*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2318960-The-Shed-Incident
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2318960
Flash Fiction
The Shed Incident

I had to paint the shed. It was beginning to look as if we planned to tear it down and got distracted.

Inside was perfect. When we bought the house, he planned on using it as kind of a studio. He could do his work, play his guitar, be busy and out of the way. And I’m sure, not have me interrupting him every ten minutes with other issues. George likes solitude.

Anyway, he was in charge of the inside, me the outside. It happened because he was going to paint the outside blue. Blue! I love my yard, my gardens, my birds, I can’t have a blue shed sitting in the middle of all that! Well, that worked, except the keep it up part. I like gardening, I do not like painting.

Basically, all I had to do was sand a couple rough spots, then paint it the lovely creamy color that matched the house. I already had the paint.

The first spot was next to the grass, easy to get to. The second spot, around a round window up near the peak. The edges of the circle had to be sanded too. Out came the ladder.

Immediately out came George! “What are you doing?!” He’s literally the only person who knows how clumsy I can be… I‘m very careful in public! Our own private yard is not public. Knowing me, he chose to do the sanding, and because it was now his project… he also did the painting!

This was a defining moment in our marriage. I’m not ashamed, I had immediately learned how to get him to do things that I didn’t want to do! Yes, that’s sneaky… but still, it works! Fifty-six years this March, we are still happily married.
© Copyright 2024 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2318960-The-Shed-Incident