*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2318167-Whats-That
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Animal · #2318167
A night in the life of two dogs, one of whom thinks he's a watchdog. 222 words
What's That?


Carl sat up, instantly alert. He wuffed softly.

“I heard a noise.”

Biggie opened one eye and snuffed.

“Go back to sleep it’s probably just the wind.”

Carl got up and went to the door. He sniffed the crack of it.

“Our hoomans are in trouble, let’s go out and save them!”

“The house is locked up, windows closed. They’re safe, youngster.”

“I think you’re wrong! I wanna check!”

Biggie heaved a sigh and dragged himself up.

“Okay, let’s reconnoiter, kid.”

Biggie led the way, with Carl trotting along behind. First, they went upstairs, to check the bedrooms.

“They’re all asleep, satisfied?”

Carl moved downstairs, ignoring the older dog. Biggie ran past him and went to each door and listened and sniffed. Carl repeated what he did to be sure.

Carl jumped up and put his feet on the living room windowsills, scanning the outside and listening with all his might. Biggie moved to the couch and settled down, keeping an eye on his young housemate.

“Are you happy yet, kid?” Biggie asked with a huge yawn.

“I guess we’re all okay,” Carl said with reluctance. He left his post at the windows and joined Biggie on the couch.

“I’ll just keep watch from here,” he said to Biggie.

Soon the two French bulldogs were snoring as only bulldogs can.
© Copyright 2024 dragonwoman (draygonlayd60 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2318167-Whats-That