*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/651494-The-Legend-of-Darius
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Fantasy · #651494
The story of a man that won over a nation.
Shadows danced upon the wall as their bodies intertwined in an elaborate display of love. The hypnotic ritual had been taking place for the better part of an hour and to anyone that might have snuck a peek, it would have been easy to tell. The sheen of sweat coated their bodies. Their labored breathing was only broken by silent moans. The two were moving rhythmically with one another, methodically increasing the speed of friction with each passing moment. The woman let out a scream of pure pleasure as the man began to stiffen and jerk. The two let out a sigh of a different kind of relief as they collapsed into each others' arms.

They rolled apart and lay on the silk sheets of the king-sized bed for a moment, regaining their breath and relishing the explosion of pleasure they had just shared. Moonlight poured through the narrow window slits in the stone walls, providing the only light in the enormous room. The room itself was decorated in elaborate tapestries and exquisite paintings. The bed was carved out of one of the giant trees from the Ancient Forest and the carvings were of the finest quality. The room was fit for a queen, and it belonged to one who would one day be one.

The princess was the first to rise from the bed. Her firm, round breasts and hourglass figure seemed to glow in the pale moonlight. Her indigo hair reached to the middle of her back and her emerald green eyes seemed to sparkle even in the darkness. She was the most beautiful creature the man had ever seen. He stared at her as she slipped into her evening gown that she had been wearing when he had snuck up to her room. He knew he was risking his life but he didn't care. He had fallen madly in love with the Elf Princess of Morgalis and he would do anything to be with her.

They had met for the first time two summers ago in the Ancient Forest. He was only passing through when he stumbled across the small lake at the center of the woods where the princess had been relaxing in the clear cool water. Her naked body had enchanted him from that moment on and the more he got to know her the more he found himself drawn to her. It was forbidden for them to be together but they found ways to meet. Midnight rendezvous outside the gates of Morgalis Castle, secret meetings in the Ancient Woods, and the use of secret passageways for him to sneak into her room, were the most common methods they used. Tonight's meeting should have taken place outside the gates but she had not come. Risking being caught, he used the passages to sneak up to her room. Although she had wished for him to leave, as she was fearful of his discovery, her yearning for him would not allow him to go. And tonight they had finally made love. He wished he could marry her but he was a mere mortal human and aside from the fact that she was a princess and he was nothing more than a sword for hire, her father, King Morgalis, had a deep distrust of humans.

"Darius," the princess whispered. "Make haste. My father's guard will change soon. You must slip away while they are occupied."

"My sweet Rowean," Darius smiled. "Do not fret over such a thing. I have always escaped unseen. I wish to be with you, my love, for more than a moment's passing. We have been joined together, only now, by the bonds of love."

"Oh Darius," Rowean came to him and kissed him with passion that yearned for so much more. "I wish to spend eternity with you but I have such a premonition. My father has been suspicious of my wanderings as late. Tonight, and only tonight, I wish you to be away from me. If only for my sake. Please my love, ease my heart. Be off at the change of the guards."

"If it will ease my sweet princess than I shall do as she asks."

He kissed her gently on the forehead before climbing from the bed. He quickly dressed in his garb of a mithril shirt, which she had given him to protect him, and over that he wore light leather armor, which he wore to conceal the mithril. He scooped up his bastard sword and lashed it to his back. She had given him the blade and mithril shirt a fortnight ago and he had learned to yield the blade like it was one with his arm.

"Until our next meeting my love," Darius said as he blew her one last kiss.

She smiled through her worry and returned one to him as he opened the passage beneath her bed.

He was startled as guards charged up from the opening into the princess's room. Rowean placed herself between the guards and her love, who had drawn his sword in ready to fight for his life.

"Daughter," a deep voice echoed from the darkness of the stairwell. "What are you doing with this human?"

King Torman Morgalis emerged from the dark into the pale moonlight. He stared at Darius with pale blue eyes colder than ice.

"I can explain my lord," Rowean began.

"You know the law," her father snapped. "Elves do not mingle with humans. They are pathetic creatures that corrupt everything they touch."

Darius stayed quiet. He had known that this day would come. His love for her would be his doom but it was worth his life to have spent even one moment with her.

"Step aside Rowean," the King said. "Let us deal with this beast that has tainted you."

"No!" Rowean screamed. "You will not harm him."

"Rowean," Darius said softly. "Do not fight this. I am not worthy of you. And yet, I am now and forever tied to you by bonds that no one may break. I will always love you Rowean. Remember that. Remember me."

With lightening fast speed, Darius sprung past Rowean with his sword raised as if to strike at the King. As he had anticipated, several of the guards grabbed the king and dove to the side. The remaining two raised their weapons but Darius had no intention of engaging them in combat. He dove past them, through the still open passage and perilously ran down the stairs in the dark. He knew these passages better than anyone, with the exception of Rowean and her father. He navigated the endless dark as if he had the vision of a goblin, making several turns and running the several miles of long passages before coming to his destination.

He glanced up the long dark tunnel. He could see starlight through the opening at the top. It was his escape. The only way for him to live was to climb out and run away and never see his love again. He faltered, torn between not wanting to leave Rowean and his will to live. He took a deep breath and grabbed the rungs of the ladder. He began to climb, slowly at first but as he heard the sounds of distant footsteps closing in on him, his pace quickened.

He emerged in a field a good distance away from the walls of the castle and the town that surrounded it. A crystal clear river flowed nearby, masking any sounds he might have made as he replaced the cover that he had purposefully left off in case of such a needed escape. On the far side of the river was the Ancient Forest, where he had met his love for the first time. He knew that the king would have these passages guarded from now on and that he would have little or no chance of finding a way back to his beloved Rowean. Yet he would not give up hope. Even though he had made the choice to run, he did it knowing that he did not stand a chance against the guards in their armor and number and he wanted to live long enough to find a way to reach her once more. He would free her from her father or die trying.

He glanced around again, having the uncomfortable feeling of being watched. He crouched down in the tall grass and stared into the ominous woods, looming before him in the darkness. He saw the glint of refracted moonlight and new immediately what it was. The armor of knights was unmistakable to him. But these knights were different from the elvin knights he had just eluded. They wore armor more rugged and bulkier than the elves. And then he saw the banner waving in the breeze as they emerged from the trees further down river. It was an army from the land of Grazan.

It was well known that the King of Grazan, Rais Sulis, desired power and had been attacking several of the smaller kingdoms in his lust for total domination. His kingdom had become powerful and his rule feared. But no one would have ever thought he would march on Morgalis. They were too powerful. They were elves. Their magics, weapons, and armor surpassed all others found in the known world. And yet here was an army of men that Darius guessed to be nearly 7000 strong.

Then came the roar. He looked up in time to see a massive troll explode from the woods. It was followed by several more, along with ogres, goblins, and the dreaded snake men, the nazgul. The column was so long it seemed to have no end. By the gods! There most be over 20,000 of them! Knowing that daylight was still a long time away, an army of this might was sure to win the war with this one battle. He had never seen an army such as this one. Never before had humans fought alongside such evil, but then again, Sulis was no saint and most likely had made some kind of devilish deal with them.

Morgalis must be warned or they will be butchered like cattle. Darius ripped open the hatch again and jumped back down into the dark depths of the underground labyrinth. He knew it was suicide, but he had to try. If he didn't, Rowean would surely die and then his life would be meaningless anyway. He ran as fast as he could back through the passages, listening for any sign of the guards that had chased him. His only worry was that King Morgalis would have him killed before he could tell him what was happening.

He reached the base of the stairs that led to his beloved's chamber and stopped there. He took a deep breath to calm his nerves and began the climb up to his death. He reached the top and was surprised to find that the secret door was still open. His instincts told him to draw his sword but he did not want to provoke any guards. He crept up out of the tunnel and startled two guards that were standing by the door. They immediately drew their swords but did not attack.

"Halt!" one of them commanded.

Darius dropped to his knees as he slowly reached for his sword and set it on the ground. "I mean no harm. I must speak with the King immediately."

"Silence filthy human. You will see the King, and he will see your head roll."

With that the two guards approached him with swords lowered on him. They commanded him to his feet and one took his sword. They proceeded to guide him through the castle, to the throne room, where King Morgalis sat upon his massive gold throne. Standing beside him was Rowean. By the look of things they had been talking ever since he had left and it was obvious she had been crying. Darius wanted nothing more than to run to her. To hold her and tell her everything would be all right. But he kept his mouth sealed and followed the direction of the guards.

Darius dropped to his knees before the guards had a chance to knock him down. He kept his gaze to the floor in submission.

"My lord," one of the guards spoke up. "He came back to the princess's chambers where we captured him. We are sure he meant to steal her away."

The King regarded Darius for a moment before asking, "Is what they say true, Darius? Did you come back to steal my daughter from me?"

"No my liege. I came back to warn you that King Sulis has an army not more than six miles east of here, marching to attack."

A murmur went through the throne room. Morgalis didn't seem effected by the news. "Why should I worry? I know of this army. My scouts have told me that it is of 7000 men. I am prepared to deal with those pathetic humans. I will crush them without worry."

"Your scouts are wrong my Lord," Darius said as he raised his eyes to look upon the King. "I have just seen them and they are more than 20,000 strong with ogres, trolls, goblins, and even Nazgul."

At this the King rose. "Is this true?" he seemed to be asking anyone in the room.

"Yes my lord," Darius said. "I would not have come back if it were not. I would not see this land, you, or your daughter butchered without warning."

King Morgalis stared long and hard into Darius's dark brown eyes. He seemed to be peering right into Darius's soul.

"Captain," the King said without breaking his gaze.

"Sire," a tall elvin knight in decorated armor stepped forward from behind the throne.

"Assemble all our forces. Sound the alarm and have my people gather within the castle walls. We must prepare for war."

The knight saluted and took off at a hastened pace. The King gestured to the two guards, "Give him his sword and join our forces."

"My lord?"

"Do as I say."

"Yes sire," they handed Darius his sword, bowed and ran from the throne room.

"Fetch my armor and sword," the King commanded and several servants ran to do his bidding.

Darius, still kneeling, glanced at the sword in his hand. He couldn't understand why the King had allowed him to live and given him his sword back.

"Darius," the King said.

"Yes my liege."

"Although I may not like it, you have proven yourself a true man," the King said as his servants brought his armor and began to dress him in it. "It is not often that I find a human with such a good heart. I can clearly see that you love my daughter, enough to put your own life at risk in order to save hers. And she loves you, despite my wishes. I know I cannot dictate whom she will love, only marry. But I have always wished for her to be happy. So I have something to ask of you."

"Anything my lord."

"My daughter tells me you are quite the swordsman."

"I am nothing to speak of my lord."
"My daughter is a very good judge of swordsmanship, as well as a great many other things. What I ask of you is this," Morgalis paused for a moment. "Protect my Rowean," the words seemed to hang in the air as both Darius and Rowean gazed at him in wonder.

"If I can't keep you apart except with death, then I will support your union. Keep her safe through this battle and you will have my blessing. Although it pains me for her to love one that will grow old and die, I can see you have a gentle soul and will take care of her until such time." Morgalis turned toward Rowean, "At which point, maybe I can convince her to start looking at other elves."

Rowean kissed the King, "Oh thank you father."

She turned and ran to Darius and leapt into his arms. Darius wasn't sure but he thought he saw the King smile at the sight of her daughter's happiness.

"You have my word, my solemn promise," Darius said as he held Rowean tightly. "No harm will come to her as long as I draw breath."

"I will hold you to that vow," the King said as he took his sword from a servant. "And now Darius, take a knee."

Rowean stepped back as Darius went to one knee.

"I, King Torman Margalis, do here decree, that from this day forth, Darius will be one of my knights, and protector of the princess. Now bound to me and my daughter for all of his mortal life," Margalis tapped Darius on the shoulder with his sword. "Rise sir Darius and protect my daughter."

Darius stood, bowed to the King, and took Rowean's hand and ran from the room. They made their way back to Rowean's room where they would be well guarded in the tower and have the secret passages for escape if necessary. They could hear shouting outside as they ran down a long corridor and knew that the battle had begun.

Rowean stopped short of the door to her room, as if listening for something. Darius looked at her perplexed and when he went to say something she put a finger to her lips for him to stay quiet. He knew then that she felt danger and he drew his sword, ready for anything. Then he heard it as well. The high screeching voices of goblins coming through the dark of the passageways.

They found the passages! Darius began to back away from the door when a goblin came running out of the room. Darius wasted no time as he swung his sword and severed the ugly head from its shoulders, before it even knew he was there. The two turned and ran knowing there would soon be hundreds more. They ran through twisting corridors and down spiral staircases, locking whatever doors they could behind them. They ran out into the open courtyard of the castle where the townsfolk had gathered and the capable ones of them were being armed for battle.
The screams of death and the clang of weapons echoed from beyond the walls. Darius glanced around for a safe place for them to hide but could see none. A loud crash caused him to spin around as the enormous front gate came crashing down and a troll roared into the courtyard. The elvish townsfolk began to chant rather than run. A wall of fire appeared before the troll, keeping it at bay, while others with bows began to launch arrows into the beast.

Darius was amazed by the people's strength as they pushed the onslaught back using the fire and arrows. Rowean was also chanting along with the others. Then the goblins broke into the courtyard and some of the elves had to break off chanting to go and fight. Darius stood his ground by Rowean and slaughtered any goblins that came near them. He knew goblins were not good fighters, they just overwhelmed with numbers and they did not appear to have a large enough amount to overwhelm these elves.

Behind the goblins, however, came humans. The elves tried to hold them off but they were too much and the chanting was broken as the rest of the elves had to pick up their weapons and battle. Rowean took up a bow and began to fire arrow after arrow, as Darius continued to cut down all that came too close.

Suddenly, the tide began to change, as elvin knights seemed to appear from no where and surround the enemy. The fighting grew more fierce as ogres, nazgul, and more humans came pouring through the broken gates.

Darius took Rowean by the arm and the two fell back to the rear gatehouse, which opened to the river. It had not been attacked, as the only way to access it was from the river and Darius thought that if things grew too fierce it was their best chance for escape. They made their way toward it, with Darius hacking and slashing, and Rowean using arrows and magic, to clear their path.

Darius glimpsed the banner of Grazan as the tyrannical King Sulis arrogantly rode his horse into the courtyard. Arrows immediately took down the horse and Darius watched as the armored giant of a man methodically slashed and hacked his way through the crowd. He can't be human, Darius thought as he watched Sulis butcher all in his path.

He stood a full head and shoulders above the elves which made him easy to spot. His incredible strength was easily evident by the giant two-handed sword he swung. He seemed to mock the elves as he did nothing to conceal himself from the rain of arrows that bounced off his thick armor. Darius almost ran to engage him, knowing to take down the king would scatter the troops, especially the non-humans, who would have no deal to claim, if Sulis were dead. But he stayed by Rowean, remembering his promise and not wanting to chance losing his love.

King Morgalis suddenly emerged with his band of elite guards from the central tower. The elves cheered at the sight of him, and to Darius's disbelief, seemed to fight even harder than before. Morgalis charged right into the heat of the battle and made his way toward Sulis.

The clash of destiny rang throughout the courtyard as the two kings' swords sang a deadly song. Rowean saw her father and began to fight her way back toward him. Darius tried to stop her but she would not run, not while her father still fought. Darius, realizing he could not stop her, ran beside her as they fought their way back into the thick of the battle.

Just as they were in reach of the King, Morgalis took a glancing blow from a nazgul and Sulis took advantage. He knocked the sword free of the King's hand and went to strike the deathblow when Darius sprung into action. He deflected the death stroke and Morgalis was able to roll out of the way. Rowean reached her injured father and knelt protectively over him. Using her magic to keep them both from harm.

Sulis seemed surprised by Darius. He regarded him for a moment, "You are not an elf!"

"And you are not a king!" Darius shouted back.

Sulis roared with anger and came at Darius. He dodged or blocked the attacks and tried to deliver his own blows, that Sulis easily brushed aside. Just as the battle around them, they raged on more fiercely with every passing moment. The two were locked in the deadliest of games, and the winner would take all.

Parry, thrust, dodge, swing. That was the way of the dance until Darius raised his sword to strike and Sulis swung upward into Darius's gullet. The blow lifted Darius off the ground and sent him crashing to the ground a few feet away.

"No!" Rowean screamed as her love lay motionless on the ground.

Sulis laughed as he made his way toward Darius, "Is that the best that Morgalis has to offer? Is there no challenge for me here?"

He raised his sword in triumph to claim Darius's head as prize. He swung the heavy sword downward and to his shock, Darius rolled to his feet and before Sulis could recover, Dariuis swung his sword in a downward arch taking Sulis's head from his body instead.

"Be gone beast," Darius mumbled as he collapsed to the ground.

The battle began to wane as the victor was clear. The elves had won as the non-humans realized that Sulis was dead. His own troops began to retreat in a panic and the non-humans themselves, turned on them to inflict their anger. As the last of the invaders were chased from the city by the elvin warriors, the townsfolk began to take count of the cost.

In the courtyard, a different kind of loss was being tallied. The piles of bodies that were being dragged to the river was an enormous task. Scrubbing of blood off the stone walls and fixing the massive gate were just a few of the tasks at hand for the many workers that were intent on rebuilding the castle to its previous glory. This would be the closest Morgalis Castle would ever come to falling.

In the throne room, many wounded were being tended to. The King was in his own room resting peacefully, knowing that his kingdom was saved and his daughter was in good hands. In the princess's chambers a man lay naked on the bed, waiting for the love of his life to come to him. She hung the mithril shirt that had saved her love's life over her bed before climbing into it. They made love as the sun rose in the east and the dawn of a new era was born.

This day would be remembered not for the horrific battle, but for the man that united elf and human forever more. The man that loved so purely and fought so true that he brought down an empire and won the hearts of an entire race. And one of that race, he would soon marry. And their rule together would be more peaceful than any other of that age.
© Copyright 2003 Casper is broken (darman at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/651494-The-Legend-of-Darius