*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2319626-Top-of-the-Pile
by Sumojo
Rated: E · Fiction · Community · #2319626
A philosophical story. Is one man worth more than the next?
Written for Philosophical Musings.
Round 10 prompt: Is one human being worth more than another?
Words 1243


Ava, closed her eyes for a few seconds, feeling the effects of the long hours at work.

“Are you unwell, Ava?”

“No, Cassian,” she shook her head and gave a reassuring smile to her young assistant. “The long hours are catching up with me. The whole team are ready for a break after these last few weeks.”

“It’s all going to be worth it.” Cassian’s tired eyes crinkled. “You did it!”

“Yes! But not just me. It’s been a long time coming, but we’ve perfected the vaccine, simply one shot given at birth. No more cancer Just imagine.”

“You can be certain now your name will be in the top eschalon when the rankings are announced this year.”

Ava frowned. “I despise being ranked, Cass, don’t you? I’ve never understood this system of worth. We as scientists are classed as being of more worth than others. Why?”

“I suppose it’s because we spend our lives trying to help mankind. We should be rewarded.”

Ava, shook her head. “Not everyone has the same opportunities or the education. I may be classed as brilliant in my field, but who’s to say I’m not inherently bad?”

“I don’t believe that has anything to do with our perceived value to society, Ava. At the end of the day, you have discovered the answer, the elusive cure. Surely that must make you of more value than a person who lives in poverty, out of work, unable to contribute anything worthwhile?”

Ava hung up her white lab coat and smiled fondly at her young assistant. “Come on, Cass,” her voice revealed her disdain for the system, “turn off the lights and let’s go home.” She saw the disappointment at her attitude on his face. “Okay, yes, we’ll accept the accolades and the rewards and convince ourselves we’re above everyone else”

~~


The young woman sat in front of her toddler’s highchair, “Come on, baby, just one more spoon.”

Emmett, clamped his mouth tightly shut and shook his head from side to side.

His mother sighed, “Daddy will be home soon.” With some money, I hope.

They both heard the front door bang shut. Emmett tried to escape from the confines of the highchair.

“Come on, little one. Let’s go and see what Daddy’s brought home.” Zara freed her son, lifting him down to the floor.

“Dadda.” The little boy ran into his father’s arms.

Liam swept his boy up into his arms and kissed his wife.

“How was it?” Zara’s face showed her concern.

“Not much business today.”

“Not even one person?”

“It’s the weather, love. No one wanted to stop in the rain and have their portrait sketched.”

“It’s ridiculous. An artist with your talent reduced to sketching portraits on the boardwalk.”

“Well, we know where artists sit in the scheme of things, don’t we?”

“Yeah, right along with stay-at-home mothers.”

“It’s the New World Order, sweetheart.” Liam jiggled Emmett on his knee. “Don’t worry. We’re fine. We won’t starve. I might sell one of my paintings soon.”

~~


Liam had found a place to sit close enough to the stage where he would be able to capture some images on his sketch pad, but not too close as to be warned off by the dozen or so security guards patrolling the crowd. His rapidly drawn characatures of famous people sometimes sold to the media and he was hoping today’s award ceremony would give him an opportunity to get a few famous people to sit for him.

It was the day of the year everyone in Australia gets to know their ranking. The top 100 selected by the all-powerful algorithm, would be made up of citizens who had contributed to the health and well being of society. Everyone from the highest to lowest were ranked and if one could actually be bothered, one could discover where they stood amongst the millions of people in the country.

The ceremony began. The people who were expected to be rated highly were seated on the first five or six rows. The Master of Ceremonies began the proceedings by presenting awards from the top fifty selected. The usual suspects, judges, doctors, and politicians were called out and received their medals. At last, it came down to the final five highest achievers. Amongst them was a man who’d saved hundreds of people from a train wreck. A scientist, who’d discovered a solution for reversing the effect of global warming on the Great Barrier Reef was in second place, and then… drum roll. “The number one person of importance in the year 2174 is Professor Ava Tamigi.”

Ava rose from her seat and stepped on to the stage to collect her award. She waited until the applause died down and began to speak. The audience had quietened and were waiting to hear her speech, when from seemingly out of nowhere a man, dressed in camouflage uniform, charged on to the stage, knife raised. He flew at Ava.
Liam was the first to see what was happening, from his position where he’d been sitting, sketching the awards, he’d seen the man begin to move with obvious intent to do harm. Without hesitation, Liam, grabbed the would-be assassin from behind and wrestled the knife from him, receiving a gash to his right hand in the process. Suddenly all hell let loose when the security guards took over.

~~


Several weeks passed, Liam had been unable to use his right hand to do his sketching and painting because of the injury he’d received on Award Day, and for the first time had needed to apply for assistance from the government, knowing to do so would surely lower his citizen’s value ranking in next year’s algorithmic calculation.


The attempt on Ava’s life made big news. The images of her attacker were displayed on every media outlet. The government suggested a referendum as to whether those of the populace who brought nothing but trouble should be exterminated.
Eventually the man was sentenced to banishment and sent to a special facility out in the desolate Simpson Desert for harsh retraining.

~~


Ava used her award and newly acquired fame as the number one Australian citizen to campaign against the system of ranking each person by their perceived worth. When she’d discovered how Liam and his family lived a hand to mouth existence purely because of his commitment to his art, it spurred her on. She began a campaign and spoke from her heart at every opportunity in an attempt to change the status quo.

“Artists, writers, poets, musicians, nurses, carers, and yes, even those who contribute little to nothing, are all human beings. Why have we as a society allowed a machine, an artificial intelligence, to decide who is worthy or not? Where would we be culturally if the population consisted purely of scientists and academics? Why are we allowing the majority of people to feel so bad about themselves when they are encouraged to see their rankings at the bottom of the heap?
It has to change. Liam, who saved my life has now achieved notoriety. His paintings are selling, and people are requesting to have their portraits painted or sketched. So, in next year’s rating he’ll no doubt have moved up into the top 1.000. Why? Simply because he’s become famous. It’s crazy! It needs to stop now. We are all worthy. Who can say one human being is truly worth more than another? Surely, isn’t every life inherently priceless?



















© Copyright 2024 Sumojo (sumojo at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2319626-Top-of-the-Pile