*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2318984-Invisibility-Potion
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Action/Adventure · #2318984
Theresa heads out to investigate what is happening across the realm.
The powers of invisibility were intriguing indeed, but how they worked was a mystery Theresa needed to uncover immediately. Time was of the essence, battle lines drawn, conspiring had begun, bickering, and backstabbing were afoot. All she needed to do was to slip into each chamber undetected, gather helpful information, and report back. Easy task, yes?

It did sound easy, though there was a sense of fear to this mission. What if the spell didn't last long enough for her to escape? What if she were caught red-handed? What would the other Houses do to her? She had so many questions and didn't have time to waste thinking about the What-ifs. It was either now or never.

She moved to the corner of the chamber, all eyes upon her, watching as she picked up the pretty aquamarine vial, her birthstone color, which had to be good luck. She would rely on that luck and push the boundaries of magic and personal beliefs. Twisting the silver lid off, she took a deep breath, preparing her mind and body to venture forward.

“Remember,” Lyn said. “You don't need all of it, just a little bit should last a few hours.”

“Got it.” With that, she took a swig from the vial. The blue contents were pleasant enough with a hint of blueberry, but the liquid caused heat to rush through her body, beginning in her chest, down to her feet, and straight up to her head. The sensation made her dizzy for a few seconds, but she wasn’t positive she’d taken enough of the magical potion. Theresa took a second sip to ensure it was effective, that it worked quickly, and that she could begin her mission.

Sandra gasped.

“Whoa,” Angelica whispered.

Megan was silent, staring at her hard, her eyes wide.

Looking at Lyn, Theresa could tell something must be happening because Lyn's mouth hung open.

“You're fading, I can see right through you,” Lyn said.

Theresa looked down at her hands, the vial almost suspended in the air because her flesh was disappearing.

“Fantastic. I can't believe it works!” A rush of power washed through her, matching that of the tidal wave of heat coursing throughout her body. She felt lighter, almost feather-like as the rest of her body completely disappeared.

“If it weren’t for the potion in your hand, I would have no idea where you were,” Megan said.

“So I can’t take it with me just in case. I’ll have no choice but to leave it here.” Theresa moved forward and set the potion on the table. Just to test this out and ensure it was indeed working and that she was genuinely invisible, she headed toward Sandra, who stood across the room. The more she walked, the more she realized she was floating. Her feet were not touching the ground any longer.

Reaching out, she placed her hand on Sandra’s shoulder. Nothing. No movement, she hadn’t even felt her there.

“Sandra,” Theresa said, making her jump.

“Don’t do that!” Sandra yelled.

“Sorry. Ok, I’m off. I’ll be back as soon as possible. I’m heading to the Nightswatch first, then on to the Freefolk if this potion lasts.”

“We’ll be waiting,” Lyn said.

Theresa soared out of the room, wondering if her weightlessness would hinder her movement, and thrilled when it didn’t. It was too bad she didn’t have the power of speed as well to make this a quick jaunt.

She kept a steady pace and constantly put her hand in front of her face to double-check that she was still invisible. It would be awful if the spell wore off and she was suddenly standing somewhere naked for anyone to take notice of.

She reached the Nightswatch, headed inside, and couldn’t believe it was virtually empty, aside from a few people mingling about. She stepped closer to them, listening to them complain about the disappearance of the others. If they’d disappeared, then this was a wasted trip. She lingered around, checking out rooms, looking for clues, but came up empty.

“Time to move on,” she said.

It wasn’t long before she approached the Freefolk, where a flurry of activity was going on. Jaramee seemed to be everywhere all at once an uncontainable force, Buddhangela was freaking out in the corner, shouting about spells and strange happenings, ready to run and hide. Jaeff, Aennaytte, and Jaeyne were huddled in the corner of the room, plotting, lists of tasks and approaches to gaining the upper hand a mile long. They hardly paid any attention to the meltdown before their eyes, like they thought it would pass soon enough.

Before leaving, Theresa bumped into the table next to the door, causing a stir among everyone in the room. She stood still, waiting to be caught, but nothing happened.

“What was that?” Buddhangela asked. “I told you strange things are going on here.”

Jaeff moved closer to the table, and Theresa took that opportunity to make her escape.

“Let them wonder,” she whispered.

Not knowing how much time she had left, Theresa headed to Mormont, wondering if their House would be as chaotic as the Freefolk. Lady Elizabeth and Krista were busy pooling resources while Chris and Amethyst were discussing which task to do next, between complaining about being tired, and the sudden burst of heat surrounding them.

Had they noticed her? Theresa wondered. She didn’t want to stay and find out if the effects of the potion were waning. She slipped out as quietly as she’d slipped in.

Off to Martell where Lillith and Lornda were pacing, wondering how the Freefolk had managed to gain the upper hand so quickly. The House was quiet as they conversed, the others joining the, talking about the rumors they’d heard about spying for other Houses, and as they stared at one another, if was evident they were wondering if one of their own could be a plant for the Freefolk.

Targaryen was bustling as much as the Freefolk. The similarities were mind-blowing, almost as if they had teamed up to divide and conquer. This left Theresa wondering what they had in store for Florent. If the theory of a spy were true, who was the spy in Florent? Is there one? She shook her head, not wanting to think about that until she’d made it to Lannister.

Lannister wasn’t as frantic as Targaryen, and Theresa felt her body tingling as her feet brushed across the ground. The spell was waning. She needed to make this a quick trip. Entering through a side door, she spotted Kit and Tracy, heads together, whispering as if they believed someone was taking notes about their conversation.

“I heard from Kiya that all of these potions are causing issues. She wouldn’t elaborate, but something is going on,” Kit said.

“I’m not surprised. The game itself has been grueling, and it’s caused a ripple effect in some relationships. I swear everyone is a frenemy, you don’t know who you can trust,” Tracy said shaking her head.

As she stepped forward, Kit turned her head, her eyes squinting, and Theresa knew she was busted. How would she explain this one?


WC: 1191

Potion #3 - House Florent - My potion is for invisibility so Purple Celebrates can float in each teams small chamber to see what's going on without consequence for 72 hours.. Knowledge is power as the saying goes and keeping a close eye on those other houses will guide House Florent in the games.
© Copyright 2024 Purple Celebrates (purpleprincess at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2318984-Invisibility-Potion