*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/707745-Escape
by Echo
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Emotional · #707745
A short story telling of a slave girl's attempted escape from her master.
The farmhouse loomed over endless plains, sinister against a midnight sky. Wheat chattered and fidgeted as a playful breeze swept past and teased the wooden chimes hanging from a rickety porch.
Clouds shifted and stark moonlight bore down, revealing a small shadow, skulking from tree to distorted tree.
Thandi sank down, welcoming the sturdiness of her rough-barked shelter, and surveyed her route of escape. She gazed at her whip-stricken hands, trying to block out the racket of drums pumping hot blood into her head.
Third time had to be lucky. Twice she had tried to leave, and twice…- Thandi shuddered – beatings, whippings, starvation. Pain bubbling her into a state of delirium, sticky scarlet blinding her, throbbing out of her, weakening her cries until there was nothing. Oh, she was mad to persist, it was far easier to stay and serve, but there was a level of urgency pushing her onwards. She could feel it in the cold morning air, hear it in the last mournful call of the rooster – her mother was dying.

Subtle light of a deadly flame glowed in an upstairs window. The girl’s heart seized.
“Rosie!” her detestable European name echoed through the household. Thandi cursed silently – a pause too long could cost her freedom. Now was the time to move or suffer another blow. She sprinted to the safety of a further tree, kicking up clouds of billowing dust as she moved.

Raised voices argued in foreign Boer tongue as doors slammed and a search was prepared. Quick! Quick! The farm gate was nearby. Once she left the grounds, it was thick veld for miles – a perfect refuge. A few more slight dashes and she could be unshackled! Shivering with anticipation, Thandi stumbled to her next cover, dry ground betraying her with a sandy mist.

Alarmed, the farm dog bellowed. Conversation faltered.

Panic flooded through the girl as crude silence awaited her fate. Salty drops fell from her forehead despite her quivering hands, as she prayed that the farmers would not detect her whereabouts.
“There!” a triumphant yell punctured the stillness. Restless babble abounded.

Thandi inhaled a shallow gasp of icy air. Her only hope now was to outrun them. The gate wasn’t far now. If she pumped her legs a little harder, maybe she could make it. She set off again, urging her twiggy legs to work faster.

Horses moaned as they prepared to pursue, galloping hoofs pounding violently on the ground, gaining with every thunderous stride.

The girl shuddered, her step faltering, before terror overran her. Like a mortal nightmare, her feet were clumsy with fear, slowing her. Muscles screeched her to a giddy limp as tears and reckless sobs choked her.

Crashing canters shook the trees. They grew louder and heavier. Thandi’s surroundings trembled a warning, but her steps seemed feeble against the mighty strides of her pursuers. Breathless, but desperate, she pressed on, ignoring the ominous jingle of metal stirrups, an odour of sweat and animal stench, the foul breath of rancid creatures.
She dared to glance back. A dust-cloud shielded the followers.

The girl forced her head in front, dizziness creeping over her. Pace wavered once more, as a hidden rock revealed itself, flinging Thandi to the ground. Sandy particles ripped her open, burying themselves in her skin, blood painting the dust below.

The horses paused and men dismounted. The master of the house scoffed, kicking dirt at his measly slave.
“Bloody niggers!” he spat “Had about enough of you.”
The girl coiled on the ground, daring not to move as the farmer turned his shotgun around and placed it at his young slave’s temple.

The fatal roar sent birds scattering in horror, fleeing to the safety of a blood-red dawn.

© Copyright 2003 Echo (jazziedreamz at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/707745-Escape