*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2319158-Mirror-Reflections
Rated: E · Short Story · Fantasy · #2319158
I speak with my mirror...
Yesterday I mentioned a talking mirror and I'd like to explore that marvel a bit more. What's the harm? Is there an upside?
"Psst, hey mirror. You awake?"
"Of course I am. Why would I be sleeping? I just hang around all day. It's not as if I could walk away."
"Oh, sorry. I can't really see my reflection clearly. Are you sure you haven't dimmed?"
"We had this conversation. I told you the lighting in here isn't the best. Stop squinting! You're making me look bad. Turn on another lamp or something."
"There is that better? Oh, yep I see myself now. What do you think? Have I got it?"
"Got what? What are you asking?"
"You know, it. Do I have it? Am I special? Do I have that je ne sais quoi?"
"How would I know? And just for the record, I'm not French speaking. I prefer plain speech. I deal with reality, with what you can see under your nose. Well, if you care to look."
"Maybe I'd like to see a little less of me and more of myself."
"Huh? The reflection I generate is the bonafide you. Those are your own eyebrows aren't they?"
"Yes, I wake up with my own eyebrows already on my face. Sigh. Nowadays, I don't recognize that face staring back at me. I never had wrinkles and is that a double chin? Where did that moustache come from? Where did I go? It's odd, but it's like there's more of me and less of me."
"From where I'm situated, I'd agree there's more of you. You're a broad, right? You've grown haven't you? You're a broad sight bigger. It happens."
"But the true me does not look like this at all. What are those marks at the corners of my eyes? Have I been etched? Gasp! Are they crows' feet?"
"Why not think of them as laugh lines? You still have your sense of humour, right? All that guffawing left its mark. They show the world that you've been touched."
"Oh, I'm touched all right, touched in the head. I'm speaking with my mirror. My mirror is giving me a pep talk."

"Um ,er, excuse me. You wanted a pep talk? Why didn't you say so? I can be supportive you know. That requires a different setting. You caught me off guard and snuck up on me."
          "Hey, how ya doin'? Long time no see."
"Um, you saw me this morning. Did you forget?"
"Of course not. It's just talk. So, how ya doin'? Busy? Tired?"
"No, not particularly. Why? Do I look tired? What do you see?"
"Oh, ha, ha. Nothin.' It's a greeting really. Are you sure?"
"Come on, you're my mirror. Give it to me straight."
"What? You want me to gloss over the facts a little, or just lay it all out?"
"Is it that bad?"
"Mmmm, I dunno. You do have dark bags under your eyes. Did I say bags? Ah, ya... they're more like large suitcases. Aren't they heavy? You really haven't noticed them? Wow."
"I only glance at you and this is the first time you've spoken to me. Couldn't you describe them as smudges instead? Your observation is a tad harsh."
"Sniff. Don't blame me. The lighting in here is lacking. In fact, it's downright grim. Uh huh, nothing flattering in this room."
"So, the lack of bright light is to blame? All I need is a better light bulb?"
"Hold up. I didn't say that. I recognize under eye bags, oh sorry, smudges, when I see them. Oh, do you know about the wrinkles and the grey hair? Should I mention them? You seem sensitive."
"Ack! Why are you criticizing me? No, I don't recognize the face staring back at me."
"Well, trust me, it's you. You aint no spring chicken anymore. Wait. Where are you goin'? Don't you want to talk some more?"
"I don't know. Maybe I need a second opinion. Maybe I need a better moisturizer."
"You do that. I only speak the truth. I'm a mirror ya know. I reflect. That's all I do. Will I see ya later?" 693 words
© Copyright 2024 SandraLynn Team Florent! (nannamom at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2319158-Mirror-Reflections