*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/826850-My-best-friends-love-affair
by Hagar
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Young Adult · #826850
This story is about the slowly dying friendship due to an unexpected love affair.
We had a blast . Me and my best friend Anna Sorveiski. It was just a great time being in high school, something of a ride in a lifetime. Making jokes, playing jokes, and acting smooth as if we had nothing to do with it. Like the Huckleberry Finn we had to read. Tom Sawyer and Huck. What a blast. Going home after school and climbing apple trees, and picking them, just like we were twelve. It WAS an adventure.
A whole lot of my views changed as I called her up one night. I joked around a little and told her some jokes I scoured the internet for. She seemed to laugh at my jokes or what seemed like it, but then I hear choking and sobbings that she didn't really do a good job at concealing.
I started to frown a little. And in a little while I asked her a question I wished I hadn't asked. "What's the matter?"
Anna on the other side of the line laughed a little. Then she murmured something to herself as if she trying to make up her mind. When she did , she started talking to me. "I thought, you are my best friend, and concealing this from you wouldn't be really....umm... honest."
I interupted before she could finish her thoughts. "Hide what Anna? You hide Whaaaaaa?"
"You're my best friend right?" She repeated.
I was thinking she really is not serious and she is just being a little kooky at this hour.
"Well...it's just me and Mr. Scott. We had a talk."
"Okay maybe a chem-talk. How boring is that? You talk to a teacher about chemistry? So did you finally ask him to give up on giving us those pop quizzes?"
"Umm no.Well, me and him, you know we just sorta kinda talked one day."
"Okay."
" And ,well I liked the way he talks and well he likes what I'm saying and...."
At this moment I got totally confused. Then something popped up in my mind. "Teacher's pet, teacher's pet", I chanted.
In a surge of outburst, I hear her exhilarations through the phone line. "Finally I have a friend to share this with. I'm not going to be alone in this anymore Cass.I love him with all my heart, it's just the deepening feeling I'm getting for him. He's just gentle, at the same time he has this fire ya know and I'm his oxygen you know; I feed his fire, he told me.He'll burn out if he doesn't have oxygen. Cass, of all my life,I have never felt so beautiful,so wanted.He's pulling me in bad. Whadda you think?"
"Oh,just wonderful ,Anna,great!" I responded, but deep inside I began to surge with this feeling of intense anger and this deep dismay. For some reason I don't know why. It's just for one thing I don't really like Mr. Scott. Last year I was late for class and he began to make inappropriate jokes about me personally and turning me into a laughingstock, at the same time pretending to sympathize for me, as if he had nothing to do with anything. All in all Mr. Scott just doesn't know when to stop.
As my brain was wandering off, Anna's voice is trying to search for me. "Will you be there for me?"
I was somewhat silent, but I heard her repeat it. "Will you..?"
Then I found the voice inside to answer her, for not answering her could possibly ruin our relationship, because I feel this fortress of freindship beteen us would crack like glass when it shatters upon hitting the ground. "Yes I will always be there for you, Anna, always."
"I'm glad to hear that,but I really do hope, do pray to God that you understand." She sniffed out a little more with relief. "I knew you'll be there. You are my friend. Well, I'm gettin tired. Want to say something 'fore I retire?" She laughs.
"Ahh, no. Nuttin, just called to check on ya and things. Seems like you are doing well."

That night I couldn't sleep .I was thinking about it all night. The more I think about it, the more I get stressed out. This is just bizarre. Oh man. What has she done?
The next day I talked to her as usual but did more watching than communicating. When Mr. Scott passed by my desk, my fingers startd to tremble.My reaction didn't escape his queer eye,so he glared at me and said "Focus,Cassie" and let out a fake chuckle.Nevertheless I downplayed my agitation and maintained myself . As soon as school was over, I decided to stay after to check on things, since I know Anna more than anything.I hanged around a thick tree near the student's parking lot to see what she would be up to. At the corner of my eye, I saw her talking and laughing with a crimson blush on her face, and Mr. Scott looking down upon her.I winced but nevertheless I followed them with my eyes. At one point, Mr. Scott looked around ,to make sure nobody was around or looking; after the reassurance of privacy, he turned towards Anna and seemed to me to be shutting the whole world completely. Anna is his only focus, and the whole world does not matter . Evidently he made a comment or two , and she started to crack with loud outbursts of laughter. Again Mr. Scott turned around to see if anybody was watching and I can see that he was also smiling. She continued to laugh and when she met his eyes, I can tell that Mr. Scott must be using his fiery tactic of seducing her, because she fell silent, melting before him, before ME.Then slowly she suddenly turned from a high school student to a person with a passion so contagious it can felt from what seemed to me miles away,and slowly his head worked its way towards her face. As they got close to kissing , these tears started to swell up behind my eyes. Thier faces became so close I just had to turn around and close my eyes so I can't see the rest.It was sickening.
© Copyright 2004 Hagar (huyen at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/826850-My-best-friends-love-affair