*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/421739-Chapter-12--Hunted
Rated: ASR · Fiction · Fantasy · #421739
Lin, Torin, and Neira make good their escape.
Back to: "Chapter 11: Watcher in the Woods


Hunted

Drugan was mad. Forget about angry; he was mad. His eyes still stung from the witch-woman's spell and every now and then he would look up to wipe them with the back of his hand.

"I don't see anything," whined Avlunt, "and I'm hungry. Can't we go back now?"

"Go back then!" Drugan growled. "But the captain will know why when I bring back the prisoners."

The soldier's face blanched and he muttered quietly, but he continued to follow the forester. Drugan scowled, but his eyes stayed glued to the slight trail he followed. The witch-woman had left no sign of her passing and this infuriated him. But, if the gods smiled on him, the trail that he followed would lead him to her. He paused by a small imprint, kneeling to have a better look.

"What is it?" Avlunt asked excitedly, fingering his sword.

Drugan ignored him, touching the print lightly. This was no touch of the elven boy's bare feet. "I knew it," he muttered to himself.

"Knew what?"

Drugan stood, increasing his pace to a trot. The trail that he followed suddenly became clearer, as if the one he followed tired. Or, he reasoned, the person knew he was being followed. In any case, he was catching up. Soon he would have them.

Lin heard the forester behind her and smiled. A few more feet and she would reach the ravine and then . . . no more would the soldiers be able to track her or the other two, safely traveling some miles northwest. She ran lightly over the log lying across the ravine, ducking into the brambles on the other side. Setting her hand to the soil, she concentrated, willing the ground to give way, toppling the mossy log to the bottom.

The boom of the log on the rocks below had barely died away when the two soldiers reached the side of the ravine. Lin could hear the bearded one curse. Then he began to hunt for a way across. Lin frowned. Was there no stopping this man?

"Surely they're at the bottom," Avlunt complained.

"They're not dead until I've seen their bodies!" Drugan snarled. "Now look for a way across!"

Quickly and quietly, Lin loaded her crossbow. She placed another bolt at the ready before her. Lady, steady my hands and guide mine eyes, she prayed softly. She leveled the crossbow at the bearded soldier.

As if sensing her intent, the soldier stepped behind a tree. She could see his movement, but had no clear angle to shoot.

"Drugan!"

The forester looked up. Another of the company emerged into the small clearing where he stood.

"What is it?" Drugan snapped, pausing in his search.

"The captain has ordered our return."

"At last!" Avlunt breathed.

The other two ignored him. "What for?" Drugan demanded.

"The search has gone on too long. He doesn't think we'll find them."

"We did find them," Avlunt interrupted. "They've fallen into the gorge there."

"Well, then, the matter's finished."

"Sir, I do not think th--"

"We don't pay you to think," the soldier said coldly. "You will return with me to camp."

Drugan swallowed his anger. What did it matter to him what became of these renegades? No doubt the captain only wished to save his own hide. He scowled fiercely, but followed the other two silently.

Lin breathed a sigh of relief as the three men vanished into the woods. She eased back the trigger, stowing the crossbow and bolts before pulling herself to her feet. Once more leaving no tracks, she set off to join up with her companions.


{c}"Chapter 13: Question for Debate
© Copyright 2002 KC under the midnight sun (goonie at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/421739-Chapter-12--Hunted