*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2317930-A-Sieve-For-A-Brain-Can-Save-You
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Crime/Gangster · #2317930
Midge finds herself in trouble. 300 words
A Sieve For A Brain Can Save You


Midge sat at her desk drinking an actually hot cup of coffee. This was unusual, since coffee break seemed to be the time when she got the most calls that needed immediate attention. Something cold and tubular pressed into the back of her head.

“What’s the password?”

The voice was familiar but seemed muffled.

“Obed, what are you doing?”

The cold metal left her neck.

“How did you know it was me?” he said.

“Just guessing.”

I felt something prick my neck and my heart leapt into my throat.

“Tell me the password!”

“Which one?”

“There’s more than one?”

“Of course, there is!”

“Okay, the one for the main vault.”

I rattled off one.

“It’s not working. Try again, Midge!”

I gave him a different one. While he was trying it on his phone, I pressed my under-desk silent alarm.

“You’re trying my patience, midget!

I could feel my anger rising. I slipped off my headset, dropping it behind my head and wrapping the cord around the hand holding the knife. I heard a slight clang as it fell to the floor.

“All right, mister! Step back slowly from the lady!”

By the time I had turned my chair to see what was happening, cops were on Obed and had him cuffed.

“You know all the passwords, don’t you?” my boss asked later.

“I have an eidetic memory, so yes!”

“For saving our company from a thief, you deserve a big raise and maybe a promotion!”

“I’ll take the first one, but I definitely don’t want the second,” Midge said politely.

Her boss was amazed, but everyone who knew her could have told him. She loved being front of house and the first line of defense against anything that threatened her company.
© Copyright 2024 dragonwoman (draygonlayd60 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2317930-A-Sieve-For-A-Brain-Can-Save-You