*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/699365-Thoughts-on-Being-Thin
by Amy
Rated: 13+ · Article · Opinion · #699365
So, you think you'd like to be skinny? Just take a walk in my shoes.
         Have you ever walked up to an extremely overweight person and asked, "Excuse me. I was just wondering. Do you have a thyroid problem? Have you ever considered dieting?" No? You would never dare. Am I right? You might embarrass that unfortunate person. At the very least, questions like those would most certainly hurt their feelings. If this is the case, as I suspect it is, then why, may I ask, would you ask someone who might be a little underweight if they are anorexic or if they skip off to the bathroom after dinner to dispose of their evening meal? Maybe it's a sibling or the guy behind the counter at the video store. It might be the girl who runs the local tanning salon or maybe even the other secretary who shares your office. You know, the girl you not-so secretly despise because she snacks all day and never gains a pound. You, however, only have to look at what she's consumed and can feel your hips expanding at least three inches.

         Did you know that this particular girl has gone to the local nutrition center and purchased a not-so-cheap drink mix loaded with calories? This same drink mix is used all over the country by weight trainers who want to bulk up. Every night before she goes to bed, she blends this chalky concoction in a milkshake and tries desperately to drink all of it without becoming violently ill. Never mind that the directions say to mix it with just two cups of milk. The only outcome from this recipe is a running trip to the bathroom. The chalkiness of the milk mixture makes her gag until she is throwing up uncontrollably. Has it worked for her? She is just as skinny as she was when the two of you first met. You still say to her, "Don't turn sideways. I won't be able to see you."

         Have you overheard her talking to her mother on the phone recently? Have you noticed the distress in her voice as she is trying to convince "Mom" that in no way is she responsible for her daughter's inability to gain weight? If you listened close enough, you'd discover that this girl's mother is extremely obese. She is positive that, when her daughter looks at her, she is so disgusted that she starves herself to keep from showing any family resemblance. Of course, this is not even close to the truth.

         She wears the same outfits repeatedly and they are beginning to look a little worn. Why don't you suggest a shopping trip? You may be able to join in as the sales lady laughs at her because the smallest size they carry is 5/6 but, they may have something in the children's section to fit this 34 year old adult woman. What will you say to her when she tries on a child's size 11/12 that is obviously too small or a size 13/14 that looks as if it may fall off her? If she is fortunate enough to find something for juveniles that fits her, will you be honest and tell her she should wear her hair in pigtails if she dons that particular ensemble? As you're walking out of the store with her and she's still fighting back tears because of the treatment she received from the sales lady, why don't you suggest she try one of those "petite" shops? You can have another good laugh when every pair of pants she tries on looks like Capris. When you go home that evening and set out one of your many assortment of business suits, you can have another chuckle as you think back on the events of the day. Meanwhile, she'll be at home trying to piece together something that has not been worn this week, as she's trying to force another one of those milkshakes down her throat. As you drift off into a peaceful sleep, she's tossing and turning from the weight of those calories in her stomach.

         How about when you get the afternoon thunderstorm the following day? The rain coming down like Niagara Falls accompanied by thunder, lightning, and the wind that seems as though it's trying desperately to blow through the tightly sealed windows. You look over at your co-worker as you're getting ready to call it a day. You notice again that she probably weighs about 100 pounds soaking wet. Actually, she weighs 102 pounds and that's without water. Are you going to end the day with the same tired comment? "You better tie yourself down. The wind's gonna' blow you away!" Just be thankful that she is kind enough not to come back with her own retort, "Thanks but, I already thought of that. I'll just anchor myself to your lard ass!" Lucky for you, she's more considerate of other people's feelings and keeps that thought to herself.

© Copyright 2003 Amy (allkarma at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/699365-Thoughts-on-Being-Thin