*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/644286-Harrys-Blood-Stained-Gloves
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Mystery · #644286
This is a mystery of an innocent man charged with a murder.
Days have gone by that John Rudoph had died with mysterious circumstances. John Rudolph was about average height, blue eyes,married and with two children. His inheritance came from his late father, John Rudolph, Sr. We only know Harry's gloves were found. John nor Harry knew each other. John was a well to do man. Harry was a construction worker. Harry DeVal a burly man, six foot tall, muscular, athletic, weight lifter.

The lake was where they found John Rudolph. Weeks ago, Harry was working close to the lake. A large condominium site. John was an investor of the condominiums. The only correlation but still very sure neither knew the other.

John had been a gambler leaving large monies owed to a bookie, named Thomas Finney. John owed in excess of $100,000.00. Thomas Finney was a small man. Murder wasn't his only crime. Money laundering, prostitution, pornography, the whole nine yards. Some of his, Thomas', co-horts were released prisoners. Steve Block was one such man. The things Finney had over Stever were the hits he done for him, muscling the others who owed money to Finney. Steve and Harry had gone to the same bar. Neither knew the other. Harry was playing pool. While at the billiard table, he left his stuff on the table.
His hardhat and gloves inside of the hat was on the table, behind the billiard table.

This was shaping up for a rouse, most deadly. Thomas had something over Steve. The only way to get out of it was to do this one favor for Thomas. Plan in motion, Steve took the gloves out of Harry's hat. Walked out of the bar un-noticed.

Later that week, Steve was to kill John Rudolph. In the interim, Steve was off work. Closely watching John. Getting his routine down to where it was second nature, almost. Steve saw what cars John drove so he'd know it was John when the time was right to get rid of him. Wearing Harry's gloves, he beat John to death and leaving the gloves behind, implicating Harry. What prompted John for being at the lake, was a call saying some prowlers were there ripping off the construction company. John was also in charge of the company. Leaving a part, black tie gala, John left there and was found at the lake and the condominium. What Steve had done was hid behind the condos and waited for John to get there. He came up behind John and grabbed him where the beating insued. Steve said to John:"Finney is out after your ass. You owe him over $100,000.00. He has sent me to collect or else." John retorted:"I don't owe any Finney any frigging money and certainly not any damn $100,000.00! What the hell are you talking about?" John, of course, knew he owed the bookie. He about to face death in the eyes. Steve was after him and was going to end him time on this earth. After the deed was done, Steve got back up with Finney. Steve told him:"Well that was the end of Rudolph. It was as you said. He denied owning the money." Finney responded:"Good job Steve, you are safe with me. Nothing will happen now and your debt to me is paid."

Back at the bar, Harry didn't give the gloves a second thought. Just took the hardhat and left. The next morning, John's body was found in the lake. Policeman Darryl Tupper investigated. Did a preliminary test on the gloves. Finding Harry's fingerprints inside and outside of the gloves. Harry was arrested and booked with first degree murder. Steve had put surgical gloves on before Harry's. After the murder, he put Harry's gloves next to the body. Burned the surgical gloves. No sign, no trace of Steve ever having been there or was there? The thing Steve forgot to do was cover the tire tracks or yet take a limb and get rid of the tire tracks.

Harry remained in jail without bail. It being a first degree murder charge there was no one to help him. Policeman Tupper's mind was convinced there was someone else who did this. Finney called Policeman Tupper. Ring, ring, the phone went. Officer Tupper was there and answering the phone heard this over the line: "I have on good authority from a non-interested party that you should check out Steve Block. He was seen at the construction sight I have near the lake. I heard that a John Rudolph was murdered." Policemen Tupper didn't respond to that but just listened as he the man, Finney, went on talking. Convincing the policeman even more, he followed up the anonymous phone call. Harry was about out of jail and was later released that day.


Here's what happened. Policeman Tupper went back to the scene. Found the tire tracks Steve left. His Ford truck was old. The tire were differently made than today's radials. Policeman Tupper made the mold of the tire tracks, at the scene. Compared them to Steve's truck parked close to the bar. Tires matched the mold. Steve already had a list of priors. He was arrested and questioned. Given a deal, Steve was charged with second-degree murder with a parole after eight years. Thomas Finney was arrested for multiple murders as were his accomplices. The gloves? They remained as evidence then were discarded after the trial.
© Copyright 2003 Silverindian (silverindian at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/644286-Harrys-Blood-Stained-Gloves