*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/539224-The-Butler-and--The-Maid
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Fantasy · #539224
The butler and the maid didnt' do it.
Having been with the Raleigh Stern family for years the butler, Joshua Armstrong and the maid, Hilda Jacobs were loyal to the Stern family. Some guests had arrived for a weekend with the Stern's Raleigh, and Carlotta at the bed and breakfast called the Wolfendale's. While there these two paticular guests Negro and Veronica Cortez were up to no good. They had a way with locks and safes to remove the contents of another guests undetectable. They found one afternoon a room easy to get in. They found among the valuables a gold expensive watch, a brooch, and some cash laying around, carelessly. Joshua and Hilda had been on the same floor where Negro and Vernoica were leaving the room that wasn't theirs. Having pistols upon their person, Negro got Joshua and Veronica had got Hilda. Disposing of their bodies in the newly found cellar, Negro and Veronica made off with their ill gotten gains or did they?

A travel bag was used to carry the stuff in they took off in the car ready to go somewhere else. Negro felt the inside of the travel bag where he knew he had the watch and brooch. Inside the bag on a side pocket, Veronica had felt for the money and found nothing. To their discovery it was empty of all the things they took. Returning back to the Wolfendail's, they found the same room still ajar. They found their chance at having their fingerprints removed this time for they didn't wear gloves the first time. So, wearing their gloves they wiped all the things they had touched and found the contents they had thought they had put in the travel bag where they found it.
So their greediness working overtime, found them making sure it was place in the travel bag this time for good. Having now checked out they were headed from their crime scene. The desire to see the loot this time knowing it was in the travel bag were dismayed again. A paperweight and cut up newspapers was used by Joshua and Hilda to replaced the loot. Being frightened at what had happened they, Negro and Veronica went on their way. Laughing sounds could be heard from the room but the guests hadn't returned from their day out.

What happened to Negro and Veronica? They had been picked up by the police for a prior charge of having done the same thing at another bed and breakfast. The police had received a phone call anonymously from someone at the Wolfendail's. It was Joshua that made the call. So, you see, the butler didn't do it in this story.
© Copyright 2002 Silverindian (silverindian at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/539224-The-Butler-and--The-Maid