*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/255397-Quest-for-Gold
Rated: E · Short Story · Action/Adventure · #255397
Vacation with a Purpose
{c}Quest for Gold

We took an impressionable vacation to a scenic wonderland. Our destination was the Skyline Lodge in Platoro, Colorado. Our intention was to find gold.
We spent hours driving deep into the San Juan National Forest. Finally, in this little-traveled region of high mountains and spectacular views, we found the village's tiny sign. It was planted beside a rocky road and squeezed between green forests of juniper. The rugged path led to a wooden bridge that crossed the foam-laced Conejos River. There opened to us a beautiful sight. Winding trails through spruce, aspen and fir forests led to snow-crowned mountains. The quaint lodge was in the center of this picturesque playground.
Anticipating fresh fish for dinner the children grabbed the fishing poles. The clear, clean water proved to tempting for the little ones to resist. Their lips turned blue and their teeth chattered as they splashed in the refreshing riverwater. Before long, two generous fishermen happened by and donated a string of rainbow trout. Food seems to taste better when cooked and eaten outdoors under a canopy of stars. We listened to the river's music. Reluctantly, we went inside to dream of gold mines.
Forsaking the mornings intention of looking for gold, we lingered under downy covers until nearly noon. Cold dawn has a way of keeping you locked inside by the warmth of a fire. After lunch, we packed our supplies for panning gold.
Dad seeks the cool comfort of this climate when the South's heat renders him miserably restless. He has spent many hours on the mountain trails. He knows the points of interest. Thus, he became our designated tour guide and historian. "We will use this shovel for scooping sand, gravel and water from the stream and place it in the pan," he explained as he counted out six pans. Tilting a pan, he showed how to allow the water and light materials to run off; leaving the gold, the heavier pieces in the pan. He continued, "It's as simple as that. Though washing or panning for gold is a crude and tiresome method of mining gold, many people have gained great wealth from it," We left for our adventure, thinking of the bright promises this country has to offer. A hired buckaroo went with us.
We passed wind-carved trees and miniature flowers. A deer leapt across our path, followed by another one. The children hollered with glee. None of us spent much time seriously looking for gold. We knew we had found our treasure, tucked away in these mountains.
© Copyright 2001 Mannequin (dixiedawling at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/255397-Quest-for-Gold