*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2319706-Legendary-Locket
by KS23
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2319706
The magic of ancient treasures.
Amateur archaeologists Artie and Vera Pendergast, both in their 50s, climbed to their secret mountain plateau to continue their search for ancient British artifacts. Under a bright, cloudless sky, Vera suddenly called out, “Hey, look at this.” A few minutes of further digging and she was holding a golden cube the size of a modern watch box. “Now how do I open this?”

As Artie approached, he noticed dark clouds erupting overhead.

“Honey, there’s a storm brewing. We don’t have time for this. Toss it in your backpack and let’s go.”

Unmoved, Vera shrugged and said, “I wish this box would open.” There was a click and the lid snapped open.

Immediately the skies unleashed torrents of rain.

“C’mon, Vera, we’ll drown up here, or get washed over the cliff.”

“Artie, look at this.” He knelt beside her, covering both with his jacket.

She lifted an exquisitely crafted gold locket bearing the initials "G" and "L" intertwined in an elaborate monogram.

Below, in black letters, were burned the lines:

         By magic's might, this locket’s tied,
         To love's deceit and those who lied.

Then Artie noticeed a small silver plaque. It read:

         Touch not this token, be thou wise,
         For with it sorrow never dies.

Vera cried out and dropped the locket. But Artie turned the plaque over and saw:

         Yet know, ye finder, hope’s faint gleam,
         To shatter curse with love's redeem.
         But not by might or force alone,
         The magic lies in hearts unknown.

As the storm raged, the sobbing couple held each other close.

“I will always love and protect you,” said Artie.

“I will love you and be faithful always,” Vera replied.

The locket, plaque and box disappeared in a puff of smoke, briefly forming the words True Love is Magic.

And the storm abated.
© Copyright 2024 KS23 (kellyspring23 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2319706-Legendary-Locket