*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/627665-THE-WEDDING
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Contest · #627665
Written for the Five Minute Tales Contest

THE WEDDING

Sarah looked longingly at the beautiful gowns in the shop window. They all had to be at least a size 3, so tiny waisted that it was hard to believe that a real person would ever fit into one of them. Bravely she entered the shop, and jumped when she heard the bells ring as the door opened. She was hoping not to attract attention!

One of the size 3 salesgirls came over and asked if she could help. "Oh, yes", she said, "you can help me find something to wear at my wedding!"
The salesgirl smothered a laugh, for Sarah was at least seventy years old if she was a day, and a good size 20, if she was any judge!

However, being trained in POLITENESS, she regained her composure and led Sarah to the back of the store. "We have a few gowns back here that are a little more in keeping with what you might have in mind" she said.

Sarah followed her meekly, and wished she hadn't come in. She felt very foolish. "A woman of my age", she thought, "should have better sense!"

The gowns hung loosely on the rack, a grim reminder that weddings are for the younger generation. Yet there was one that stood out from all the rest. A soft cream-color, high neck and flowing form, it looked as if it might indeed fit! Sarah asked the girl if she could try it on, and the girl nodded toward the dressing room.

Inside, Sarah took off her not-quite-Spring dress and soon wore the gown, turning this way and that in front of the long mirror. It didn't look too bad at all. She lovingly touched the embroidered roses that covered the bodice, and cascaded down the side of the gown. Sarah took it off and hung it back on the hanger, having decided that this was the perfect gown for her wedding.

Having made her purchase, she hurried out the door with the gown boxed under her arm. She was excited, and couldn't wait for George to see her in it.

Now, George was another story entirely. He was a strange old coot, but he was HER old coot, and she did love him. He tended to be a bit stoggy and stingy. Sarah had to convince him that he should at least wear the suit that he'd been saving for his funeral. It wouldn't hurt to have him dressed in something besides old baggy pants and flannel shirts.

The day of the wedding soon arrived, and her daughter Jenny had come by to help her mother prepare for the wedding. Jenny approved of George, a good man, and her mother seemed happier than she had in years.

Jenny found her mother in the bedroom, struggling to get the gown zipped up in back. "Mom", Jenny said, "Let me help you!" "I am so glad you came, Jenny. I couldn't have gotten myself together without you!"

Once dressed, a final touch to her hair, Sarah let Jenny apply a faint touch of makeup. She looked at her reflection in the mirror. "Every bride should be beautiful" she thought, but all she could see was an old woman in a beautiful gown with a red face and white hair. George would probably turn and run.

Downstairs in Sarah's livingroom, guests had taken their seats and were waiting for Sarah to come down. Up next to the minister was George, looking spendid in his funeral suit, and a new flannel shirt. George was a bit tired, but he held up well for a man of eighty. He felt like a young colt, eager to say his "I do's" and get on to the honeymoon they had planned.

Cousin Elizabeth caught a glimspe of Sarah coming down the stairs, followed by Jenny. She turned to the piano and started playing "Here Comes The Bride". All eyes turned to watch Sarah slowly make her way down to stand beside her future husband.

Sarah froze. What in the world was she doing! Her face got redder still. She ignored the gentle push her daughter Jenny gave her. All she wanted to do was turn around, run back to her room and forget the whole thing!

Without a word, George started walking toward her. Soon he stood at her side, taking her hand and looking into her terror-striken eyes. "It's all right, Sarah", he said.

Sarah took his arm and looked up at his solemn face. This was the man she loved. Once more the music started, and Sarah walked with head held high, arm in arm with George, to face the minister. George beamed, a broad smile on his face. Softly, so that no one could hear, he whispered to Sarah "Once you have found her, never let her go.." These were the words to a very old love song. Their song.

The minister started the ceremony "Dearly Beloved, we are gathered together.." and through it all, they remembered to say "I do" in all the right places. There was no doubt that they would love, honor and cherish each other - until death them do part. Hopefully, they thought silently to themselves, that death would take its time. They had many dreams to dream and it was the beginning of a new life for them both.

Their eyes met, and lingered. "I now pronouce you man and wife!" the minister exclaimed, happy that they had indeed made it through the ceremony.

Sarah and George kissed, then turned to face their families and friends as man and wife. The guests stood and cheered, wishing them the very best. Sarah started to faint, but George had the smelling salts handy, and held her tightly to steady her.

"You old coot!" Sarah said. "Yes, but I'm YOUR old coot now", George replied.

And they lived happily ever after.


© Copyright 2003 COUNTRYMOM-JUST REMEMBER ME (countrymom at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/627665-THE-WEDDING