*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2317761-Mirror-Mirror
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Emotional · #2317761
Michelina wakes up in a different time and place.



Michelina was spent, both physically and emotionally. She would categorize it as the worst day of her life, with no holds barred. Her eyelids grew heavy as she tried to escape the day by scrolling through Instagram. She knew staying awake for another hour was out of the question, but her stubborn Irish pride was determined.

One dance video blurred into a politician screaming about nonsensical bullshit until sleep beckoned pulling her under.

The constant tapping of a hammer awoke her with a start. She only wanted to pull the pillow over her head and slide deeper under the heavy blanket. The sound persisted, and Michelina grew angry that her neighbor was working on his stupid shed so early. That guy was always building or fixing something.

Tossing back the blanket, she was immediately assaulted by the icy floor. “What the hell?” She looked down at her bare feet and gasped. Since when did she have a plank floor? Where was the cushy plush carpet? Deciding she must be dreaming, Michelina rubbed her eyes, and the tapping began again.

“That’s it!”

She marched across the room, her eyes taking in the unfamiliar surroundings. She made it as far as the open doorway before she turned back and perused the room. No nightstand. No pretty violet curtains. No down comforter. Her bed was half its normal size. She spun around in a circle as panic set in. Where am I? How did I get here?

Michelina saw herself in a broken mirror leaning against a wall covered with white and red flowered wallpaper. Strand of her auburn hair had tumbled from a bun atop her head, and she was wearing an old-fashioned nightgown, complete with ruffles. Her stomach churned at the sight. If she didn’t know any better, she would’ve thought she was standing in the middle of the 1800s.

Tap. Tap. Tap.

Back at the doorway, she waited, the tapping growing louder. Was it coming from inside the house? Dare she investigate? Her mind whirled with questions she couldn’t answer in these unfamiliar surroundings. She needed to figure out what was going on. Taking a deep breath, she stepped into the wide hallway, determined to find the source of the incessant tapping. Her heart pounded faster with every step, like a beating drum in her ear.

The short distance took her past an open doorway of a child’s room, complete with an antique cradle, a wooden doll, and a large wooden dollhouse. Now she knew she was losing her mind.

Michelina continued moving forward on shaky legs, afraid of staying put, and scared to find out what lay beyond the hallway.

The hall opened up to a large room cluttered with antique furniture. Upholstered dining chairs sat upside down around a long mahogany table. A large pink and black Persian rug sat in the middle of the room, surrounded by two tufted sofas and armchairs. The room reminded her of something straight out of Pride and Prejudice. Her temples pulsed.

Tap. Tap. Tap.

And then–a laugh. A man’s deep laugh caught her attention. The sound vibrated off the walls as she turned to see an adjacent doorway. The tapping and the laughter had to be coming from there. As she stepped forward, her knee buckled. Michelina reached out for the armchair to steady herself.

Dear God, what is happening to me?

Just a few more steps and she would know. Another deep steadying breath, two steps forward. Finally, she made it to the doorway. Her eyes grew wide seeing a tall, lean man’s back. He wore trousers with suspenders dangling at his sides. She reached out to grasp the doorway, a chill traveling down her spine.

He was familiar to her. The wide expanse of his shoulders, the light brown hair that curled around his neck and ears, but it couldn’t be. No. Her beloved had died a decade ago. Michelina shook her head and rubbed her eyes. She had to be in a dream-like state she couldn’t wake up from.

“Mama,” a child’s voice cried.

The man turned and her breath caught. Cooper.


“There you are,” he said, a crooked smile on his rugged face.

A cold chill ran down her spine making her shiver.

“We thought we’d let you sleep in this morning, didn’t we pumpkin,” Cooper said, addressing the little girl sitting in a wooden highchair. He reached out and tapped her nose and she giggled.

Michelina’s heart thundered, her mind caught in a frenzy of disbelief. How can this be? It couldn’t. She pinched her arm, hoping to force herself away, but pain shot up her arm.

“Come on, Michy, you need to sit down and eat. You know Doc said you need to take it easy these next few days, and food is essential to getting your strength back.”

“My strength back?” What was he talking about?

Cooper chuckled and moved toward her. Michelina took a retreating step. If he touched, she would know if was all a dream. Her heart ached to touch him, to know he was a solid, living, breathing man again, but fear wrapped around her heart, squeezing. If she woke up, he’d be gone and she’d be all alone again. She didn’t know if she could go through that loss again. Once nearly destroyed her.

He stood mere inches away, his brows knitted together in question. “What is the matter with you?” he asked.

“Cooper?”

That dreamy smile enveloped his face. “Yes, my love?”

It was real, he was here! But where was here?

He reached out and rested his hand on her cheek. Michelina closed her eyes and leaned into the warmth of his palm. He was home. Or was she?



WC: 952

My signature for GOT 2024

Prompt 15 - 15. Write about a character who wakes up in their past life, or as a future reincarnation of themself.
© Copyright 2024 Purple is House Florent (purpleprincess at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2317761-Mirror-Mirror