*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2319132-Millicent-and-Merrilee
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Short Story · Family · #2319132
Sibling rivalry.
         The doorbell chimed and Millicent grimaced. Passing the hall mirror she snuck one last glance at her appearance. God, I hate to admit it, but I look old. I don't remember ordering new wrinkles. When did those rascally hairs sprout on my chin? I don't have time to pluck them now. Ack, she won't spot them anyway. She's too vain to wear her glasses. The old bat is almost blind without them.
         With one last sigh and a conscious straightening of her shoulders Millicent plastered a grin on her face. One would be correct to assume it was not a welcoming one. She threw the door open. Show time.
         "Sister dear. It's so good to see you. How have you been?"
         The woman shifting from one stiletto-heeled foot to the other paused lifting the smoking cigarette to her crimson smeared lips. "It's about time you answered the door. Aren't you going to invite me in? Me? I'm as well as can be expected. Hurry up then."
         Millicent did not have time to count to ten before her twin sister Merrilee shoved past her. They exchanged the traditional air kisses. The smoke wafted in a stale cloud. The reluctant hostess waved at the plumes and stifled a cough. Her sibling would not see how her sudden appearance irked. She may well have a double chin now, but Millicent would keep them up. She'd read somewhere that would also pull those pesky telltale wrinkles tighter.
         "Millicent darling. Do loosen up. You seem so stiff. What are you repressing?"
         She's been here five whole seconds and already I can't wait to see the back of her. Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily, life is but a dream. Yep, the dream sister is back. Aren't I the lucky one?
         "Do you not own a pair of tweezers, sis? I couldn't help but notice those whiskers on your chin. Have you ever considered an exfoliant, or perhaps some hot wax? People swear by them. At our age, the maintenance must never be neglected."
         I wonder if I could wrap my hands around her scrawny neck and squeeze? She always said I inherited Dad's manly paws.
         "Would you care---?"
         Merrilee had ensconced herself upon the settee. As she preached, one never owned a simple couch. The smouldering ash hovered over the newly vacuumed carpet while Millicent ran to dig out an ashtray.
         "Well, can you offer me a cup of tea, or is that asking too much? Really, Millicent where are your manners? Mama would be rolling over in her grave. I did expound effort to make this visit."
         I can survive this. Soon enough she'll breeze out of here. I suppose it would be wishful thinking that she drown sipping her tea.
         Millicent stopped herself just in time. She almost curtsied as she set the one and only ashtray in front of her guest. Too late, she noticed the chip in one corner.
         "You still have that ghastly thing? I see you didn't care to purchase a new one for my benefit."
         "Don't you recognize it, then? I told you . It was Papa's. Am I to believe you don't recall how it came to be chipped?"
         Merrilee fluttered her fingers and sniffed. "Water under the proverbial bridge twin dearest. But then you always seem to dwell on the past."
         With a swipe Millicent grabbed the bit of battered glass and hefted it. She feinted as if to hurl it.
         "I still have the scar you gave me, sister dearest. You flung it at my head when Daddy praised my report card. It crashed against the dining room door. Mama said you never thought first. You are a reactor. "More like a nuclear reactor.
         Merrilee shrugged. "I guess that's my cue. I have another bombshell to drop on you. I sold my house and I've decided to move in with you. Someone should keep an eye on you in your impending dotage."
         Millicent couldn't recall what happened next. The sound of shattering glass echoed for what seemed like eons.           671 words, Her Story Prompt # 37
© Copyright 2024 SandraLynn Team Florent! (nannamom at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2319132-Millicent-and-Merrilee