*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2317550-Taken-in-the-Night
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Gothic · #2317550
A vampire story

Taken in the Night

Story about Vampires
[A Work in Progress]



-oOo-

The scent of rain-soaked pavement was a pungent perfume on the midnight air. Lyka tightened her grip on the handle of her worn umbrella, her eyes flicking restlessly across the deserted alley. She wasn't usually this jumpy, but the last month had been rough. The news reports, the quiet disappearances, even the whispers among the homeless community where she sometimes volunteered... it set her teeth on edge.

"Just nerves," she muttered, but the word hung hollow in the damp air. Ever since that night, a prickling unease clung to her like a shadow.

A crash echoed behind her, a metallic clamor of overturned garbage cans. Lyka spun, heart pounding. Across the alley, twin pricks of crimson light glowed from the darkness. They flickered, moved closer. Not cat eyes, too large, too fixed.

A low, rasping growl echoed, making the fine hairs on her arms stand on end. It couldn't be a dog. Nothing in the city sounded quite like that.

"Who's there?" Her voice sounded impossibly small.

Something impossibly tall stepped out of the darkness. A gasp tore itself from her throat. The news reports hadn't done it justice. The creature, the...the thing was monstrous, a cruel caricature of a man stretched out against the laws of nature. Its eyes burned with a predatory intelligence that was all the more chilling in that inhuman face.

Panic surged through Lyka, a white-hot wave of terror. She turned to run, but it was shockingly fast. A long-fingered hand clamped around her arm, the touch shockingly cold, like ice.

She screamed, the sound lost in the alley as the creature dragged her back into the shadows.

A single crimson tear rolled down the creature's sunken cheek. Whether from pity or hunger, Lyka would never know. She only saw the gleam of impossibly long teeth in the gloom, and then, the world disappeared into darkness.


-oOo-


Lyka’s head throbbed, a dull, insistent ache. She blinked, disoriented. The smell – iron and dust – was so thick it made her gag. Slowly, details filtered through the fog. She was lying on cold stone. Moonlight cut through barred openings high above, casting stark stripes of light across the chamber.

She wasn't bound, but there was nowhere to go. Heavy iron doors sealed the room on one side. She shivered, suddenly aware of how cold it was.

A soft moan pulled her attention. A few feet away, another figure huddled on the floor, bathed in the same dusty light as herself. A girl, younger than Lyka, maybe 16 or 17. Her clothes were ragged, her face etched with a desperate fear.

"Where..." Lyka's own voice rasped unnaturally. Her throat burned with an unfamiliar thirst.

The girl pressed shaking hands to her neck as if surprised to find herself uninjured. "I... I don't know. I was walking home, and then there were – hands. Teeth." Her voice trailed off in a whimper.

Lyka felt that prickle of unease again. She remembered that burning cold on her skin, the gleam of teeth, and a sickening jolt ran through her. It couldn't be, surely...

Heavy footsteps echoed outside the door. It swung open with a rusty groan, throwing a man's elongated shadow across the floor. Tall, aristocratic, the man could have been handsome save for the sickly pallor of his skin and the strange, hungry light in his eyes.

"Welcome," he said, his voice a silken purr laced with a foreign accent Lyka couldn't place. "My apologies for the... unorthodox accommodations."

"Who – what are you?" Lyka choked out the words.

He studied them with chilling amusement. "You know our kind, I think. Though perhaps not as intimately as you soon shall."

The girl beside Lyka let out a strangled sob. Lyka's stomach clenched. That burning thirst stirred within her again, a monstrous hunger that made her skin crawl.

"We," the man continued, "are what you might call the inheritors of the night. I am Gervand. This," he gestured at the sobbing girl, "is unfortunate collateral damage. And you, my dear, are the main course."


-oOo-


Lyka's mind spun. This was a nightmare, the kind that made you jolt awake in a cold sweat. Yet, here she was, cold and desperate, with a monster – a vampire, her traitorous mind supplied – smiling down at her. That thirst in her throat, now an all-consuming fire, only solidified the grotesque reality.

“What do you want?” Her voice trembled despite her forced calm.

Gervand's smile widened. "My dear, you haven't yet grasped the beauty of what I'm offering. Immortality. Strength unlike anything you've ever known. It is a gift."

"A curse," Lyka spat, disgust outweighing her fear. "You prey on the innocent –"

"Survive, you mean," Gervand interrupted, an edge of cruelty creeping into his polished tone. “Nature in its purest form: the strong endure.”

A memory flashed through her mind: the shadowed alley, that chilling touch, the darkness engulfing her. Was it truly just...survival? A terrible suspicion clawed at her.

Gervand paced, his movements unnervingly fluid for such a tall man. "I chose you carefully, Lyka. There's a spirit in you, a defiance." He stopped before her, his eyes gleaming. "It would be wasted in that frail, human form. Embrace your true potential."

The girl whimpered, and Gervand cast her a dismissive glance. "You, however," he turned his attention back to Lyka, "have a choice. Join me...or become sustenance, as she was meant to be."

Fury surged through Lyka, mingled with a dark, almost intoxicating sense of power. She could feel it, lurking beneath her skin, something wild and potent. But to become like him? Impossible.

Before she could even process her own defiance, something snapped. With a snarl, she lunged for Gervand. He, taken aback by her sudden ferocity, barely had time to deflect her attack. She caught him across the cheek, fingernails slashing, and was rewarded by a hiss of pain.

His eyes went black with rage. "Little fool," he seethed.

In that moment, Lyka realized he had been playing with her. This wasn't a plea, but a test, and she had failed it spectacularly. He moved with impossible speed, seizing her before she could react.

As sharp fangs descended towards her neck, an odd calmness settled over Lyka. A lifetime of quiet, unremarkable existence stretched behind her. Maybe even a monstrous end held more promise than that.

But just before the bite came, the door crashed open. Figures spilled into the room, cloaked in black – hunters? A voice, sharp and commanding, shattered the stillness:

"Let the girl go, bloodsucker."


-oOo-


Gervand froze, his fangs inches from Lyka's skin. He hissed in frustration, but his grip on her loosened. The hunters surged forward – a blur of blades and grim determination.

The girl beside Lyka screamed, crouching low as shouts and the sound of clashing metal filled the stone cell. Lyka, dazed and disoriented, scrambled out of Gervand's reach and pressed herself into the shadows.

The leader of the hunters, a woman with flint-gray eyes and a scar across her brow, moved with preternatural swiftness. She parried Gervand's blows, her twin blades flashing in the dim light. Two others flanked her, moving as a unit with practiced ease.

Gervand was powerful, inhumanly so, but the hunters were relentless. They forced him back, their movements honed and deadly. Something about them stirred a flicker of recognition in Lyka, but the chaos of the fight made it impossible to pinpoint.

Just as Gervand seemed cornered, he let out a piercing whistle. The fight stalled. Lyka caught a glimpse of dark shapes hurtling through the shattered doorway – more vampires, their eyes glowing with feral hunger.

Outnumbered, the hunters exchanged grim looks. Their leader nodded sharply, and with a coordinated motion, they threw clay vials at Gervand's feet. Smoke billowed, thick and acrid, filling the chamber. The vampires snarled, momentarily disoriented.

"Go!" the woman shouted at Lyka, shoving her towards the door. As Lyka stumbled out, she caught a final glimpse of the hunters vanishing into the cloud. The vampires, regaining their composure, snarled and gave chase.

Lyka raced through twisting stone corridors, her heart hammering. Shouts and the echoes of the fight pursued her. She twisted through a narrow archway and risked a glance over her shoulder. No sign of the vampires, or the hunters.

Breathless and terrified, she finally slumped against a wall. That burning thirst had lessened, but her entire body ached as if she'd been beaten. Her fingers, she realized with a touch of horror, now bore elongated nails, razor-sharp at the tips.

"What have I become?" she whispered.

The air beside her shimmered, and a shape coalesced – the hunter with the scarred brow. She held a small vial, the liquid within flickering with an amber glow.

"Drink this," she commanded, her voice gruff. "It will control the hunger, for a time."

Lyka snatched the vial and gulped it down. The burning in her throat eased.

"They'll be hunting you now," the woman said, her eyes grim. "Both Gervand's brood and something darker. Come with me, there might yet be a chance for you."

Lyka, exhausted and with nowhere else to turn, nodded. She followed the hunter out of the shadows, towards an unknown future in a world suddenly, irrevocably, changed.


-oOo-


The night air crackled with tension as they wound their way through a labyrinth of forgotten tunnels. The hunter, whose name Lyka learned was Zeph, carried herself with the quiet capability of a seasoned warrior. Lyka, in contrast, stumbled, overwhelmed by the rush of unfamiliar sensations. The world seemed brighter, louder, each scent distinct and overwhelming.

"Where are we going?" Lyka finally ventured, her voice barely a whisper.

"Safe house," Zeph grunted, eyes fixed on the tunnel ahead. "The Brethren will know what to do."

"The Brethren?"

Zeph spared her a sidelong glance. "Vampire hunters. Don't get too excited, we're not exactly known for our hospitality."

They emerged into a crumbling church, its gothic spires looming against the moonlit sky. Lyka stared in amazement, but Zeph hustled her inside. Within, the sanctuary was transformed. Weapons lined the walls, ancient texts filled weathered shelves, and a group of people moved with quiet purpose, their expressions a mix of grim determination and weary suspicion.

An older man, his face lined with wisdom and old scars, approached them. "Is this her?" he inquired, his voice surprisingly gentle for one belonging to a clandestine order of hunters.

“For better or worse," Zeph replied. "Freshly turned. Gervand wanted her.”

The man nodded gravely. "We've had whispers of his new obsession. Come."

He led Lyka to a secluded chamber, motioning for Zeph to remain outside. Once the door closed, he studied Lyka with a disarming intensity. "My name is Eliazar. Welcome to the Brethren, young one."

Lyka shivered. Not exactly the greeting she'd imagined.

"Gervand is powerful," Eliazar continued. "We rarely tangle with his kind. Why did he target you?"

Lyka swallowed the panic rising in her throat. It had only been hours since her ordinary life ended, yet it felt impossibly distant. "I – I don't know."

Eliazar' eyes narrowed in assessment. "What have you seen of his operation?"

She described the dungeon, the young girl, Gervand’s strange words. Eliazar listened intently, nodding at certain details.

"You have survived a harrowing ordeal," he said at last. "Yet, amidst this terror, an opportunity presents itself. Gervand believes you special. We can use that."

Lyka's eyes widened. Play the role of bait? It was madness. Yet, was there another option?

"The choice is yours," Eliazar said, sensing her turmoil. "Walk out that door and disappear, if you can. Or stay, and find a way to fight back. Become a blade in the darkness, even if that darkness is now a part of you."


-oOo-


Lyka’s head spun. Freedom was a tempting phantom – run and never look back. Yet, the terrified face of that young girl flashed before her eyes. How many others were still trapped in those dungeons?

"I can't just leave," she blurted out, hating how small her voice sounded.

Eliazar smiled, thin and humorless. "Excellent. I was hoping for that spirit he so admired."

For the next few days, Lyka became more shadow than woman. She learned to control the monstrous urges that thrummed beneath her skin – the thirst, the startling strength, the way shadows seemed to welcome her. The Brethren became her reluctant family; sparring sessions with Zeph left her bruised but more capable.

Eliazar was the true enigma. He spent hours with her, delving into the lore of vampires, their weaknesses, the twisted lineage from which Gervand likely stemmed. He was a master strategist, and Lyka began to grasp the terrifying truth – she wasn't just bait. She was meant to be a weapon.

One moonless night, they struck. Lyka, heart a sickening drumbeat in her chest, moved silently through the tunnels beneath Gervand's lair. It was eerily familiar. Every instinct screamed at her to run, yet with each step, a fierce determination took hold.

Zeph and two others materialized from the darkness, weapons ready. "Entrance is ahead," Zeph said, her eyes glinting with a hunter's thrill. "You know your part?"

Lyka nodded jerkily. Distraction. Sacrifice? She refused to dwell on that.

They stormed the dungeon. Vampires snarled in surprise, their eyes flaring red in the gloom. Lyka was a blur of motion. Her newfound strength, channeled through focused rage, made her a whirlwind of blows. Gervand's people were strong, but unprepared, and Lyka was anything but predictable.

And then, he was there. Gervand, eyes blazing with fury as he flung a Brethren hunter across the room.

"Lyka," he purred, his accent laced with mockery. "Back for more?"

"I’m here to finish this," she snarled back.

Their duel was savage, less like a fight and more like a storm given shape. Gervand had centuries of experience on his side, but Lyka had desperation burning bright. She moved with preternatural reflexes, dodging his lethal blows.

The rest of the battle raged around them. Shouts, metal clashing, the sickening sounds of the hunt – it all faded until there was just her, Gervand, and the monstrous, primal hunger that throbbed just beneath the surface of both of them.

In the end, it was cunning, not strength, that tilted the balance. Lyka feinted a move Zeph had drilled into her, and when Gervand reacted predictably, she struck. Her blade pierced his heart with a terrible finality.

Gervand stared at her in disbelief as he crumbled to ash.

The battle over, exhausted and slick with sweat and blood, Lyka swayed. The Brethren surged towards her, but it was Eliazar who appeared at her side.

"Well done," he said quietly. There was respect in his eyes, and something akin to pity.

For Lyka, there was only the hollow echo of victory, and the constant, whispering knowledge that the darkness, now woven into her very being, would be with her forever.


-oOo-


The days following Gervand's defeat were a blur. The Brethren cleaned up, disposing of vampire remains and vanishing without a trace from their makeshift lair. Lyka, though deemed a hero of sorts, felt nothing like it. Instead, a chilling numbness settled over her.

"You need time," Eliazar told her, his usual sternness softened. He granted her a reprieve from the endless training and relentless strategizing.

Left to her own devices, Lyka sought solace in unlikely places: the Brethren's extensive library. It was there, nestled among dusty tomes and forgotten scrolls, that something caught her eye. An ancient, leather-bound book titled, "The Sanguine Path and Its Discontents".

Intrigued, she curled up in a forgotten corner, sunlight filtering through stained glass. The book spoke of a hidden history of vampires. There were whispers of those who walked the night without succumbing to their baser instincts, factions that resisted Gervand's kind – the bloodthirsty and domineering.

A flicker of hope ignited in Lyka's chest. Was there a way to exist without becoming a monster?

With renewed determination, she sought out Eliazar. "There's another way," she told him, holding up the book as evidence.

Eliazar frowned, skimming the text with a critical eye. "Legends, mostly. Vampires who live in balance...who control the hunger. It's a fool's hope."

"And what if it isn't?" Lyka countered, a defiant spark in her eyes. "I won't become like him, like Gervand."

Eliazar sighed, a long, weary exhale. "It's a path fraught with danger, Lyka. Constant struggle, isolation."

"I'd rather face that than become the thing I hate," she retorted.

He regarded her for a long moment, then nodded. "Very well. I will help you find this…balance. But be warned, child, it is a road few have walked successfully."

Thus began Lyka's second transformation. It was less physical and more a battle of will. There were meditation sessions, ancient breathing techniques gleaned from the book, and a frustrating regimen of controlled exposure to blood.

Zeph sparred with her, testing not just Lyka's fighting skills, but her control. At first, the scent of her own blood – a tiny scratch on a finger – would make Lyka snarl, her vision blurring with crimson. Yet with each passing day, the monstrous cravings lessened their grip.

Nights were the worst. The hunger became a living thing, whispering promises of power and release. More than once she awoke in a cold sweat, the urge to hunt burning bright.

Yet, she persevered. She thought of the people in the city, the innocent faces Gervand had preyed upon. She thought of the terrified girl in the dungeon, and the fierce hope in Eliazar' eyes, the hope that Lyka could be different, could be better.

Would this new path lead to salvation or a different kind of monstrousness? Lyka didn't know. But as the weeks turned into months, the hunger, though still present, became a companion she could control rather than a master she must obey.


-oOo-


A year passed. Lyka stood on a windswept cliffside, watching the storm-churned sea below. Salt and rain whipped her hair, a cleansing chill that mirrored her inner state.

"Control," Eliazar had told her, "is never absolute. It is a constant, conscious choice." And she had chosen, over and over, day after relentless day.

Her time with the Brethren had morphed into something undefined. She wasn't fully one of them, couldn't be, but her skills were invaluable. They relied on her preternatural strength, her ability to track vampires by scent, senses sharpened by her transformation.

Yet, she remained an outlier, a whisper of the 'Sanguine Path' – the path of balance – that she still stubbornly clung to. Some nights, the old hunger roared, a beast desperate to break free. In those moments, she would escape to this isolated cliff and let it out - raw, terrifying, and contained to this lonely stretch of shore.

Her phone buzzed - an encoded message from Zeph. A new nest had been spotted, preying not only on the innocent but on other vampires. Gervand's death had left a power vacuum, and the city was becoming a warzone.

A weary sigh escaped Lyka's lips. Her days of solitude were numbered. She touched a rough scar tracing her palm, a reminder of a night the beast almost won. It was time to return to the city, to walk the razor's edge of her existence. The Brethren needed her, and perhaps the darkness within her could serve some semblance of good.

The hunt went badly from the start. This new coven was organized, vicious. They anticipated the ambush, turning the tables on the Brethren with unnerving ease. Amidst the chaos, Lyka found herself locked in a dance of blades with a strikingly beautiful vampire. Her movements were elegant, yet brutal, her eyes the deep sapphire blue that marked an ancient bloodline.

As their blades clashed, the vampire let out a soft laugh. "The Brethren's pet monster," she mocked, her voice a melodic taunt. "Do they truly believe you're anything more?"

Fury ignited in Lyka. Not because the words hurt, they were painfully true, but because it was a tactic designed to make her lose control, to unleash the beast within.

Lyka redoubled her attacks, each blow deliberate, fueled by focus, not rage. She disarmed the beautiful vampire, pressing the tip of her blade to the woman's throat.

The sapphire eyes widened in surprise, then narrowed in calculation. "Interesting," she purred.

"Enough," barked Zeph, emerging from the fray. "Restrain her."

The other vampire offered no resistance, a flicker of amusement playing on her lips.

"Her name is Lyra," Zeph informed Lyka later, in a secure room buzzing with post-battle tension. "Old blood, very old. We don't know what her coven wants, but their tactics...they don't feel like the usual grab for power."

Lyka stared at the projected image of Lyra, held captive. The elegant features, the defiant smirk – a mirror of what Lyka could have been, what she still might become.

"Perhaps," Eliazar interjected, a shrewd gleam in his eye, "it's time you find out."


-oOo-


The plan was as audacious as it was dangerous. Lyka would pretend to have lost control, a vampire gone rogue, a creature too hungry and unpredictable to remain among the Brethren. The act was distressingly easy. A touch of theatrics, a few carefully aimed blows to disarm her sparring partners, and a wild, blood-crazed look that sent a chill down even Zeph's spine.

Released at the edge of the city, Lyka vanished into the night, following a trail of carefully planted clues that would eventually lead to Lyra's coven. It felt wrong to use cunning instead of force, a tactic she'd despised in Gervand, but the stakes were different now.

Days turned into nights. Lyka lurked on the fringes of civilization, feeding sparingly, a shadow in the shadows. She studied the movement of vampire factions, the chaotic flux in the aftermath of Gervand's death. It was almost a relief to act the monster; the fear in people's eyes was honest, the disgust predictable. At least it was no longer aimed at the human woman trying to walk a path only hinted at in dusty legends.

And then, precisely as planned, Lyra's hunters found her. Or rather, she let herself be found, feigning frenzied hunger as they cornered her in a deserted warehouse. Four against one, they assumed it would be an easy capture.

Lyka fought viciously, desperately, just enough to seem believable. And when the moment came, she crumpled, playing the wounded animal just perfectly.

They bound her, suspicious, yet the lure of a newly turned, unstable vampire was too strong an opportunity for Lyra's faction to pass up. Lyka was brought to their lair, a crumbling gothic mansion on the city's outskirts. Within its walls, she felt an ancient thrum of power, unlike anything she'd encountered with Gervand.

Lyra waited for her in a room of shadowed grandeur. "Welcome," she purred, mockery softened by genuine curiosity. "Do you remember me, pet?"

"I remember nearly killing you," Lyka retorted, her voice rough with calculated bravado.

Lyra laughed, a low, throaty sound. "A pity you didn't. You have spirit, I'll grant you that. And your control...it's intriguing."

"I need to feed." Lyka made a point of licking her lips, let her eyes flash red.

"Of course," Lyra smiled, and what Lyka saw in that smile made her blood run cold. This wasn't ambition or hunger for power in Lyra's gaze. It was something else entirely – a fervor bordering on zealotry.

They brought her a victim - a man, bound and terrified. Lyka fought against the surge of hunger, but her performance had to be flawless. Lyra watched with clinical interest.

When Lyka drained the man, she felt Lyra's gaze on her, not in judgment, but in assessment. Whatever this coven sought, it was something far greater than mere territory, and Lyka was now a key piece on their chilling chessboard.


-oOo-


Life within Lyra's coven was a strange contradiction. Despite the undercurrent of menace, there was discipline and an odd sort of camaraderie. These vampires weren't power-hungry predators like Gervand and his brood. They trained, they sparred, and they studied with a near-religious intensity.

Lyka's deception grew ever more intricate. She played the role of the feral, slightly dim-witted convert, eager to learn and easily manipulated. Trust was a fragile thing within the coven, but gradually, she was given tasks, errands, minor responsibilities.

And always, she observed. She mapped out the mansion's hidden passages, marked the patrols' patterns. She overheard whispered conversations about rituals, about an ancient prophecy, about something they called "the Unmaking".

One night, curiosity and a well-honed instinct led her to the mansion's vast, forgotten library. The knowledge contained here was forbidden to new initiates like herself. Yet, the allure was irresistible.

It was here that she found it: a worn tome, bound in cracked leather and smelling of age and forgotten magic. With trembling hands, she opened it. And what she read turned her blood to ice.

Lyra's coven was far older than Lyka imagined, and their goal was terrifying - nothing less than the breaking of an ancient pact, a treaty believed to maintain balance between the human and the unseen. If the prophecy in the book was true, their ritual would plunge the world into a war of shadows, monstrous forces unleashed, and human cities falling to ruin.

Lyka staggered back, the book slipping from her grip. She had to tell Eliazar, warn the Brethren. But now, she was too deep within the lion's den. Escape meant raising the alarm, exposing her deception, and potentially ruining the only chance the Brethren had to stop this madness.

The sound of soft footsteps broke her panicked thoughts. Lyra stood at the library entrance, her expression inscrutable.

"Looking for bedtime stories, my dear?" Lyra asked. Her voice was deceptively sweet.

Lyka swallowed. "Just... curious." She kept the tremble from her voice with an effort.

Lyra approached, a predatory grace in her step. "You were always an unusual one," she mused, "that spark the Brethren tried so desperately to snuff out."

"They failed," Lyka snapped, defiance fueled by fear.

Lyra tilted her head, studying Lyka. "Indeed. Perhaps..." The vampiress stepped even closer, "your path lies with us. The Unmaking will bring a new age. An age where creatures like us walk openly, the natural order restored."

Lyka felt a wave of revulsion. "And the bloodshed? The humans you'll slaughter?"

Lyra shrugged delicately. "Necessary casualties for a greater good."

Lyka was trapped. To expose herself now would not only endanger her but potentially all of humankind. She had to continue the charade, gather more intelligence, and pray for a way to send a warning to the Brethren, a sign small enough to avoid Lyra's ever-watchful eyes. With every passing day, the ritual drew nearer, and Lyka walked a tightrope between salvation and a monstrous destiny.


-oOo-


Lyka became a creature of two faces. By day, the obedient, even enthusiastic acolyte, eagerly learning the rituals that would tip the world into chaos. By night, she was a desperate hunter, searching for a crack in Lyra's intricate web, a way to signal Eliazar without betraying herself entirely.

Her one unexpected ally was a young vampire named Kael. He was barely older in vampire years than Lyka herself, with a gentle heart that seemed at odds with his monstrous nature. He sensed her unease, yet attributed it to the common unrest of the newly turned.

One moonless night, he found her in the secluded garden, her control slipping, her hands trembling with the effort of not reaching for his throat.

"The hunger…it never goes away," Kael said quietly, not in accusation, but in sorrowful understanding.

Lyka finally let the mask slip. "It doesn't have to be this way," she whispered. "There are other paths."

Kael's eyes widened in a mix of hope and fear. The risk Lyka took in confiding in him was monumental, but she was growing desperate.

In the weeks that followed, they formed a tenuous bond. Kael, disillusioned by Lyra's fanaticism, became her eyes and ears inside the coven. He relayed information on the ritual's timing, on the defenses, and on Lyra's inner circle. Most importantly, he agreed to help Lyka send her message.

The plan was as desperate as it was simple. There was an old sundial in the garden, meticulously cared for despite its lack of function for vampires. With painstaking precision, Lyka would scratch coded messages into its base – dates, times, key phrases – only visible under the light of a specific moon phase. From the cliffs where Eliazar often kept watch, he would be able to pick out the message with a spyglass.

The ritual's eve arrived. The mansion buzzed with a volatile energy. Lyka's heart pounded a sickening tattoo against her ribs. As the full moon rose, she slipped into the garden, hands shaking as she etched the final part of her message onto the sundial.

A shadow fell across her. Kael, not Lyra.

"They suspect," he said, his voice low and urgent. "They know about the Brethren, and perhaps even about you."

Lyka's blood turned to ice. "How?"

"Lyra has...ways of knowing things," Kael said, his eyes filled with a haunted look.

Lyka had been played. Every ounce of trust she had garnered, every piece of knowledge she had fed the Brethren, was a lie - a trap set by Lyra.

"You must get away," Kael urged, "before the ritual begins. They will sense your change, then you're truly lost."

He risked everything to give her this warning. Lyka knew what she had to do.

She sprinted. Not for escape, but towards the heart of the chaos. If the Brethren attacked now, with Lyka at the center of the ritual, perhaps, just perhaps, the element of surprise could turn the tide.


-oOo-


Chaos descended as Lyka charged into the ritual chamber. Vampires, their eyes glowing with fervor, chanted around an ancient stone altar. Lyra, her eyes blazing with otherworldly power, stood in the center, arms raised, a conduit for arcane forces.

"Traitor!" Lyra's voice echoed, laced with an icy rage that cut through the chanting. The ritual faltered, the air sparking with unstable energy.

Lyka, in that moment, made a desperate gamble. With a roar, she broke through the circle of chanting vampires, not with the grace of a predator, but with the reckless desperation of the damned.

The power backlash sent them all reeling. Lyka, closest to the epicenter, was flung back, her skin tingling as the ritual's energy seared her.

And then the Brethren came. Not stealthily, but in a thundering wave. Zeph burst through a stained-glass window, a battle cry shattering the unnatural silence. Eliazar, ancient and terrible, followed, his blades gleaming with righteous fury.

The coven, expecting an ambush, was momentarily caught off guard by Lyka's disruption and the frontal assault. Battle erupted in a whirlwind of shouts, snarls, and clashing steel.

In the heart of the chaos, Lyka was a force of nature. She was no master swordswoman, but neither was she merely a victim. Fueled by despair and a fierce will to break the prophecy, she fought like a woman possessed.

Around her, the tide began to turn. The Brethren, masters of precision and planning, held their own against superior numbers. And though weaker, Kael fought at her side, his newfound loyalty a fragile, precious thing in the carnage.

Lyra, enraged, broke free of the fray. Lyka faced her alone, surrounded by the wreckage of the ritual chamber. The air thrummed dangerously, the ritual nearly complete.

"It will not be stopped," Lyra snarled, advancing upon Lyka.

"Maybe not," Lyka retorted, her voice ragged. "But you will be."

Their battle wasn't one of elegance, but of raw, brutal will. Lyka, injured and running on fumes, used every ounce of strength, every trick Eliazar had beaten into her. She dodged a killing blow, rolling behind a shattered statue.

In that second, Eliazar surged forward. Time seemed to slow. His weathered face was creased in grim determination, and his blade flashed out, not towards Lyra, but towards the stone altar, the heart of the ritual. With a mighty blow, he struck.

A shriek of unimaginable rage pierced the air as the altar cracked. Arcane energies lashed out, and Lyra, tethered too tightly to the ritual, was caught in the backlash. She was consumed in a blinding flash, her essence dissipating into ash.

The coven faltered. Their leader destroyed, the prophecy shattered, their fervor turned to confusion. Seeing their chance, the Brethren pressed their advantage. Some vampires surrendered, broken by the events. Others fought to their last, unyielding in defeat.

In the eerie silence that followed, Lyka stumbled towards the shattered remains of the altar. Scorch marks marred the ancient stone, a testament to the destructive forces nearly unleashed upon the world.

Eliazar and Zeph appeared at her side, battered but alive. Lyka was too numb for tears, or even relief. She simply stared at the wreckage, her body battered, her spirit heavy with the knowledge of the path she had walked, and the one she must now continue upon.

As they left the ruined mansion, a sliver of dawn painted the sky. The world was safe, for now. But Lyka knew that shadows still lurked, and somewhere out there, a new threat would inevitably rise. And it would be up to her, this creature forever caught between human and monstrous, to face it.


-oOo-


Years passed, blurring into a cycle of ceaseless vigilance. Lyka became a ghost story whispered among both humans and vampires – the Shadow Walker, a protector and a grim reminder that the divide between worlds was thinner than most believed.

Zeph remained her steadfast, if reluctant, partner. Their bond, forged in the fires of that first battle, was one of gruff respect rather than friendship. Even Zeph couldn't deny Lyka's effectiveness, her uncanny instincts honed in the twilight spaces between predator and prey.

Eliazar, now weathered and burdened, led a reformed Brethren. The hunters understood now that vampires were not monolithic; that the lines between good and evil could blur even within a monstrous existence. Lyka was their tenuous bridge to the vampire underworld, a chillingly effective deterrent.

There were nights of quiet, sitting by a bonfire within the Brethren's sanctuary, when Lyka almost felt a semblance of peace. She had helped countless innocents, foiled dark plots, even, on occasion, saved vampires from their own baser urges. Yet, there was always the gnawing emptiness within, the echo of hunger, the memory of the path she could have walked.

Kael found her once. He aged more slowly than a human, but the years still showed in the lines on his face, in the sorrow tempering his kind eyes. They never spoke of the past, or of Lyra's shattered coven. Instead, he told her of the quiet work he did now, helping those newly turned who sought a life beyond monstrousness.

"It's not many," he admitted, a ghost of a smile playing on his lips. "But it's something."

Lyka nodded, understanding the weight of those words. It was her 'something' too.

One morning, as the dawn painted the sky in soft hues of redemption, she received a summons from Eliazar. The old hunter's eyes were troubled, yet alight with a strange new purpose.

"We have word of a gathering," he said gravely. "Vampires far and wide, whispering of change. Not of war or conquest, but of... balance."

Lyka felt a jolt she hadn't experienced in ages – hope. It was a fragile, foolish thing, likely to be crushed like an insect. Yet, in that moment, facing the unknown with a sliver of hard-won optimism, she finally felt not like a monster or a pawn, but like a woman walking her own, impossible path.

The future remained uncertain. But after a lifetime lingering in shadows, Lyka was ready to face it, not with a warrior's certainty, but with the unwavering resolve of a survivor.



WORD COUNT: 5985 Words
© Copyright 2024 GERVIC 🐉 House Targaryen (gervic at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2317550-Taken-in-the-Night