*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/476501-A-Place-Of-Peace
Rated: E · Article · Personal · #476501
I made the journey to Makkah and here you can read my experience.
We landed in Saudi Arabia late in the evening. Outside darkness had fallen. Yet the air was hot and humid. The summer in Saudi was unrelenting. I mustered up all my energy to stand up straight as my heavy luggage was taken off my hands. It was loaded into the awaiting car that was to take us from the airport in Jeddah, to the Kabah in the city of Makkah.

I was wide-awake on the night journey towards Makkah. This was surprising, considering I had hardly slept in the last twenty-four hours. But now in the comfort of the cool air-conditioned car, I sat excitedly anticipating the night ahead. We drove in darkness towards the city. When we arrived we checked in at our hotel and grabbed a bite to eat. I was like a girl who wanted to see the ocean, and was eager to set my eyes on the Kabah. I had not far to walk, for it was situated just across the road from our hotel. The surrounding mosque was built from smooth marble. It had a shiny, glassy look to it, glistening by the artificial lights and cool on my bare feet. We entered the Kabah from one of the gigantic doors. Each of these doors had a name, rich in historical significance. It was helpful for the visitor, who was otherwise sure to get lost trying to find there way out of this symmetrical building.

Inside, I was faced with a sight to behold. I took a deep breath. I couldn’t believe I was back here. Excitement rippled through me. The mosque was full of life, with people leaving and entering, even at this unusual hour. It was now in the early hours of the new day. To either side of where I stood, there was row upon row of richly coloured rugs. People were sitting and standing in prayer. It was a quieter place at this time of day, and some had taken an opportunity to take a nap away from the bustle at the center of the mosque.

I moved further into the mosque and I set my sights on something so beautiful only the heart could describe it with accuracy. Down a few short steps at the center of the mosque, with it’s roof open, was the Kabah. A black shrouded cube of a building. Simple in design, awesome in effect. The white sparkling marble was set against the rich black cloth of the Kabah. Tears streamed down my face as I joined the hundreds of Muslims encircling the building. They were deep in prayer, reciting from the Koran, worshiping Allah. We moved at a steady pace around the building as we began to perform the rights of Umrah (short pilgrimage). Up close, I walked and stared at this building in its enormity. When I was close enough I reached out a hand to touch the the cloth covering it. It felt like soft velvet, and smelt of a perfume so sweet. I drank in that smell. It was comforting, soothy and reassuring. Tears trickled down my face. I prayed as calmness enveloped me.

As the surrounding neighbourhood slept we prayed for a few hours at the Kabah and in the bordering mosque. The mosque was a hub of activity. After the pre-dawn prayers, with its commotion, as the mosque filled up with even more worshipers, I sat on the steps leading down towards the Kabah and took in my surroundings. From my position I watched the sunrise. The Kabah was illuminated by the natural light of the day. The temperature was warming up. The birds were flying overhead, against a backdrop of rocky mountains.

As I stepped outside the mosque I passed the abandoned taxis left in the middle of the road, as it’s occupants rushed to join the pre-dawn prayers. I left behind me hundreds of people who had just recently stepped off a plane and were now joining those who were encircling the Kabah. I crossed the street as the rush hour came to life at six in the morning, in this city in Arabia. I went to my hotel room and as I lay down to sleep I had a warm and fuzzy feeling all over. Sleepy and content, I felt like I had just come home.
© Copyright 2002 Dreams - Anon, who are you? (fudgie30 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/476501-A-Place-Of-Peace