*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2316545-Where-Madness-Sleeps
Rated: E · Prose · Gothic · #2316545
Morbid curiosity. A visit to a cemetery. A mausoleum of secrets. Unleashed madness.
The moon graced the sky as if she'd had some bright idea, something brilliant needed to shine upon the Earth. But her light, tonight, felt more like a cruel spotlight, casting long, skeletal shadows across the overgrown cemetery. I shouldn't have been here. Not alone.

The wind, a constant companion in this desolate place, gnashed its teeth through the gnarled branches of the ancient oak, its silhouette contorting into monstrous shapes under the moon's watchful gaze. My breath came in ragged gasps, a counterpoint to the wind's mournful song. I was here for a reason, a morbid curiosity gnawing at me.

The caretaker, a grizzled man with eyes that held more secrets than the crypt itself, had mumbled warnings about the mausoleum on the hill. "Ungodly things happen there under the full moon," he'd rasped, his words laced with a superstitious tremor. Foolishness, of course. Yet, here I was, heart hammering against my ribs, drawn to the imposing structure like a moth to a flame.

As I approached, the mausoleum loomed larger, its granite facade cold and unwelcoming. The ornate iron gate creaked open with a rusty groan, the sound echoing through the silent graveyard like a scream. A shiver danced down my spine. The moon, once a beacon, now seemed to leer down, its light turning the mausoleum into a grotesque stage set for some unspeakable horror.

A sudden gust of wind slammed the gate shut with a bone-jarring clang. Panic clawed at my throat. Trapped. I fumbled for my matches, their glow a pathetic defiance against the oppressive darkness that seemed to seep from the very stones of the mausoleum.

Light flickered to life, revealing a single inscription above the arched doorway: "Here Lies Madness." A cold sweat bathed my skin. The stories, the whispered legends – could there be any truth to them?

My hand hovered over the heavy oak door, a primal urge to flee warring with a morbid fascination. Then, a sound. A soft scratching noise from within. My breath hitched. There was something alive in there. Terror propelled me forward. I shoved against the door, the sound of groaning hinges swallowed by the wind.

The interior was a stark contrast to the night. Moonlight streamed through narrow windows, illuminating a single marble sarcophagus. And on it, etched in a language I didn't recognize, were symbols that seemed to writhe and twist under the moon's gaze. As I drew closer, a low moan vibrated through the tomb, sending chills down my spine.

Suddenly, the sarcophagus lid creaked open, a sliver of moonlight revealing a pale, skeletal hand reaching out. I screamed, a primal, terror-filled sound that ripped through the stillness. But before I could turn and flee, a skeletal arm, impossibly long and thin, snaked out of the tomb, its fingers brushing against mine.

That touch sent a jolt through me, an icy current that seemed to freeze the very marrow of my bones. Then, with a final, earth-shattering groan, the tomb lid slammed shut. I stumbled back, my heart hammering against my ribs, gasping for breath. In the flickering candlelight, the inscription seemed to mock me: "Here Lies Madness."

I fled the mausoleum, the wind whipping at my heels, the moon a malevolent eye following my every step. I didn't look back. But deep down, I knew, a seed of madness had been planted within me, sown under the watchful gaze of the moon, a reminder of the night I dared to peek into the abyss.

© Copyright 2024 Tori Purchase (t.p2004 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2316545-Where-Madness-Sleeps