*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/786191-After-Death
Rated: E · Short Story · Comedy · #786191
What happens when we die? for a contest. Flash fiction
“Dude, you’re dead now. Quit looking at your body and come with me. Hurry!”

My head snapped up. At least, my head would have snapped up if I still had one. I was just a shimmering gray form, like the one moving towards me.

“What? Who are you?” I asked. It moved between me and my body and started slowly backing me up.

“It doesn’t matter Dude, I have to escort you to the Dredgery. You don’t have much time. Your turn-around is short this time.”

I stopped and he slid right through me. “Dredgery? What is that?” I’d never heard that mentioned in Sunday school!

I sensed some agitation from my escort as he tried to get me moving again. “It’s where you’re purged of the memories of this life so you can be reborn unrestricted into the next one. OK? Can we go now?”

I drifted along with him. Reborn? That’s something I never considered. The concept was strangely comforting I thought as we arrived. He stood to one side of an opalescent archway and motioned me forward. I stepped through…

… And opened my eyes to the ugliest doctor I’d ever seen in my 2 minute long life!
© Copyright 2003 Karen Bristow (khalvor at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/786191-After-Death