*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/613694-Beauty---Part-1
Rated: ASR · Novella · Romance/Love · #613694
Beauty and the Beast with a twist.
~ Chapter 1 ~

A light breeze picked up and rushed by a young woman who sat by a stream near her horse. The girl was fairly unremarkable, save her curly, auburn hair. She had large brown eyes that showed wisdom and trust, but also hardship for one so young. A few freckles dotted a nose that she thought was too long. Her chin had a stubborn tilt to it that friends called endearing. She was on the short side, but her straight, rider’s posture helped her appear taller than she really was. Her name was Jenna Prescott, and she was oblivious to everything but the wonder of a beautiful day.

Jenna stared at the river rushing by her. The cool, delicious water licked at her bare feet and a light breeze ruffled her hair. It was the first day of spring and she wished the beautiful day could last forever. Daisy, her playful Arabian mare, nickered nearby as she lapped up the almost-sweet water. As much as she loved her special spot, though, she knew it was time to head home. There was work still to do at the house, and Mara wouldn’t be happy about doing it alone.

Jenna sighed. Her sister complained about a lot of things. She hadn’t always been like that, but since their mother’s death three years before she had been hard to live with.

“What am I going to do with that girl, Daisy?” she asked of her horse and confidant. “I love her, but sometimes she upsets me so much! If only I could make her see that this life isn’t that bad!”

Jenna’s thoughts then strayed to her father. He had been a prominent businessman before Mother’s death, but afterward did not have the will to go on. His company had collapsed, and they were forced to sell their stunning ancestral home. Daisy was the only thing Jenna had been allowed to keep. The unhappy family had moved to the country, then, to flee from the deriding attitudes of their former friends.

Life had improved then. The country air was good for Harry Prescott’s health and attitude, and he began with a new lease on life. He had found a niche in working with wood and soon became a prominent furniture maker in the little village nearby. Jenna had enjoyed the change as well. She had always felt stifled in their affluent urban lifestyle, filled with mindless social events and shallow friendships. Her one friend had come in the form of Daisy.

Daisy had been the last gift her mother had given her before her untimely demise. The horse was the only link Jenna still had with her mother. At first, her sister Mara had leaned on Jenna, and they had formed a closer relationship than ever before, but soon Mara detached from her and everyone else. Mara had been Mother’s favorite, but Jenna had never felt the green-eyed monster of jealousy. She had always been a daddy’s girl. That was the reason for Mara’s self-alienation. Not only had Mara leaned on her big sister, but her father had needed Jenna as well. When Mara had seen this, she turned away from her family and wallowed in self-pity. Jenna had tried to reach her, but all of her efforts were in vain. The move had made things worse. Mara had been at her prime back in the city. She had just made her début the year before Mother’s death and had enjoyed the attention she attracted.

One thing had made Mara’s life better and that was Rich. Richard Hamilton was the new stable owner in the village. He had come calling on the Prescott’s one fine evening after he had moved into town. Rich saw what few others besides Jenna and her father saw, Mara’s gentle, loving side. Even though Mara had always been a bit shallow, she had been blessed with a kind heart. Mara and their mother had enjoyed helping out the less fortunate of the city. The joy on her face after a day at the shelter was one Jenna had not seen since the move. A bit of the joy shone through, though, when Rich came.

One evening after Rich’s arrival, the family had been listening to their guest discuss his life while living in the city, and one of the topics was his joy in helping the less fortunate. Jenna looked over at her little sister in time to see a light shine in her eyes that had been missing for so long. Rich and Mara had talked long into the evening and from there things had taken off. Mara had become easier to live with for the most part, and Rich called on her often. Jenna was glad that her sister was happy again. She had begun to feel guilty for the fact that she loved their new life while her sister was so miserable.

Jenna snapped back from her musings. Mara had been easier to get along with, but she still hated doing housework. Not that Jenna blamed her. Housework was not at the top of her list of favorite things to do either. She mounted Daisy and headed towards their home. Papa was due in tonight after some business he had been called to attend to.

When the company had collapsed, they had had some notes still to repay. All had been paid off by the selling of the house except for one. Papa called the man a benevolent benefactor to be so kind as to wait for the family to come up with the means to repay him, but Mara and Jenna had disagreed. They were just starting their new life but Papa had to hand over his hard earned money to a greedy stranger. Jenna pondered that fact. Was she really angry with the unknown man? She had never met him and to form such a quick judgment was rude and selfish. He had been kind enough not to take the last of their money after their things had been sold. He had let them keep it to start their new life. And he had not taken Daisy. For that Jenna was grateful.

Daisy began to canter as the cottage came in view. It was small, much smaller than their home in the city, but Jenna loved it. There was a beautiful flower garden out back that the Prescott sisters had worked on for many hours. Watching things grow was one hobby the girls both enjoyed. Mara came out of the house just as Jenna pulled onto the lawn.

“Where have you been, Jenna? I’ve been working for an hour already! You promised you’d be back by 9:30.” Jenna winced as she dismounted and Mara continued with her ranting. “Rich is coming for lunch and the house is still a mess! And you promised to help me weed the garden today, too.” Mara put her hands on her hips and set her pretty face in a pout. Jenna felt terrible. Her sister had been looking forward to lunch for a long time. Rich had been gone for two weeks, as he was seeing family back in the city. She gave Mara a contrite smile and tugged on Daisy’s reins to lead her to the small lean-to out back.

“I’m sorry, sis. It’s just that the weather was so beautiful today, and I had trouble leaving the quiet forest.” She had an idea, then, and voiced it to her sister. “But don’t worry. I’ll handle the garden myself so that you can spend the afternoon with Rich. I know you’ve missed his company.” A smile spread from Mara’s mouth to her eyes, and she looked at her sister with gratitude. “Really, you’d do that for me?”

Jenna laughed. “Of course! What are sisters for if not to help out when a beau is back in town.” She winked at her sister’s light blush and headed for the lean-to.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Later that evening, Mara sat by the fire sewing a new dress, while Jenna lounged in a nearby chair reading. Jenna loved spring because that meant the sun stayed out later, and she had more light to read by in the evenings. The sisters were waiting impatiently for their father’s return and news on their financial status. Jenna feared for her father’s health. Even though he had improved, his heart was still weak and she wasn’t sure how much stress he could take. Another financial setback would send him to bed for sure. Jenna voiced her worries to her sister, but Mara didn’t seem too worried.

“He’s strong like you Jenna. He’ll be fine,” she stated with a bit of envy in her voice. Mara was jealous? Jenna had trouble believing that. Mara had always been the beautiful sister, the one in the spotlight. She was full of grace and kindness, while Jenna—apart from her red hair--was just plain ordinary. She read too much and didn’t care for her physical appearance. She had few friends and preferred the forest creatures and Daisy to people any day. She hated social events while Mara had thrived on them. Until Mother’s death, Mara had been loved by all. Now that Rich was in her life, Mara seemed to be headed back to her former self. Jenna feared of being pushed into the background yet again. She was twenty-one years old and had never had a beau. Was she doomed to live her life out in the little cottage with her father and watch life pass her by, while her lovely, younger sister enjoyed family and friends?

Upset now, Jenna dropped her book to the floor, not caring where it landed, and stalked out the door. Confused, Mara watched her go, asking “What did I say?” as Jenna slammed the door. Where was Papa? He had promised to be back before sundown, and dusk was swiftly approaching. Just then, Jenna saw his shadowy figure riding toward them, looking tired and dejected. She opened the door long enough to inform her sister of their father’s arrival before running towards Papa.

She smiled up at him as he halted beside her. “I was beginning to worry about you, Papa. Did you have a safe trip?” He didn’t answer, didn’t even smile really, and Jenna felt that something was wrong. “What’s wrong Papa? That beast isn’t taking everything away from us now is he? Not when we’re just getting back on our feet and enjoying life! I won’t let him do it, I won’t! He won’t get away with harming my family!” Before her raving continued, her father took her hand.

“Jenna dear, calm down.” He sighed and looked as if the weight of the world was on his shoulders as he hugged his daughters close. “Let’s go inside and talk.” He trudged toward the open door and the girls followed in his wake, carrying his saddlebags and leaving his horse out in the yard. The horse could wait, their father was more important.

“Papa,” began Mara, “what’s wrong? What happened at your meeting? Are you going to be okay?” Jenna, who had calmed down a bit, suggested that their father might first like some supper. Mara, relieved to have something to occupy her, hurried toward the kitchen area. Soon she returned with some bread, ham, cheese and a glass of water. “Here you go, Papa. A little sustenance after your long ride.” She gave him a small smile.

Jenna hoped everything was ok, but their father’s mood was not indicative of that. After he had eaten, in complete silence, he began his story.


"My trip started pleasantly. The sun was shining and it promised to be a good day for traveling. My only trouble came when I had to leave the trail to find the house. Will Bennett, the businessman I was to meet, had given me directions in his letter and they were very clear up until that point. But before I knew it, I had found his house. A very beautiful house, at that. A mansion, really, in the middle of a forest dell. I found the surroundings very tranquil. Will himself greeted me at the door. He is a very personable man if you can get past. . .well never mind that. He had a wonderful brunch waiting, as I had not eaten much and it was almost lunchtime. After brunch, we headed out to his garden. He insisted on discussing business outside, since it was such a beautiful day. I was not one to disagree with him. Our discussion thus far had made me feel like we could work out a deal on my financial state.

I told him that I did not yet have all of the money I had borrowed from him, but that I could start making payments right away. I would have also offered him some furniture, but his furnishings were at a much higher caliber than that which I could do. I felt confident, though, that he would agree to my plan. That was not to be however. He grew agitated and said that he had waited three years already. We had made an agreement at the time of the company’s fall, so I really didn’t blame his consternation. He had kept his end of the bargain, but I had not. He said he felt that I was taking advantage of his good will. An argument ensued, one which I lost. As I was ready to leave though, something in him changed. He said he would accept my payments. I have two years to come up with the rest of the money.

Here Jenna finally cut in. She had sat through the entire story in silence even though she didn’t want to. But she had given her father the respect due to him in his story telling and now it was her turn.

“I can’t believe that your going to let that, that, that. . .brute dictate your life Papa! That fiend is taking away the best years of your life just to satisfy his selfish desire for more money! It’s not like he needs it or anything!” Her thoughts earlier in the day that Mr. Bennett might not be so bad had flown out her mind with her father’s story. She would not stand by and watch her father being taken advantage of. She knew that another life change would do her father in. Then an idea came to her. She looked at her father thoughtfully.
“Papa. . .what if one of us were to go work for him, instead. Then we wouldn’t have to worry about you working too hard to make the payments.” Jenna paused and took a deep breath. She was willing to sacrifice her future for her father’s livelihood. “I’ll go live with that. . .” she grimaced, “man.”

“No Jenna! I knew you would try to do this. You’re always trying to be the heroic one.” Harry shook his head and sighed as he looked lovingly at his oldest daughter. “Jenna, I love you and I won’t watch you sacrifice your future for me. I’m old now. I won’t be sacrificing anything. I can handle it. A little extra work is not going to kill me. Will is a good man, too. I’m sure that if I’m still not paid up in two years, we can come to some agreement. He’s a fair businessman.”

“Good,” Jenna interjected, “ then I won’t mind working for him. Look Papa. I know you’re trying to do what you think is right for me, but what if this is what I’m meant to do with my life? I’m not beautiful, sociable, or generous like Mara. I’ll never find a husband to marry. I’ll never have children or live a long, fulfilled life anywhere but here.” Tears began to sting her eyes, but Jenna held them back. She had been holding back tears for three years now, a few more days wouldn’t hurt.

“Papa, I’m going to do this and you can’t stop me. You’ve always expected us to make our own decisions about our future, and this is my decision. I will go and work for Mr. Bennett, and I will make it my future. This is my future!” Jenna swallowed the lump in her throat and ran to her room. She knew that if she stayed in the room much longer she would change her mind. This was one of the hardest and quickest decisions she’d made in her life, but one that needed to be done. She couldn’t let her father lose his health if she could somehow save it.

She also knew that her father would never let her go. He would try his hardest to protect her, just as he always had. So she would just have to find a way around it. After a few minutes of thought, Jenna realized there was only one thing she could do. She sat down and pulled out a piece of stationary left over from her days in the city. She’d had no need of it since the move, but that was about to change.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Late that same night, Jenna crept through the house carrying her shoes and two letters in one hand and her saddlebags in the other. She stopped briefly to drop off the letters to her father and sister and then again to check her father’s saddlebags, still lying unforgotten in the corner of the room, for the directions to Mr. Bennett’s house. They were found in short order, and Jenna crept out the door, all while holding back the tears still forming in her eyes. It would be over a day’s journey to the Bennett mansion, and she wouldn’t be able to travel long by night. She wasn’t looking forward to the trip.

She walked towards the lean-to with a heavy heart. Daisy nickered as she opened the door. “Sorry girl, no treats tonight,” Jenna apologized as she saddled the horse. “Get ready. We’re going on an adventure Daisy. I hope you’ll like it.” She laughed, albeit a bit sadly. “I hope I like it.” She led the way outside and mounted her horse. This was it. This was her last chance to turn back. Jenna looked at the cottage she had come to love for the last time. She didn’t know when she would be back, if ever. Willing herself to turn away, she gripped the reins and clucked a start to Daisy. This is what I’m meant to do, she reminded herself.

She thought back to the letters she’d written to her father and sister. She hoped they understood why she was doing this. She also hoped they wouldn’t hate her for her choice. What she really hoped was that she was doing the right thing. She nudged Daisy into a canter as she crossed the field next to the forest. Time slowed down and yet passed all too quickly, and before long she entered the edge of the woods. She never even turned around as the trees closed in behind her. She lit the lantern she had brought to read the directions to the Bennett mansion, and then she was on her way.

After only a few hours she led Daisy to the side of the trail and extinguished the lantern. It would be of no use if she got lost trying to find her way in the dark. As she lay against the tree, she thought of the letter she had finally composed to her father only a few hours before.

Dearest Papa,
I know that you will be unhappy that I disobeyed your wishes and went to work for Mr. Bennett, but I believe it to be for the best. We both know your health would have never survived the rigors of the extra work you would have been forced to take on. I also know that you will try to come after me. I beg you not to, Papa. Please believe that I will be fine. I hope that by leaving in this way you will see that I am serious about this. You won’t be able to bring me home. And I think that once Mr. Bennett sees that I have taken the, he won’t let me go. He is lonely and maybe I can, in some small way, help him even though my feelings towards him aren’t the best at this time. I love you so much, Papa, and I will think of you often. Maybe Mr. Bennett will be so kind as to let me come see you from time to time. If not, know that I will hold you in my heart all of the days of my life. Take care of Mara for me. She tries so hard to please you.

Your loving daughter,
Jenna

Maybe, just maybe this letter would help her father recognize her need to do this. He was the one who had always understood her. Harry had never cared that his eldest daughter was tomboyish or that she loved books and horses more than people. He had once confided in her that he was the same way. That characteristic had endeared them together so many years ago. She would sit for hours listening to her father conduct business in his offices, longing for the day when she could do the same. She didn’t care that women weren’t meant for the office. She would be different, an entrepreneur. And now that day would never come. She would spend the rest of her days separated from everything she had ever known, everything that was dear to her. She hated William Bennett for what he had done to her family. She hated the fact that she was the strong and stubborn one. She mostly hated the fact that she wanted to run crying to her father and never leave the wonderful cottage ever again.

Jenna scrubbed her eyes and sighed. It wouldn’t do for her to be puffy-lidded and red-eyed while trying to find her way to Mr. Bennett’s house. She adjusted the saddlebag she was using as a pillow and tried to find sleep. Finally, after a fitful hour of tossing and turning, worrying and wondering, Jenna slept.


~ Chapter 2 ~

Will paced his office erratically the very same hour Jenna was deliberating sleep in the woods. He didn’t have the difficult choices to make, or the hard ground to rest on, but he too couldn’t sleep. His unrest, though, stemmed from the meeting he had had several days past with Harry Prescott. Life’s lessons had left Will bitter, but not so bitter as to be unfeeling to a poor old man who was just trying to make it in an existence cruelly dealt to him. He didn’t deserve it, unlike Will, who was just getting his due.

Harry had made some bad business choices, this Will would admit, but he had been faithful and honest in those business dealings and that was something Will admired greatly in a person. He had let his temper flair nonetheless, and was now paying for it. He was making life very hard for a man and his family, just because he had been in a bad mood. He had no need for Harry’s money, then or ever. Will couldn’t do it. Harry had to provide for two daughters, the extra work would not be good for his health.

Will thought back to what Harry had told him of his daughters. Will could tell that both were loved greatly by their father. He talked of them incessantly during their meeting and even mentioned them in the letters he wrote. They would both be around 20 years old now, ready to start families soon. Mara was the younger daughter, the real beauty of the family. Kind and generous, Mara loved people. It was Jenna, though, who had him intrigued. She was definitely Harry’s favorite, though he tried hard not to let it show. But how could Jenna not captivate Will’s attention? She was different from most girls: intelligent, curious, a lover of nature rather than people, and she had a penchant for business. Harry had bombarded Will with stories of Jenna’s adventures at the office. From what Harry said, the girl really knew what she was doing and she loved it.

The way Harry’s eyes would light up when talking about his daughters made Will want someone to love and care about, but he had no one. His mother, though she had not died, was rarely in Will’s life. She was a cold, unfeeling social butterfly who had married Will’s father for his money. Jack Bennett, Will’s father, had died on Will’s sixteenth birthday. He remembered it as if it were only yesterday. . .


Will and Jack had just returned from an afternoon ride before tea. They had arrived to a scene of chaos. Somehow, one of the lanterns in the stable had been overturned and a fire had started. Both men raced to help the stable hands unlock the horse stalls and free the horses. They were almost done, only one horse had yet to be freed. Will ran over to the stall, choking on the smoke as he went. The horse was Barq, their fastest horse, an Arabian that spooked easily. Will had to enter the stall to coax Barq from the small box before the fire consumed him. Just when he thought he was making progress, Barq rose on his hindquarters, backing Will into the box. He became trapped in the stall with the fire encroaching by the minute.

Just then Jack had appeared. When he had realized that his son was not right behind him, he had begun to search the stable. He managed to entice Barq out of the compartment and into the open so that Will could get free.

“Go ahead and get out of here before the roof caves!” he yelled to his son. “I’ve got Barq, and I’ll be right behind you.” Will was uncertain, but the smoke was getting to him and he knew he’d better get out before passing out and causing his father more trouble. Just then the roof began to cave in.


The stable hands had managed to pull Will to safety with only a few injuries but his father had been lost to the flames. Will still regretted his decision to leave his father behind. If only he had stayed there with him, he would not have had to go through the pain and suffering he had. Granted, he had been a spoiled and selfish child who had gotten no more than he deserved in life, but he still missed his father, his one confidant. The only thing left to remind Will of that horrific day was the mass of scars that covered one side of his face. He had been thrown into seclusion after the fire.

This isolation was his own fault. After the fire, he had taken his inheritance and built this mansion in the middle of nowhere, with no one to comfort him in his loss. He hated the stares and questions from friends and strangers alike. His bitter attitude towards life and his own dreadful appearance had scared his servants, so that they did what needed to be done and left him alone with his own self-pity.

Will had considered letting Harry come and work for him at his mansion. He could have been a good friend to have around, but the remorse Will would have felt would have barred any real friendship. Will would have felt guilty about tearing Harry away from his family. So instead, he would take his small payments and be happy with the little visits Harry would make when bringing those payments. Harry told wonderful tales of the outside world. Much better tales than those of his accountant and assistant who visited him when business required it.

Will rarely left his self-exile. He felt it better, for himself and others, to stay away from personal dealings and let his assistant, Robert White, handle things. One exception had been Harry. After a few meetings with Robert, Will knew he had to meet this Mr. Prescott. There was something about his way of doing things that made Will think that he would be different from the others. That he would accept Will for himself, and he had. Wholeheartedly. And that was why Will could not make him stay, no matter how much he longed for the company of a friend.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Jenna entered the clearing by late morning a day later. She had overslept, having awakened only because Daisy was slobbering all over her. She gasped when she saw the house. It was a monstrosity, albeit a very lovely one. The architecture on the house was breathtaking. It stood four stories high with turrets at each corner. The off-white stone on the building dazzled her eyes in the sunlight. But more inviting than the house was the garden. Though it was still too early for many flowers to be blooming, Jenna knew them all and saw that every kind imaginable was present. She couldn’t wait to see the garden in full bloom. It would be spectacular, to be sure. Maybe Mr. Bennett’s gardener was of the friendly sort and would let her help him out, if Mr. Bennett allowed it.

The dell surrounding the house was magnificent as well. The grass was turning a lovely spring green and a stream ran behind the house. Jenna was sure the view from the turrets was arresting. Jenna turned toward the house just a man exited a side door. He hadn’t noticed her yet, and so she watched to see where he was going. He entered the garden with a pair of flower clippers and began to clip away dead flowers. He must be the gardener.

He was a handsome young man, just a few years older than herself with dark brown hair that was slightly too long. He was very tall, six feet at the least. His right side was turned toward her, and all she got was his striking, aristocratic profile. She was too far away to see his eyes, yet. A person gave away a lot by their eyes. He looked to be amiable enough. Jenna pulled Daisy along behind her as she went over to question the gardener as to his master’s whereabouts. Just then, as if sensing he was being watched, the man turned to face her full on, and Jenna rejected the urge to recoil suddenly. While the man’s right side was perfectly normal, he left side was a mass of scars and twisted flesh. The look in his dark blue eyes became guarded as he waited for her reaction to his hideous appearance. Jenna gulped and hoped her face was neutrally pleasant.

“Good morning, sir. Could you direct me to your master, please?” The look he was giving her was making her nervous, and she hoped that what she said had come out correctly. The man gave her a bemused look, as if something she said had caught him off guard.

“Pardon me?” he asked in a pleasant baritone. His right brow arched in consternation, but without a left brow, Jenna wasn’t sure if it arched too. She attempted not to stare at the man’s ghastly appearance. No reason to scare off the man who had created such a lovely garden. She cleared her throat and tried again.

“Um, I’m Miss Prescott and I’m here to see Mr. Bennett on some business. If you could let me know where to find him, I’d appreciate it greatly, sir.” Then she thought to add, “And I love your garden. It’s the most amazing garden I’ve ever seen before. Did you do it all yourself?” The man still looked confused, or maybe it was his scars that made him look that way. In any case, Jenna decided to clarify. “I assume you are the creator of this garden. It really is very lovely.” She gave him a small smile, hoping to relieve some of the tension arising in the air and gestured toward his hand filled with flower heads. The man glanced down at his hand, as if noticing that he was holding shears and flowers for the first time. A light dawned in his eyes and he shook his head as if to clear it.

“Oh yes, of course. Thank you. You say you’re here to see Mr. Bennett. Just what business do you have with him?” he inquired.

Jenna began to fill with ire. Just what kind of hired worker was he that he felt himself important enough to interrogate his master’s visitors? She clenched her hand tighter around Daisy’s lead, and the horse pulled back and snuffled. Jenna let go of the rope and placed her hands on her hips.

“I really don’t see how it is any of your business why I’m here, sir, and I’d appreciate it if you would just point me in the right direction of your master’s offices, and I’ll leave you be!”

The gardener snickered and tossed the flower heads to the ground. Jenna’s jaw dropped and her ire grew. She already did not like this Mr. Bennett for disrupting her life, and if he accepted this defiance from his servants, that was just one more reason for her to dislike the man.

“Now you see here! I demand to be taken to Mr. Bennett at once. And while I’m there, I’ll be sure to tell him that his gardener has taken the liberty of cross-examining his guests!” By this time Jenna had taken one hand from her hip and was shaking a finger in his face like a mother would to a truant child. The gardener coughed as if to cover up another chuckle and bowed sardonically to her.

“This way milady,” he said with a mocking smile.


Will led the way inside to his spacious offices. He preferred conducting business outdoors, but decided to go inside for this one. He covered another chuckle as he walked up the stairs. This must be Jenna, the spunky, opinionated one. He could see why she was Harry’s favorite. She must make life interesting for all around her, he thought to himself. He didn’t find her a raging beauty, but she had a way about her that drew attention to herself. He wondered what she was doing here. He could only guess that she was going to try to renegotiate the terms of the payments.

He waited at the door of his offices for Jenna to go through first. She nodded coolly to him as she walked past. Will followed with another smile tugging at his lips. The gardener! Now that humbled him. It was understandable, though. He had been working out in the garden. How was she to know he had no one helping with the gardens. He refused to let anyone come near his gardens, let alone help plant and maintain them. It was a hard job, but he really enjoyed it. It gave him beauty in his world of business and bitterness. He rounded the desk and sat in the chair behind it. Jenna looked at him with dismay. The realization of who he was began to dawn on her.

“What are you doing? Where is Mr. Bennett? I demand to see Mr. Bennett!”

Will gave her a bitter, mocking smile. “In the flesh Miss Prescott. Jenna, I presume? Have a seat.” He gestured at the chair across the desk from him, and Jenna felt compelled to sit. “Now, what can I do for you? I assume you’re here over your father’s financial state. I won’t consider a renegotiation, if that’s why you’re here.” Funny how all of his good intentions flew out of his head the moment he opened his mouth. It happened sometimes. Okay, maybe he would send her back home, but only after putting her in her place. Just as he opened his mouth to speak, though, Jenna cut in.

“That’s not why I’m here sir.” Will bit back his surprise and clenched his fists. Why else would she be here, if not to renegotiate? Surely she wasn’t. . .no of course not. That was a crazy thought. She had to be trying to wheedle her way out of it for her father. Well he wouldn’t allow it, but again before he could form a single word, Jenna spoke up.

“I’m here to fulfill my father’s part of the bargain.” She rushed on before he could get a word in. “I know you agreed on his paying you in installments, but you can’t do that to him! He’s getting old and can’t move around like he used to. Another change or extra work would upset his health greatly. I can’t watch him waste away when I’m able do something about it.” She stumbled here, as if she wasn’t sure this was what she wanted. “I. . . I’ve come to work for you in lieu of the payments.” At the vulnerable, caring look in her eyes, Will felt a little crack in his shield. He had to say something.

“Sir, please reconsider the agreement. I can’t let my father waste away. This is the only way we can repay you.” Jenna’s eyes had become very bright in the last few minutes, and Will knew her words to be true. Even if he allowed Harry and his daughters to stay together, Harry would soon waste away, always knowing all of his hard-earned work was going to another who didn’t really need it. Will knew he would later regret his decision, but put it into words anyway.

“You can stay,” he uttered as though those were the hardest words he would ever say. He stood up and headed for the door. “I -- I’ll show you to your room now, if you would like.” She nodded her head, but never said a word.

Will led her down the hall. “You can choose any room you wish. We have ten on this floor and sixteen on the next. The fourth floor contains the servants’ quarters. I’ll give you a tour of the whole house after you’ve settled in a bit. After all, this will be your home now as well.”


The word home reverberated in Jenna’s mind as she began peaking in each room, trying to choose one. The mansion, what she had seen of it anyway, was beautiful but it was not, nor would it ever be, home. Home was the cottage back in the village with her father and sister. Home was her garden outside of her window, and the lean-to out back. Jenna, the stoic, fought tears once more. It seemed that all she wanted to do these days was cry.

She opened the next door and Mr. Bennett followed close behind her. She stepped inside and perused the room. This room was somewhat smaller than the rest she’d seen, but it was still larger than the entire living/kitchen area of the cottage. It had its own sitting area, as did the rest of the rooms. This one was done in shades of blues and greens that reminded her of nature. The carpets were rich and luxurious, also done in shades of blue and green. The bed rested on a short dais next to one of the walls. Instead of the usual heavy drapes surrounding the bed, this one had green sheer curtains, which made the room seem lighter. The bed too was different. It looked like the Arabian couches she had seen in her books back in the city.

The sitting area contained two couches, also of the Middle Eastern style. Next to one of the couches stood a table and chairs done in a light wood. The only thing out of place in the room was the fireplace on one wall. Jenna had noticed that each room she had entered had a theme to it. This had to be the Arabian one. She liked it, a lot.

“I want this one, please.” She turned to Mr. Bennett to see if her choice was okay with him, but before he could answer she saw the balcony. She walked over and opened the glass doors and stepped onto the veranda. This room was at the back of the house and so looked over the entire dell, including the river.

“It’s so beautiful,” she said to herself as she gazed the charming spring picture presented to her. She stared at it for a few minutes before Will stepped up beside her.

“Thank you. I fell in love with the place the first time I saw it. I knew I wanted my house here.” Jenna jumped at the deep voice behind her. She had forgotten that she was not alone. Had forgotten for a moment why she was there in the first place. Some of her excitement dimmed as she remembered. She turned toward him.

“May I have this room Mr. Bennett?” she asked again. This one had definitely been her favorite out of them all. He gave her a curt nod before turning to go back into the room.

“I’ll go retrieve your saddlebags and make sure your horse has been stabled.”

“Oh no, I can do that Mr. Bennett. No need for you to go through the trouble just for me.”

He shook his head. “Really, I don’t mind doing it.” He walked into the hall but stopped as if he had just remembered something. “Lunch will be eaten at one PM. I’ll bring up your saddlebags before then so that you can freshen up. After lunch I’ll give you the grand tour.” With that he closed the door.

Jenna sat down on one of the couches and sighed. She didn’t know how this would ever work out. She wondered what he thought of her for yelling at him. Well, it wasn’t like she was to know who he was. She had never met the man before. And he was holding gardening shears. An intelligent person would deduce that he was the gardener. And she did believe herself to be fairly intelligent.

Jenna also speculated on what had happened to his face. She thought that she had done a good job on not acknowledging the fact that anything was wrong. From the guarded look he had given her at her arrival, she figured he was sensitive about it. It was better left unspoken she guessed. If she ended up living here forever, she would surely find out sooner or later.


Will stood outside of Jenna’s door, unable to move. How was he going to be able to do this? She was kind, spunky, and intelligent, while he was. . .well a beast, in looks and temperament. They would never get along. He thought back to their meeting and smiled. She did have quite a temper when she wanted to. It matched her hair, though.

Harry had never described Jenna as beautiful; that was always Mara. From what Will saw, Jenna did not perceive herself as beautiful either. She was confident, but she did not carry herself as if she expected all to be in awe of her. Will, though, saw a beauty that was inward as well as outward.

She had red hair that lit up like a halo in the sunlight. Her nose had freckles from being out in the sun that he found very endearing. She was petite, much shorter than his own 6’2” frame, and she moved with a grace only a rider possessed. Her eyes were a very interesting mixture of brown and gold and held a spark of mischief in them. More than looks, however, Will knew her to possess a beautiful inner character.

They had nothing in common, that was for sure. She had a fiery personality, even though she had been through many trials, while he had been embittered and jaded by life. Soon she would resent him for the isolated life she would have to lead, of this he was certain. One such as herself could not be alienated from all she held dear to her for long. He would only keep her here long enough for her to think she had paid off the debt and then he would release her. With that decided, he started for the stairs to go outside.

Something about her nonetheless, bothered him but he couldn’t put his finger on it at the moment. Oh well, it would come to him soon enough. And come to him it did as he was checking her horse’s stall. When she first looked at him fully in the face, she hadn’t even flinched at his grotesque appearance. She and Harry had been the only ones ever since the accident that hadn’t reacted to his form with guilty looks, pity, or even abhorrence. She had looked directly into his eyes and smiled. Actually smiled! Jenna was definitely different than anyone he had ever met. Maybe they could someday be friends. He smiled a bit sadly at the thought. But then he’d let her go back to her home and family and would probably never see her again. She would take up her life where she had left off and never think of the ugly, cynical beast in the middle of the forest ever again.

She did like his garden and her room, though. He could see it in her eyes and hear it in her voice. The Arabian room had always been his favorite, too. The blues and greens were soothing and the furniture added a character that no other room had. Helping decorate the rooms when he first moved in had given him something to think about after the accident, and he had relished the work.

After looking the horse over, he called the stable boy over to brush her down. Will picked up the saddlebags and headed back towards the house. They were light, and he knew Jenna couldn’t have packed much. He needed to remember to have Mrs. Livingston measure Jenna for some new clothes this afternoon. He had a feeling Jenna would fight it, but he wanted to give her something since she was willing to come live with him. Will knocked on Jenna’s door to let her know he had her saddlebags, but she didn’t answer. He opened the door to check on her and found her asleep on one of the couches. She looked so quiet and serene sleeping there. The worry and tension had been smoothed out of her face by slumber. He could just stand there staring at her for hours. She stirred then, as if she knew he was there. She gave him a sleepy look.

“Lunch time already?” she asked with a yawn. Then she came fully awake and realized where she was and who she was with. She bolted upright on the couch. “I’m so sorry Mr. Bennett. I didn’t mean to fall asleep, I promise. I – I didn’t get much sleep last night and. . .” she trailed off.

Will frowned. She didn’t think him such a beast that he wouldn’t allow her to sleep, did she? Jenna mistook the frown as disappointment for herself and stood up to face him. “Really I –“

Will stopped her apology by placing his hand on her shoulder. “There is nothing wrong sleeping, Jenna. It’s okay, really.” Then he realized his hand was still on her shoulder, and he removed it quickly. “Pardon me,” he said to her. “Umm, if you’d like to freshen up a little, I’ll wait outside the door to escort you to lunch.” He backed towards the door.

“Yes, sir,” she replied. “I’ll be right out.”


~ Chapter 3 ~

Jenna splashed some water on her face from the water pitcher in her changing room. Life here would be interesting and different, this much she could tell already. It was so quiet here. Back home she had always heard the sounds of the nearby village. The wagons and horses driving by, people talking to each other, the shepherd driving his sheep home each night. Here she had yet to see a single person besides Mr. Bennett, and the only animals to be seen or heard of were the woodland creatures in the forest. She opened up the glass doors to the terrace to let in the sounds of the river and birds outside. Where were all the people? One man who must be busy enough with business could not keep up a house this large. But she had yet to see one stable hand, maid, or apparently even a gardener. After Jenna dressed in a fresh dress, she joined Mr. Bennett in the hall.

“After you, milady,” he said as he gave her the same mocking bow he’d given her earlier. She wondered what had left him so resentful and cynical. It was as if he was afraid to let anyone get close to him, and so he guarded his heart with deriding words and sardonic smiles. But she knew he wasn’t like that inside. She had seen his face as he was in his garden, and again as he gazed down at her when she had awakened. She recognized that deep down he was just hurting, and she decided that she would help him. Maybe he wasn’t the terrible ogre he made himself out to be. She pushed all thoughts of kindness from her mind then. He had hurt her family, and she could never forgive him for that. She conveniently forgot that the family downfall was not his fault in the first place.

They exited the house out of the same side door Will had used earlier as Jenna had watched him on her arrival. The food was laid out on a table but there was not a servant in sight. Will pulled out Jenna’s chair for her. At least he still had his manners. Jenna broached the subject of servants.

“Mr. Bennett, do you not have any hired help? I have yet to see anyone besides you.” Her brow wrinkled in befuddlement as she looked around her. “Surely you don’t care for this monstrosity on your own!”

Will glared at Jenna. “Do you not like my house? Is it not to your tastes? Or is it that you don’t think me capable of caring for something on my own. Is that it?” Jenna’s eyes widened at his outburst. She had just asked a simple question hoping for a little conversation.

“Oh, no! Your house is beyond exquisite. I’ve never seen it’s equal. It’s just that it is so large and the grounds so vast. Surely you have stable hands for your horses, maids to clean your house, and chefs to cook your meals. And these gardens are awe-inspiring. Clearly you do not have the time to do it all yourself. You are only one man.” Though a very stubborn one, she continued to herself. Will had enough shame to look contrite.

“Yes, I do have servants, but they find me a little. . .overbearing and intimidating. I rarely see much of them. Just in case you run into them, though, I’ll tell you a bit about them. Mrs. Livingston heads up the household. She does some of the cleaning and also takes care to see that I have enough clothing. Her rooms are the last ones on the third floor. Please go see her this afternoon for a fitting.” He held out a piece of paper to her. “See that she gets this. She’ll know what to do. I have –“

“Wait a minute, sir!” Jenna interrupted. “A fitting? For what reason do I need to be fitted? I brought clothing enough with me, and it will do me just fine. I won’t be taking any charity from you. I’m here as your employee, not your guest!”


Will sighed inwardly at her words. He had known she would be stubborn about this. Obstinacy was one trait they both possessed. He had a feeling this would not be the last time they would bump heads. So he told her one thing that would not make her refuse his gift.

“I run a strict household here. Afternoon meals are casual dress, but evening meals are not. I will expect you to be in your best during dinner each night. I also love to ride and will want your company on those rides. You cannot ride without the proper attire. Remember that I carried your saddlebags up to your room; I know how light they are, and that you could not have carried all you will possibly need in them. So do as I say and see Mrs. Livingston this afternoon.” He glared at her.

“Now, as I was saying before the rude interruption, I have two other maids employed here at this time to take care of the cleaning of the house. I believe their names are Anastasia and Anna Marie but I’m not sure.” He waved the thought off with a hand. “I also have a cook named Gerard who spends all of his time in the kitchen or herb garden. You probably won’t see much of him and be grateful for that fact. He’s even more of a bear than I am.” A small smile played at his lips with those words. “But his meals are wonderful so I keep him on. My other employees are the three stable hands. I’m sure you will get to know them before long. And don’t worry, they’ll take good care of your horse. . .” Here he trailed off to give her a chance to name her horse.

“Daisy,” she replied. “My horse’s name is Daisy. And believe you me, if she is in the slightest way mistreated, you will hear about it!” The way she had straightened up in her seat as she protected her horse was engaging. Will would give anything to have anyone show half the loyalty for him as she showed for her horse. He cleared his throat and brought his mind back to the subject.

“And one more thing. I do not employ a gardener. I do have a landscaper who takes care of the trees and lawn, but no one, and I mean no one, is allowed to touch my flowers. Do you understand me, Jenna? They are mine and must be left alone.” Will watched as Jenna looked longingly at his garden. Finally Jenna responded.

“Yes sir,” she whispered as she looked down at her plate in front of her. Enough of this, Will thought. He stood up and went to pull out Jenna’s chair for her.

“Now, how about a tour of the house?” She stood up next to him and snickered.

“The house? Sure why not.”

Will gave her a dark look. “Is there something wrong with my house?”

Jenna smiled back at him. “No of course not. Except for the fact that it’s not a house. It’s a monstrosity, a mansion, a castle really, yet you insist on calling it a house.” She shrugged. “I just don’t understand your view, I guess. To each his own,” she finished as she walked past him. Will shook his head as he followed her. He wondered what she really thought of his house. And yes, he did call it his home. It had been home to him for almost nine years. They came in through the front door.
© Copyright 2003 barlowgirl (barlowgirl at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/613694-Beauty---Part-1