all our lives,” Sibei stopped when he saw the look in his sister’s eyes, she looked to the ground solemnly.

Sibei noticed a shift in her mood, she was tired and perhaps feeling a little defeated. He softened his tone as he continued to speak,

"We work day in and day out just to live here. Our family can’t even touch the city beyond that bridge.”
Sibei pointed at the city-state glowing in the fading sunlight, he shook his head as he looked down at his gloved hands, his spirit was now weighed down with visible exhaustion.

Farryn faced her younger brother, her eyes filled with understanding and concern as she touched his shoulder,

“Sibei, you know the City is at full capacity. There just isn’t any room right now.” Farryn explained

“I know you’re right about that.” Sibei said as he rested a reassuring hand over his sisters “But, we shouldn’t have to live like this.” Sibei looked at his siblings, “To be honest I’d rather live in the woods.”

“Ha! Careful what you wish for,” Tezca warned, “After all to succeed in life, you can’t give up, you have to work hard and cherish each day,” Tezca added with a smile.

“Besides living in the woods is a little bit harder than you might think,” Farryn said with a soft giggle,

Sibei exchanged glances with Farryn and Tezca
“Alright, you’ve made your point clear. Let’s get out of here.”
Sibei said, putting an arm around his older sister, they were the last workers to head out of the tunnel.

         The flickering glow of the torches illuminated their faces, leading a path toward the transfer station. Where other miners were turning in their minerals for currency. The siblings were passing by a group of concerned-looking townfolk gathered around a notice board,

“What’s going on over there?” she asked, curiosity piqued she slowed her pace to read the scrawled notices plastered on the board. Farryns expression darkened as her eyes read the messages,

“It seems there have been reports of kidnappings in the area.” She murmured, her voice tinged with unease, her eyes scanned the faces of all the young women reported missing so far.

“When did they post these?” Farryn asked aloud,

“These went up earlier today, around lunchtime.” replied Tezca

“So when were you going to share this news with us, Tez?” she asked with a raised brow

“Yeah, I should have told you earlier but, we're at work together so I wasn’t super worried.”
Tezca replied,

“Do you think, Risa knows about this?” Farryn asked with concern as she glanced over the notice board again,

“Possibly, she works at a bakery after all. Lots of juicy gossip tends to come her way.” said Sibei,

“Still, I think we should go catch up with her.” Farryn suggested,

“Well, I still have to drop off our deposit. It might take a while.”
Tezca said as he pointed at the long line at the transfer station, Farryn grimaced at the thought of having to wait.

“By the time we get up there, it will be super dark too.” she sighed
“Why don’t you two get a head start? I’ll catch up with you.” Tezca suggested, nodding at both Farryn and Sibei,

“Are you sure?” Farryn asked, “It might be boring waiting here alone, I can go and get her.”

“Hello? What did we just read like not even five minutes ago?” Sibei asked with a hint of sarcasm in his voice, Farryn scoffed in defiance,

“I’m not super worried about me, but more so for Risa.” Farryn replied flexing her biceps, showing off her confident display of strength.

“Hm, I still don’t like the idea of you walking alone,” Tezca said looking at Sibei
“I’ll be fine. You two go.” Tezca said with confidence, he nodded to Sibei

“Right then. Let’s get going, Faye.” Sibei replied,

Tezca took the next spot in line, the bag of ore slung over his shoulder, however, his gaze was fixed on the distant horizon of the grand city on the other side of the bridge.

“Ok, we’ll see you at home, Tez! ” said Farryn, exchanging a wave with Tezca.

With one last farewell, both Farryn and Sibei set off down the road to the little enclave of homes in the mining town's industrial center. Here is where families and individuals find solace and community. Unlike the grandeur of Barbela, the residential streets of Zennith are lined with quaint adobe homes, their walls painted in warm earth tones, shutters painted vibrant hues to add a touch of cheer to their homes, and terracotta roofs.

Some of the iron balconies overflow with cascading flowers, giving the mountain air a sweet fragrance. Sibei and Farryn made their way through the narrow cobblestone lanes, the stone walls were draped in ivy. At the heart of the residential district was the central plaza, shaded by ancient trees anchored by sparkling fountains carved from mountain stone, this place was popular for residents to gather in the cool evening, sharing stories and laughter as children played in the small garden area.

“This place isn’t all that bad as you make it out to seem,” Farryn said as the both of them enjoyed their walk down the old streets,

}“Do you remember when we used to chase each other through these streets?” Farryn asked as she watched the families enjoy the small gardens, her eyes alight with fond nostalgia,
“We used to challenge each other about who could climb the highest on those trees.”

Sibei grinned, the memories of their childhood coming back to him,
“Ha! And Mom would come to scold us to get down.” he smiled at the old memory

They continued their stroll through the plaza, however, a shadow seemed to pass over their reminiscing of the past. Passing another notice board with the kidnapped and missing women, the chill in the air seemed more ominous now, Farryns expression grew somber as she spoke in a hushed tone,

“It's unsettling isn’t it?” she asked, her voice tinged with concern, Sibei looked at his sister then at the board she was stopped at,

“To think someone could just vanish without a trace…what could be behind these kidnappings?”Farryn pondered to herself,

Sibei nodded solemnly,
“It could be anyone.” Sibei paused for a moment before continuing, “Could be a rival faction looking to exploit Barbela’s resources, a creep in the shadows, or something far worse.” he mused, his thoughts drifting to the missing woman's faces adorned on the notices around town,

“It’s too close for home to me. I hope they’re out there, waiting to be rescued.” Farryn added,
“Do you think the capital is having the same issue?” she asked looking at Barbela’s towers and high walls.

Sibei rolled his eyes at the sight of the capital,
“Doubt it. But who knows? We, don’t live there.” he said with a smug response

“Do you think this might happen to us?” she asked, her voice barely above a whisper

The weight of her words hung heavy in the air, and Sibei’s heart clenched with apprehension.

“We’ll just have to be more careful. At least for a while,” he said
Farryn nodded in agreement, her eyes meeting Sibei’s with unwavering resolve.

“We’ll keep an eye out for each other,” she vowed, her voice filled with a gentle strength

“Exactly, like we’ve always done. Now let’s hurry up, Risa will beat us home at this rate.” Sibei smirked back,

Even with the weight of uncertainty, they managed to find solace in each other's presence. They continued their path towards the bakery where their sister, Risa, was working.

         The aroma of baked bread still mingled in the air as Risa diligently swept the floors about the bakery, she moved with grace. Tidying up the counters and rearranging the remaining pastries with care. Helping her was her boss, Zelma, a lady troll with fair features and a lovely shade of green skin. She was counting down the cash drawers. At the other side of the counter was her towering son, Zelma’s son Newt, he carefully arranged the rows of colorful confections.
As they prepared to close shop for the evening, Zelma leaned in close to Risa,

“Risa, we’re having a little get-together down at the Thornbrook Inn tonight. You should bring your family. It’s been ages since we’ve all been together.”

Risa replied with a smile on her lips, “That sounds like a lovely idea, Zelma. But, isn’t it a distance from the capital?”

“Yes it is, but we have our shortcuts to make the trip less, daunting.” Zelma replied

“Hmm, It is a bit short notice I’m afraid. The rest of the family might have their own plans for tonight. Plus Tezca and the others were working the mines today.” said Risa

“The mines again? They should just come work here. Less grime plus you can beat the food.” Zelma winked playfully

“Maybe next time?” Risa suggested,

“We’ll hold you to it then.” Newt chimed in glancing over at Risa, “but, you could just come along.” he added with a slight shrug and a mischievous smirk,

“Ah!? Just me?.” Risa blushed,

         Suddenly, the evening was disrupted by the boisterous laughter and drunken chatter echoing through the streets. The baker's door was swung open with a resounding bang. Revealing a rough-looking group of men dressed in fur-lined garments, their faces were flush with drink and their eyes gleamed with mischief. Dread filled Risa as she recognized the familiar faces of the men,

“Behold, fair Risa! I, Vidar of the Chimera Guild, have come to confess my undying love for thee!” the newcomer declared, his voice booming with exaggerated bravado.

Zelma and Newt exchaned amused glances as they watched what would happen next, Risa’s expression rempained impassive, her brow furrowed in annoyance.

“Why if it isn’t Vidar and his crew.” Zelma began as she addressed the group of men, “Sorry to tell you fellas but the shops closed for the night. You’ll have to come back in the morning.” Zelma said with a humble hospitable tone.

“Vidar, you’re drunk.” Risa stated flately, her tone devoid of any amusement.

The man, who Risa knew as one of the local hunters, straightened himself with as much dignity as he could muster, though his attempt was rather feeble since he was clearly, very intoxicated.

“Aye, but this is love as pure as the morning dew, my lady.” Vidar persisted, his words slurring together. Risa sighed as her patience was wearing thin,

“Vidar, I appreciate the sentiment but, I’m not interested.” she replied firmly, her voice leaving no room for argument. Vidar was undeterred and took a stumbling step forward, his expression was earnest even in this state,

“But, Risa, I would slay dragons and cross oceans for you.” he insisted, his words now tinged with desperation. Newt stepped forward, placing a comforting hand on Risa’s shoulder,

“We think it’s best if you leave, Vidar.” he suggested, his tone gentle but firm.

Vidar leered at Risa and Newt, their closeness appeared to aggravate him further. His intentions were clear as he suddenly advanced menacingly toward the two of them. With a defiant glare, Newt stepped forward to confront Vidar, his fists clenched at his sides, both man and troll stared each other down.

“Back off’ Newt growled, his voice a low rumble and his eyes ablaze with fierce resolve.

But Vidar and his men, emboldened by drink and arrogance, refused to heed his warning. Their laughter rang in Risa’s ears like a mocking taunt.

“So this troll thinks he can keep the girl safe, does he?” Vidar sneered, his voice dripping with contempt “You’re nothing, Newt, I’ve slayed creatures bigger than you. I’ll have Risa by my side before you can even lift a finger.”

Newt’s jaw clenched as he tried to contain his rage,
“You will not lay a hand on her, Vidar. You’ll have to go through me first.” Newt replied

Risa stood by Newt’s side, she was filled with gratitude for his unwavering resolve but, she also feared for her dear friend. She knew Vidar was not a man to trifle with, his ruthless resolve was well-known in town.

Vidar's lips curled into a cruel smirk as he inched closer,
“So be it, troll. Let’s see how tough you think you are.”

Zelma’s whistle pierces the air, its shrill sound cuts through the tension in an instant
“Enough of this nonsense” Zelma declared, her voice ringing with authority as she ushered the men to leave, “This bakery is closed for the night and you lot need to leave before I call the guard!”

The atmosphere shifted yet the tension still hung about like a fog.
“C’mon Vi, this isn’t what you came here for.” one of his men said as they ushered their drunk friend to the exit,

Vidar’s face darkened with frustration as he realized the turning tide against him.

“It will be okay, let’s just go.” said another one of Vidar’s men,

“You should listen to him,” Newt said to Vidar.

With a grudging reluctance, Vidar signaled to his companions, a silent retreat for now. He let out a sigh of defeat, but not without a final dramatic flourish,

“Very well, fair maiden. But know my heart shall forever belong to you.” he said as his blew a kiss in Risa’s direction.

His rowdy crew shuffled out the doorway away. However, Vidar cast one last lingering glance in Risa’s direction. Her breath was caught in her throat as she watched Vidar and his crew vanish into the growing darkness of the night. Their silhouettes were distorted seemingly dancing in the light of distant lanterns.

Zelma let out a deep sigh of relief, her hands trembling as she lowered them to her sides
“Thank the stars they’re finally gone!” she murmured, her voice thick with gratitude.

As the door was swung shut, Risa would let out a weary sigh,
“Well, that was unexpected.” She remarked, “No matter how many times I turn Vidar down. He just keeps coming back.” she said with a chuckle and a hint of amusement in her voice as she shook her head side to side,

“You know, Risa. it’s amazing how persistent a man can be when he is in love.” Zelma mused, a hint of nostalgia in her tone, she finished up counting the cash drawer to turn to focus on Risa.

“I suppose there is a certain kind of bravery in that.” Risa admitted, her thoughts a drift for the moment,

“Ha, the man was drunk. Not brave.” Newt pointed out,
Zelma stifled a giggle,

“Well, it seems Vidar isn’t the only one who has affections for Risa.” she teased, a mischievous twinkle in her eye.

Newt’s eyes widened in surprise, his gaze flickered between his mother and Risa as realization dawned on him,

“Wait, you mean…?” he trailed off, unable to finish his sentence

“Zelma what do you mean!?” Risa blurted in embarrassment as she and Newt glanced away from each other,

“Well I better be heading home then.” Risa stuttered as she grabbed her bag and shawl from the hangers near the cash register, “You have a lovely weekend and I’ll - uh see you Monday?” she added

“Risa - wait!” Newt said, trailing after her to open the door,
“Vidar is gone for now. But, if you’d like I can walk you home?” he offered only for Risa to shake her head

“I appreciate all that you’ve done for me tonight, but I’ve caused enough trouble for you.” she paused for a moment, her gaze lowered to the ground, ashamed and unable to look up into Newt or Zelma’s eyes. “Besides, you two need to travel back to the Inn remember? I really can’t take up more of your time tonight,” she said with a nod of gratitude.

“Be careful out there, dear. If you need us, don’t hesitate to come right come back,” said Zelma.

Risa gave both of them a grateful smile before turning to make her way out the door and down the dimly lit streets, her footsteps echoing against the cobblestones. Newt watched her depart, worried and torn to protect her or to help his mother pack up for their family’s Inn.

Zelma exchanged a knowing glance with Newt, she softly swatted her son with a towel,
“Well you can help me finish packing, but I only have a few more things. So…you can take a break.” she said,

“Thanks Mom.” Newt replied

“Maybe go for a walk?” she suggested, raising an eyebrow at him. A hint for him to follow after Risa.

“Hm, I’ll be back in a few then.” he said, eagerly heading out the door in the direction Risa went...

© Copyright 2024 Courtzgarden (taurinscribes at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2316421-Lunar-Cry-Shadows-of-Redemption