*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2319074-Grammie-Smiled
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2319074
Flash Fiction
Grammie Smiled

“What’s the name of that song?”

“What song?” Jeff asked.

“The one they’re playing…” Jeff said, stopping in the aisle. “I know it, but I just can’t remember it.”

Alex stopped and listened a moment, “I don’t know. I don’t think I ever heard it before.”

“Come on, it’s as old as the hills, you must have heard it.”

“How?”

“TV, radio, don’t you have music on your watch? I had it on mine when I had that watch…”

“We don’t play the radio often, and my dad always watches old westerns so I don’t hang around and watch TV much. My baby sister has music boxes, maybe you remember it from being a baby…” he snickered at his little joke.

“No,” Jeff said, still serious, “I know this song, I just can’t remember what it is.” He actually started humming along as it played.

Suddenly he stopped, whirled around so fast he almost knocked Alex over. He was smiling ear to ear, and broke into song to the music!

“…and always on a sunny day!” he finished, as the music came to a vibrant end.

All the customers near-by started clapping! One older woman said, “You just made my day, I love that song!”

As they all calmed down and began walking away, Alex asked, “What just happened?”

“I finally remembered the song! I used to hear it all the time at my grandmother’s house!”

“Your grandmother? Does she live around here?”

“No, she passed away years ago. Wait a minute!” he looked at his watch, “Today would have been her birthday! Happy Birthday Gram!” he shouted out. Many of the people who had heard him singing actually stopped, and clapped again!

As the boys left the store, still laughing and talking about the weird excitement, Grammie smiled.
© Copyright 2024 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2319074-Grammie-Smiled