*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/539217-Bill-The-Ghost-Coyote
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Animal · #539217
A coyote that wouldn't stay dead.
Bill, the ghost coyote, didn't start out being a ghost. The story goes like this: Bob MacNamara was a sheepherder. He didn't have the monies for a sheepdog. So, as he looked for another way to get the sheep to market spotted the coyote on the hill overlooking his camp. He, Bob, was hungry so he thought of inviting the coyote to a meal, as well. Bill, the coyote, was almost human like in understanding what Bob was saying to him. He came alongside of Bob and laid down next to one of the wagon wheels looking at the meal being prepared. Having the meal that was promised, he was listening as Bob was talking while preparing the meal. He said: "I am going to need you to herd the sheep and help me to get them to market."

The next day the sheriff came out there to give a message to Bob. While he was there he saw Bill, the coyote, and thinking that the coyote was out to kill one of the sheep fired and killing Bill. Well, that didn't set well with Bob at all. He told the sheriff: "Well, you killed my helper there, Sheriff." "Now you or your men are going to have to help me to get these sheep to market."
Having done the shooting the sheriff also appeared the next day to help. While he was there he noticed the coyote was there too. Next to the wheel where he had been the day before. Well, the sheriff had noticed it was Bill, the coyote he shot and said so. With abandon, Bill, the coyote did the herding of the sheep. When the sheep had been herded and taken to market, the two had returned to camp. Then, as if by nature's own calling Bill, the coyote went to the place where he had been buried and from there he disappeared in the ground never to be seen again.
© Copyright 2002 Silverindian (silverindian at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/539217-Bill-The-Ghost-Coyote