*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/559081-Ramadan-2011
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
(114)
Rated: 13+ · Article · Religious · #559081
Aproximately one-fifth of the world's population will be choosing to go without...
The month of Ramadan will start in August 2011, God-willing.

What is Ramadan?

Ramadan is the ninth month in the Islamic calendar (this is the lunar calendar). All Muslims are commanded to fast during this month.

‘O you who believe! Fasting is prescribed for you as it was prescribed for those before you, that you may learn self-restraint.’ (Chapter 2. Verse 183)


When does Ramadan begin?

Muslims are required to fast from dawn to dusk during the days of Ramadan. As Ramadan is a lunar month the number of days in the month will change slightly from year to year. Also the beginning of the month will be about eleven days earlier each year. For this reason Muslims are not sure when the month of Ramadan begins (it can fall on one of two days). Muslims start to fast when they have sighted the new moon indicating the beginning of Ramadan. At the beginning of each fast Muslims are encouraged to have the Suhoor meal. This is like an early breakfast that is eaten before dawn. In Allah’s mercy He advises us to eat something before we begin fasting and the following reminds us of the benefit of this:

Anas related that the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) said: Take the Suhoor meal, for there is blessing in it *(Bukhari)


What does fasting involve?

Muslims are required to give up food, drink and sexual intercourse with their spouses from dawn to dusk during the month of Ramadan. In this month Muslims are encouraged to do more good deeds and stay away from anything bad or forbidden. Muslims are reminded that whilst also abstaining from food and drink they should also keep their behaviour in check. This means refraining from lying, backbiting and the like.

Abu Huraira related that the Prophet said: if a person does not avoid false talk and false conduct during the fast, then Allah does not care if he abstains from food and drink *(Bukhari)


When do you break the fast?

The fast should be broken at dusk unless there is some danger to physical life in which it can be broken earlier. Muslims have been encouraged to break the fast on time and not to delay in eating and drinking again. Ramadan is a time of giving and sharing, and this is especially true at the time of breaking the fast.

He who gives food for a fasting person to break his fast, he will receive the same reward as him, except that nothing will be reduced from the fasting persons reward. *(Ahmad)


Who is exempted from fasting?

‘(Fasting) for a fixed number of days, but if any of you is ill or on a journey, the same number (should be made up) from other days. And as for those who can fast with difficulty, they have (a choice either to fast or) to feed a poor person (for every day). But whoever does good of his own accord, it is better for him. And that you fast, it is better for you only if you know.’ (Chapter 2. Verse 184)


By Allah’s (God) mercy He has decided that not everyone is required to fast during this month. Fasting is not a punishment and Allah knows the burden fasting would place on a body that is already weak from illnesses. Those that are ill, pregnant, on a journey etc. can choose whether they wish to fast during the month or for example when they have recovered from their illness. However, these fasts have to be completed. Women who are menstruating or experiencing post-natal bleeding should not fast. They are also required to fast the days they have missed after Ramadan is over.

Why is Ramadan so special?

‘The month of Ramadan in which was revealed the Quran, a guidance for mankind and clear proofs for the guidance and the criterion (between right and wrong)…’ (Chapter 2. Verse 185).


This month is so special because it was in this month that the Quran was revealed to mankind. It was on the ‘Night of Power’ (Lailatul Qadr) that the Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him) first started to receive verses of the Quran from God, through the angel Gabriel. In this month Muslims are encouraged to read more of the Quran and pray more. The reward for these acts of worship is greater in this month.

What happens at the end of the month?

Eid is the celebration that takes place on the first day of the next month (Shawwal). It is a time of celebration and relaxation. Special prayers are said and people celebrate in their own way. Muslims give gifts to each other and cook special meals.


***



*Those items with a star are called hadiths (they are sayings of the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him). Muslims follow the Quran and the Sunnah (The example of the Prophets life for guidance).

References: Are taken from the Quran and Hadith and more information can be found at Ramadan.co.uk and Soundvision.com. The statistic regarding the number that are fasting is taken from guardian.co.uk.



© Copyright 2002 Dreams - Anon, who are you? (fudgie30 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/559081-Ramadan-2011