*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2319128-The-Body-in-the-Tree
by KS23
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2319128
Source undetermined
The radio call came in at 7:15am. A jogger spotted what looked like a human caught in the branches atop a maple tree in Forest Park. The charred body was on its back resting on two slim branches.

At the scene, Fire Chief Todd Matlock was met by Stratorville Police Captain Mike Bricklin.

“It never rains, but it pours,” said Bricklin. “First the bizarre, massive fire at the fertilizer plant, and now this. You think it’s possible that body up there could’ve been blasted all the way here by the explosion?”

Matlock shook his head. “I don’t think so, Mike. That’s three miles away. Still, who knows. Hell, it’s even possible it was picked up by a helicopter bucket grabbing water from the lake. Did anyone see the body land in the tree?”

“No, but if it’s from the explosion, that happened about 3 in the morning.”

A minute later, the ladder truck and ambulance arrived. The fire truck shifted position several times searching for the best location to extend the aerial device amidst the maple’s many branches. Then, with the ladder raised, a fire fighter and an EMT began the difficult climb.

On the way a number of branches had to be trimmed, but the pair eventually reached the body. Taking a deep breath, the EMT reached for the neck to check for a pulse. As he gently pressed, the head rolled over, bringing the face in sight of the rescuers. One look at the open mouth and bright red lips and they sighed with relief and began laughing.

The fireman yelled down, “It’s not a body. Just an inflatable doll.”

The Chief and the Captain smiled and shook their heads .

To this day, however, the cause of the fire, and the source of the doll, remain undetermined.
© Copyright 2024 KS23 (kellyspring23 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2319128-The-Body-in-the-Tree