*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/425921-City-Hall-part-1
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Sci-fi · #425921
First part of a story in the future.
"Come on," she said desperately to her front door. "I'm not gonna make it!" Meanwhile she heard the voice inside counting down the seconds.
"Thirteen, twelve, eleven..."

Just when she thought she never would get in on time, the door opened smoothly like nothing was wrong. She ran as fast as she could to the living room while the countdown still continued.

"Five, four, three..." She placed her plastic card on a device and her hand on the screen next to it in the last second.

"Welcome, Morgan," the electronic voice said.
Ow, that was a really close one. She relaxed a bit now she was in. More than once in the week she logged in in the last fifteen seconds, but she had never been so late as today. Only one second away of almost the worst nightmare you could get.

Morgan really hated the five-thirty obligation. Every day at that time she had to log in or she would get arrested and fulfil government tasks and that was terrible. A lot of people who got that tasks were never normal again. They went so crazy that they mostly killed themselves. She shivered by the thoughts of it.

After ten seconds of screening, she could get her hand of the screen. Relieved she closed her eyes and sat back in her chair. But before she really could enjoy her moment of rest, the big screen in front of her went on.

"Hi Morgan." The head of a friendly grey old man appeared on it.
"Hi Samuel."
"You were late again, weren't you?" he said strict.
"Yeah.. I was late."
"Stop playing with your life, Morgan. Just be on time. That couldn't be so difficult."
"I know," Morgan answered. She liked Samuel very much, but not when he talked like this. But that was his job as her mentor.

"I've got a new assignment for you."
Morgan lifted herself up from her chair. "You do?" It was a long time ago since her last assignment. She ruined it, so Samuel's boss didn't want her in the field anymore.

"He thinks you're ready for it," Samuel said.
"So, tell me what it is," she said impatiently.
"You have to steal the papers for the energy supply from the city hall's safe." He told this with a serious face, but Morgan started to laugh loudly.

"Me, he wants me to steal something from city hall?" She didn't believe it. City hall was the best secured building in the whole city.

"He didn't want it, but I did. He wanted the best person I had, and that's you. I know you can do it, Morgan. You get the best men and the best equipment there is. Oh, and Tom McIntyre is going to help you..."

"The Tom McIntyre?" Morgan almost fainted. Not him!
"I need you here at seven thirty. Be there," he commanded. "On time, please."
© Copyright 2002 Miss Perone (jessieperone at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/425921-City-Hall-part-1