*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/618989-Little-Girl-in-Hiroshima
Rated: ASR · Short Story · History · #618989
One woman describes her experience during the bombing of Hiroshima, Japan.
A young Japanese girl around 13 years sat down across from an elderly Japanese woman. “ Higurashi-san, I’d like to thank you for agreeing on this interview.” The woman looked up, “It’s really no problem. Shall we get started?” The girl nodded. “Alright then…

I was only five at the time. I had gone down stairs for a glass of water and that’s when I saw it. It started as a dim light filling the kitchen but as it got closer the light grew as did the temperature. A moment or two later my parents rushed downstairs. They looked frightened and though I had been fascinated with the current events this fact scared me. My father scooped me up into his arms and we ran out of the house as fast as we could. As time passed the heat got almost unbearable. Tears mingled with sweat and I buried my face into my fathers jacket. We could here the screams of those who weren’t far enough to escape the searing heat as well as the sirens warning all those who were still in their homes. Our family finally got to the bomb shelter my father and mother had had the mind to build in case of something like this. We heard the bomb hit. I curled instinctively closer to my mother. We heard screams and then suddenly there was silence. We hesitantly climbed from our underground safe haven into the wreckage that used to be Hiroshima. My breath caught in my throat and more tears made their way down my cheeks. Everywhere there were charred remains and destroyed concrete. It was then that I fainted. When I awoke we were far away from the ruins of our home. I will never forget that day…”

The girls eyes widened and a gasp escaped her. The woman looked up, “Yes it was a horrible day…” The girl swallowed, “ Thank you again Higurashi-san…” She stood up and turned to leave, “ Are you sure you’ll be alright dear?” She turned back, “ Ano, Higurashi-san, I’m not sure I will…” And with that she left…
© Copyright 2003 Catanaition (hanyou_lily at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/618989-Little-Girl-in-Hiroshima