*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/406384-Pornography-in-the-US-Mail
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: GC · Non-fiction · Adult · #406384
what restrictions, if any, should be placed on the US Mail?
Thought Paper
SPC 4930
January 21, 2002

One of the great things about living in America is the freedom we are given to express ourselves in a variety of ways, as individuals or as a group. As long as we do not bring physical harm or mental anguish to other people, such expression is considered morally acceptable. However, contrasting opinions exist among Americans regarding what should be censored and what should not be. In this paper I will discuss the US Mail via distribution of unsolicited advertisements and pornographic material. I believe that there should be no legal restrictions placed on the distribution of unsolicited advertisements, but that pornographic material should be distributed only under strict legal guidelines.
There is no doubt about the fact that most Americans refer to unsolicited mail as ?junk mail?. We are annoyed by it, and often we toss it in the garbage without really looking at it or reading it. Although it is a nuisance, it is not particularly offending, nor does it tend to be discriminatory. Businesses have to make attempts to sell their products and services if they wish to be successful. What better way to do so than to send out advertisements to everyone in the area? Even if 100 people throw it away without giving it any regard, it could catch the eye of one or two people. It makes good business sense to advertise to as many people as possible, and the US Mail is a great way to get the message across.
Sure, I would love it if for once I received no ?junk mail?, I?m sure most people would. Usually it lands in the trash immediately after receipt. But let?s be honest ? have you ever glanced through it and realized you were holding a great coupon for the local pizza parlor, and set it aside for later use? Or received an unsolicited credit card offer at a time when you were strapped for cash, and sent the application back in? Every once in a while, everyone finds something useful amongst the ?junk mail? they receive on a daily basis.
Although it tends to be annoying, there is no reason that there should be legal restrictions placed on unsolicited advertisements send through the US Mail. If you don?t like it, throw it away. It is as simple as that. It does not tend to be offensive, nor does it tend to relate to subjects considered ?sensitive?.
Pornographic material, however, is a sensitive topic. I firmly believe that if you are a legal adult, and if pornography is legal in your state of residence, you should be permitted to indulge yourself in pornography if you so desire. However, distribution of it through the US Mail needs to adhere to legal restrictions to ensure that the rights of others are not violated and that no one is exposed to it if they do not want to be.
Playboy, Playgirl, Hustler, Sex Toy Catalogues, and so on are considered pornographic, and all are distributed through the US Mail. They are not unsolicited; you request them and pay to have them sent to your home. However, in order to reach you, it goes through the hands of many postal workers, some of whom could be bothered by such material. It is also possible you could share a mailbox with a child, or with a roommate who is offended by pornography.
I think that pornographic material should be distributed with caution. If it is a magazine or some other form or paper, it should not only be plain-covered on the front and back, but also wrapped in plastic. The plastic ensures a child cannot easily open it, and the plain covers prevent people from seeing any pictures that they might not wish to be exposed to.
If the item is more bulky, like a sex toy, it should be shipped in the same discreet manner. It should be in a plain box, with no labels on the outside that explicitly imply it is sexual material. If the name of the company is overtly sexual, it should not be printed on the outside of the box. This is not only to protect the rights of the many hands it must go through to reach the customer, but also to protect the rights of the customer. Imagine the discomfort of a customer who opens his mailbox, eagerly anticipating the arrival of his new ?toy?, and seeing a box which says ?Luscious Wanda ? Now she can be inflated in half the time? in bright red letters on the outside. Although the customer ordered this product of his own free will, he is entitled to a certain amount of discretion and privacy.
In conclusion, there are some restrictions that should be placed on the US Mail. Unsolicited advertisements should not be limited with legal restrictions, as they do not bring harm to anyone other than the typical uttering of ?what a waste of trees? as they are tossed in to the trash. Pornographic material, on the other hand, is sensitive in nature and the rights of postal workers and every member of the household should be considered. It should be shipped in a discrete and plain-covered manner.

© Copyright 2002 Pretty Hate Machine (starr at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/406384-Pornography-in-the-US-Mail