*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/618175-A-Cry-for-Help-Answered
Rated: 18+ · Essay · Educational · #618175
Child Abuse: How to help prevent it. An educational read.
Here is an research paper on the prevention of child abuse that I wrote in college at The University of Vermont. A lot of the information pertains to the statistics and programs in Vermont, but overall the paper serves as an eye-opening piece in preventing child maltreatment that one can relate to their own town, state, or experience.


Please also check out this forum:
 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#625112 by Not Available.


_______________________
A Cry for Help Answered

A 6 year old boy, multiple substantiations of physical and emotional abuse by father including: father punched son in stomach and on arm causing bruising and knocking child to the floor; father putting child in dark closet and throwing lit firecracker under the door as a punishment for being afraid of the dark; father forcing child to swallow dish detergent as a punishment for lying about sneaking a drink of water; child confined to room for long periods of time and denied drinks of water because of his bed-wetting problems; child sustained 7 inch long scratch on stomach and chest area when father grabbed him out of bed and, also picked up child and held him against the highest shelf in his room and dropped the child on his buttocks, then threw shoes at the child, hitting him on the head.

-Children of a Hidden War: Stories of
Vermont’s Child Abuse Victims in 1994.


A prominent threat to a child’s safety and welfare is the violence he or she may experience through abuse and neglect. The child above is not alone. Over a million children in the United States today are victims of child maltreatment, whether it is in the form of physical, sexual, or emotional abuse, or neglect. Child abuse and neglect are widespread problems that affect all types of family structure and all segments of the population, regardless of individual differences in cultural background, geographic location, or social status. One abused child though, is one too many. Effective steps need to be taken in order to try to prevent and eliminate this disheartening problem.

Dr. C. Henry Kempe introduced “the battered child syndrome” in the 1960’s, as the first medical diagnosis for child maltreatment. A model child abuse reporting law was soon drafted, and by 1967, every state in the country had adopted legislation requiring professionals to report suspected and known cases of child abuse (Fryer 1). Since then, public recognition, understanding, and interest in child abuse has significantly expanded, giving rise to the development of numerous protection programs, and the extensive training of professionals from a variety of disciplines to help serve the victims of abuse.

Approximately 47 out of every 1,000 children are reported as victims of child maltreatment in the United States. According to data on child maltreatment fatalities available in 1996, 1,185 child abuse and neglect related fatalities were confirmed. Based on these numbers, more than three children die each day as a result of child abuse or neglect (Prevent Child Abuse America).

The state of Vermont is not excluded from the relevancy of child violence. In 1997, approximately 1040 children were victims of abuse (Derby 1), with the number of children determined to be at risk of harm increasing from 240 the previous year to 296 in 1997, marking a 23 percent increase (Ring 5). It is estimated that for every reported case of child abuse in Vermont, three go unreported. Using this estimate, one out of every 55 children is experiencing abuse or neglect here in Vermont (Child Abuse 54).

Vermont law (33 V.S.A., Section 4912) defines child abuse as:
* Any physical injury to a child which has been caused by other than accidental means.
* Emotional maltreatment of a child defined as a pattern of malicious behavior which results in impaired psychological growth and development.
* Sexual abuse consisting of any act involving sexual molestation or exploitation of a child including but not limited to incest, rape, sodomy, lewd and lascivious conduct involving a child and child pornography.
* Neglectful treatment of a child, including failure to provide adequate food, clothing, shelter, or health care.
* Risk of harm to a child defined as danger that a child will be severely harmed by other than accidental means.
* Abandonment (Children of Hidden War 1).

Although child maltreatment is clearly evident in Vermont, the rate of confirmed victims of child abuse has dropped by 27 percent between 1984 and 1995 (State of Our Children 30). The number of abused children continued to decline in 1997, for the fifth consecutive year in a row, bringing the figures to a 15-year low. The number of children who were physically abused fell 36 percent, with the most dramatic number (58 percent decline) in the birth to age three group (Ring 5). Vermont’s figures for abuse reporting were the second lowest in the country in 1995. It is suggested that Vermont is likely to maintain this top rating in comparison to other states for its low rates of abuse (Derby 16).

Why are these numbers decreasing? To what can we attribute this decline in rate of child abuse? State Commissioner of Social and Rehabilitation Services, William Young, attributed the decline to state programs and a change in the public’s attitude toward child abuse, saying that “we are not going to tolerate abuse of children in Vermont (Ring 5).” In an article in the Rutland Herald, Young also mentioned that “with abuse rates linked closely to poverty rates, the strong economy also plays a role (16).” Vermont’s small size may also coincide with this decline, with this change in trend seeming more extreme as compared to other states (Vermont Child Abuse and Neglect 5).

Karrin Kritchman-De Jong who works at Prevent Child Abuse, a statewide and also a nationwide service, agrees with Young. She too credits the decline to available programs here in Vermont. Kritchman-De Jong was unsure of her opinion as to why the number of children at risk of abuse has been increasing over the past few years, guessing that it may be due to environmental concerns. However, she believes that early intervention and prevention programs and services contribute to the decrease of victims of child abuse. She believes that there are more helpful services “out there now” and that “people have more of an awareness of child abuse” (Kritchman-De Jong).

Child abuse and neglect are preventable public health problems. At no time has this been clearer than now, when we have seen such a strong decline in child abuse victims. Both Young and Kritchman-De Jong credit the decline to child protection and prevention programs. Such services range from hotlines and crisis counseling to parenting classes and support groups. Vermont area services include a Parent’s Assistance Line, offering counseling and support with referrals to over 3,500 counselors and social service agencies in Vermont and Success by Six, a home-visit program that is intended to help families deemed to be at risk.

Prevent Child Abuse offers many different programs including Parents Anonymous, which provides weekly support groups for parents in more than 20 locations around Vermont. The Nurturing Program, a 15 week curriculum style program open to the entire family, offers group interaction with other families as well as individual activities, with specific children’s programs also being provided. Prevent Child Abuse supplies additional information through their school-based programs. Shaken Baby Program and SAFETY are examples of such programs that go to area schools to discuss the issues of child abuse and sexuality (Kritchman-De Jong). Other helpful state programs include the Lund Family Center and the Vermont Center for the Prevention of Child Abuse. Each of these programs is helpful in the treatment of child abuse.

In the 1960’s, the “Abused Child” Law of Vermont emerged. To protect children from physical abuse by parents and other adults responsible for their care, the 1965 General Assembly passed legislation requiring mandatory reporting of child abuse by physicians and institutions (Abused Child Law 1). People engaged in the medical profession have become very familiar with the medical problem of child abuse. According to the updated version of this law, physicians who have reasonable cause to suspect that a child under the age of eighteen has had serious physical injury inflicted upon him or her other than by accidental means by a child care provider, are to report to the Vermont Department of Social and Rehabilitation Services (SRS). An oral report made by telephone should be made within 24 hours, followed later by a written report (Affolter 69).

Vermont law also places a legal obligation on certain other individuals to report suspected child abuse or neglect to the SRS. These people include dentists, school superintendents, teachers, librarians, guidance counselors, day care workers, social workers, and psychologists. Probation and police officers, camp owners, and camp counselors are also required by law to report child maltreatment. In addition, any other person who has reason to believe that a child has been abused may also file an oral or written report with the SRS. An investigation into a report of child abuse is to start within 72 hours of receiving the report (Sussman 63).

One can seek help through Vermont's Abuse Prevention Act, which is designed to provide immediate protection from domestic and child abuse. Concerned parents can help protect their children from further abuse if it has been committed by a current or past family or household member. A Relief from Abuse Order can be issued against the abuser. An emergency Temporary Relief from Abuse Order can be issued if it is thought that the children are in immediate danger of being further abused. It can be applied for to a Vermont Family Court, Superior Court, or District Court Judge. The courts and many support organizations have the forms for a Temporary Relief from Abuse Order. One does not have to wait for regular business hours to seek a Temporary Order. There is also no charge for filing for a Relief from Abuse Order. To apply for a Temporary Order, one must write an affidavit describing the details of what happened and why one is afraid for oneself and the children. The abuser may then be ordered to stop the abuse and harassment, and also to exclude contact. The abuser may be ordered to leave the home, and temporary custody of the children may be awarded to the other spouse, partner, or other relative.

These laws can’t prevent child abuse or the effects of physical violence inflicted on a child, but they can help to impede further mental, emotional, and physical damage resulting from repeated maltreatment. Once a case of suspected child abuse is reported, state protective services can be brought in as an effort to protect the welfare of a child and to prevent further abuse.

Many Vermont children are taken out of their homes as a result of child abuse and neglect. The majority is placed in foster care, while others are placed in group homes or out-of-state institutions.

A number of studies have attempted to uncover the factors associated with child abuse in order to put together a profile of the “typical” case. However, there is no typical abused child, nor is there any particular family type at risk for involvement in abuse. Nevertheless, there are certain characteristics correlated with child abuse.

Physical abuse occurs almost exclusively within the family unit, with the child’s home being the main scene for acts of cruelty. Over 90 percent of abuse is committed by a child’s relative; a parent, stepparent, or a parent’s boyfriend or girlfriend (Fryer 33).

Age, sex, and birth order of a child are all related to the occurrence of child abuse. Infancy is the period of greatest risk for child maltreatment. Premature babies, low birth-weight babies, and those with cerebral palsy and mental retardation are at an elevated risk for abuse. Although infants are at a greater risk for abuse, older children are not excluded from the susceptibility and danger of child maltreatment. Similar abuse of older children may not require as much attention and thus is not reported as often (Tzeng 52). Young boys are at a greater risk for abuse than young girls are, and it has been discovered that abused children tend to come from relatively large families. For instance, families with four or more children account for 40 percent of child abuse cases. Usually one child in the family is targeted for child abuse, while his or her siblings are treated well. It is often the youngest child who is singled out for the abuse (Cicchetti 51).

Certain times of the day also connect to the occurrence of child abuse, with the greatest percentage of incidents grouped between the hours of 3 and 6 P.M., usually when children return from school and the busy dinner hour gets underway, and between 6 and 9 P.M., when both adults and children are weary from the day (Cicchetti 52).

There can be many reasons for child abuse. Factors such as stress, marital discord, alcohol, and substance abuse increase the chances of physical abuse. It is suggested that abusive parenting styles are learned. Many parents and other relatives who abuse children were often abused themselves during childhood. Oftentimes, the abuser has a personality disorder or is mentally ill. Some parents set high expectations for their children, and when they are not met, the children become victims of physical violence by the parents (Ammerman 89). Poverty has also been associated with the occurrence of child maltreatment. Inadequate financial resources, unemployment and low education may be linked to the physical abuse of a child. Insufficient family income may lead to social stress, and that stress in turn may produce the physical abuse of children. Many people presume poverty is the factor that is most correlated with child abuse. However, it is believed that low socioeconomic status groups are more denoted because of an increased likelihood of being officially reported. Lower-class families may be overrepresented statistically because they lack resources to help them avoid official classification, while middle- and upper-class families are more able to afford therapeutic attention (Tzeng, Jackson, and Karlson 53).

There are many signs that show the physical abuse of children such as malnutrition, bruises, broken bones, crippling, mutilation, and brain-damaging beatings. The devastating impact of child maltreatment on individuals, families, and society is indescribable. Child abuse can have lasting effects on a victim, including mental retardation, intellectual and intelligence handicaps, and poor interpersonal relationships. Serious behavioral effects have also been traced to child maltreatment, including uncontrollable severe temper tantrums, extreme withdrawal, depression, rebelliousness, aggressiveness, hostility, and overt violence. Maltreated children have more serious personal problems and engage in more antisocial activities. However, the most intense and enduring damage to victims of child abuse is often psychological.

Child abuse can have a serious impact on the structure of society as well. Many child abuse victims later become juvenile delinquents, criminals, alcoholics, or mentally ill. Some even die before reaching the age of 35. When maltreated children become older, they end up in juvenile and adult correctional facilities at higher rates than children from the general population do (Tzeng, Jackson, and Karlson 6).

The state of Vermont has taken an important stand on this crucial issue. As previously mentioned, Vermont’s figures for abuse reporting were the second lowest in the country in 1995. I believe there are many reasons for this. I agree with State Commissioner of Social and Rehabilitation Services, William Young, and Karrin Kritchman-De Jong in crediting the decline to state programs and services. The Lund Family Center, Success by Six, the Vermont Center for the Prevention of Child Abuse, and various others have contributed to the awareness and treatment of child abuse. The state has several important laws, such as the “Abused Child” Law and Vermont’s Abuse Prevention Act, that also assist in the continuing decline of child maltreatment.

Vermont can be a role model to other states across the country. Hopefully if others were to follow Vermont’s lead, child abuse rates would eventually also decline across the country.



Works Cited

Affolter, Richard W. and The Vermont State Medical Society. A Physicians Guide to Vermont Law. Montpelier, Vermont. 1992.

Ammerman, Robert T. and Michael Hersen. Children at Risk. New York: Plenum Press, 1990.

Children of a Hidden War: Stories of Vermont’s Child Abuse Victims in 1994. Waterbury: Vermont Agency of Human Services, 1995.

Cicchetti, Dante and Vicki Carlson. Child Maltreatment. New York: Cambridge University Press, 1989.

Derby, Diane. “Vermont Child Abuse Lowest in Years.” Rutland Herald 18 May 1998: 1, 16.

Fryer Jr., George E. Child Abuse and the Social Environment. Boulder: Westview Press, 1993.

Kritchman-De Jong, Karrin. Personal Interview. 27 April 1999.

Prevent Child Abuse America. Chicago, IL. April 1998 <http://www.childabuse.org/facts97.html>.

Ring, Wilson. “Child Abuse at 15-year low: Change in public attitude cited.” Burlington
Free Press 18 May 1998: B5.

The State of Our Children: Kids Count in Vermont, The 1995-1996 Vermont KIDS COUNT Data Book. Vermont Children’s Forum, 1996.

Sussman, Susan M. The Legal Rights of Women in Vermont. Montpelier, 1998.

Tzeng, Oliver C.S., Jay W. Jackson, and Henry C. Karlson. Theories of Child Abuse and Neglect. New York: Praeger Publishers, 1991.

Vermont Child Abuse and Neglect 1990. Division of Social Services, State of Vermont: 1991.












© Copyright 2003 Mariposa (kierrala at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/618175-A-Cry-for-Help-Answered