*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/633950-Truly
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Other · #633950
Truly I'm seeking something I lost, I'm seeking something I need.
The rain is falling again and it is hitting the window in uneven, sporadic bursts of wetness. It is dark and cold here, empty and silent. I linger in the shadows, wondering why I remain in such a dark and dreary place. No answer comes and so I watch.

They are enjoying themselves. It seems to me that the whole world has a reason to laugh as I linger in shadows and sin. I can't smile, I can't laugh, there is nothing holding me to the emotions expressed by the worthless before me. They are worthless. They seek only joy and greed and they receive it in untold amounts.

I don't despise them truly. I just don't care for them. I sit in the den of sin and blend in with the shadows in the corner as the rain pounds the window like anxious hands trying to reach me. They won't be able to lay their cold grip upon me. I am too powerful for that.

If I were to leave this corner, the laughing and flirting would stop and the screams of terror would begin. They would run about madly, flailing their arms and praying. They always pray, deep meaningful prayers that are only a desperate last attempt to reach the only power that matters. And He forgives them, knowing full well that if they lived another day they wouldn't even speak His Name...except to curse Him.

I watch the young girl standing by the closet door. She doesn't belong here. Something about her reeks purity and doubt. She has come with someone. Who?

My eyes rove the room and I see her. A friend? No, a sister. Someone she cares for so immensely that she wouldn't dare let her come to this den of death alone. Yet the sister could care less about the protective force by the closet door. And that sits well with me.

I seek their names and they come to me effortlessly on the music only I hear through the rough beat of rap coming from the box speakers. Mary and Jane. How quaint. I lean back and watch Mary hovering too close to the punch bowl. She refills her cup, swallows it down and fills it again. The sin of drink and alcohol.

Jane coughs but only I hear it. I roll my eyes over to her and study her closely. She stands stoically among the weaving bodies, her blue jeans loose and unflattering, her shirt long and concealing. She definitely doesn't belong here.

I return my gaze to Mary and take in her skintight jeans and tight white midriff shirt with black bra underneath. Mary belongs here with all of them. Yes, she does.

I resist the urge to laugh but a chuckle escapes my mouth regardless. I feel eyes upon me and I start. They don't know I'm here. I turn my head.

Jane looks frightened as she stares into the dark corner I hide in. She clasps her hands before her and glances over at Mary. I can almost hear her pleas sent silently through the air. I glance at Mary who swallows another glass and giggles as a guy grabs her butt. I return my gaze to Jane.

She can't see me, that much I know, but she stares right at me. She presses her back against the wall and stares. I stand to my feet. The crowd separates by my power. I move through them, touching two females in the process, which causes them to turn and fight with each other. Amidst the screams I stop to stand before Jane.

"Sweet little Jane. What are you doing here?" I ask but she continues to stare through me at the now empty corner. "You shouldn't be here, Jane. I'm here for Mary but not for you. Do you wonder, Jane, why God lets things like this happen?" I ask as I caress her cheek gently with my fire-blackened hand. She turns her head slightly, as though she felt my touch. I chuckle once more.

"I know you are here." She whispers. "You don't frighten me."

"I know. It's rather sad that I don't frighten the untouchables. With Him watching over you it's impossible for me to do anything more than kick you once in awhile." I smile but I know she doesn't see me...or hear me. "But most of you crumble beneath the meager kicks anyway and then you belong to me."

"I don't belong here." Jane murmurs and moves through the crowd toward Mary who has her tongue in a boy's mouth.

"No, Jane, you don't belong here. She does, though. She belongs to me. Do you realize how close you were coming to stealing her away? Your prayers had almost broken through. But then you did something odd and delightfully beneficial. You agreed to let her come to this party if you could come along. How sweet, sister."

Jane tries to get through the crowd to Mary but they refuse to separate, their bodies molding in exotic dance moves.

"So close..." I murmur as I move to stand beside Jane as she stares harshly through the crowd at her sister.

"Mary!" She calls out but the music is incredibly loud and her call is lost. Just as Mary is lost. I have control of her, I have her in my grasp and now, the alcohol poison is writhing inside her, choking her and killing her. Help won't get here soon enough to save dear sweet Mary. "Mary!"

I move past the crowd effortlessly, moving as the demonic spirit I am, filling their minds with thoughts of lust and envy, hate and greed. I reach Mary's side and I watch her act on her hungers and lusts.

"Oh, Lord Jesus, help me reach her. I'm so sorry I came. Help me save her." Jane's voice is heard only by me and Him and I reach out to take hold of Mary. Her flesh burns me and I pull my hand away angry.

"How dare you? She is mine! You will save her? You will redeem her? Look at her!" I scream as the pain radiates through my body and Mary breaks the embrace of lust and shivers. She meets Jane's gaze just as the poison surfaces. She retches and throws up alcohol on the plush carpeting.

"Man! My mom's gonna kill me!" Comes a voice from the crowd as I hiss and glare at Jane running toward her sister, cellphone pressed to her ear.

"2956 Elm Street. Hurry, please." She says as she kneels by Mary. Mary vomits again and again and I know she will die.

"She will die! You have no power here! She is mine! Mine!" I scream as I lunge for the crowd, seeking distraction and delay, confusion and anger.

"Lord Jesus, please help me. Save her, Lord. I'm sorry. Please let help reach us in time." Jane pleads and I laugh.

"That won't work, Janie! It's too late!" I call as Mary collapses to the floor, her eyes shut, her breathing labored. "Too late!"

A loud pounding is heard and the door is kicked open. Police flood into the room and men in white follow after. I watch, angry that they are so focused. Angry that there are four more of His people in the room and no stronghold for me to grasp. They work hard and fast on Mary as Jane continues to pray. I snarl and hiss, my hand burning.

"We've got her. A minute later and we would have lost her." Comes a deep voice beside Mary.

"You have lost her! It doesn't matter about today! She's mine!" I call though I know only one being hears me and He doesn't agree.



The crowd has left and Markus is scrubbing up the vomit. His mother is going to kill him, I'll see to that. But truly, I'm seeking something I lost, I'm seeking something I need. Do you have it?
© Copyright 2003 DragonWrites~The Fire Faerie~ (mystdancer50 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/633950-Truly