*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/827426-Making-a-Move
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Comedy · #827426
A sudden decision has unexpected results.
MAKING A MOVE


“Going up sir?” said the bellboy as Richard stepped into the lift.

“Why not?” replied Richard, a little inebriated from the bottle of wine he’d consumed with his meal for one. Richard’s room was on the ground floor of the hotel but tonight he didn’t relish the prospect of returning to his empty, isolated vacuum.

“Not seen you before,” Richard added as the lift glided towards the next floor.

“I’m new,” replied the bellboy. “Only started today. Which floor would you like?”

“I’ll let you choose.” Richard was feeling adventurous, rebellious and bored out of his skull with his drab existence. “Been staying here almost a year now since my wife left me. Never seen any of this place apart from my room and the restaurant on the third floor.”

The bellboy looked at Richard with a mixture of pity and mild amusement.
“Here we are then sir, the top floor. Enjoy.” Richard, left stranded, felt a little foolish and unsure what to do next.

“Hello there.” Richard turned to face a pretty brunette. “Right on time. I like a man who’s punctual.” A confused Richard gave her a tipsy smile but said nothing.
“Come along then, everything’s ready.” She took his hand and led him along one of the many corridors. “I hope you didn’t mind arranging to meet at the lift. You have to be careful who you give your address to these days. I know the agency vet everyone but I’m still cautious. You look a decent type though, I must say.”

Richard tagged along like a puppy on a leash, his brain attempting to make sense of the situation; his curiosity and the attractive stranger rendering him temporarily speechless.

“Here we are then, this is my room,” she chirped as she unlocked the door, releasing a rich, spicy aroma.

“I hope you like Indian food, the agency said you were well travelled and broad minded.”

Richard had eaten very little in the restaurant earlier; merely played disinterestedly with his food. His appetite seemed to have returned suddenly and he was not about to refuse dinner with a stunning woman, whoever she was. He’d worry about an explanation later.

“Anyway, my real name is Sophie. I only used Bridget as a pseudonym when I registered with the agency. It doesn’t do to let any Tom, Dick or Harry know all your personal details until you’ve clocked them. I assume you do the same Theo. So, what’s your real name?”

“Richard.” That much he could cope with. “Or Dick if you prefer. Middle names Tom and Harry,” he added on a whim.

“Oh, I love a man with a sense of humour. Come and sit down.” Sophie handed him a glass of wine as she settled herself next to him on the luxury settee. “They’ve certainly come up trumps this time. You’re just what I asked for; tall, dark, well dressed and funny too. I hope you don’t mind me being so forward, but I’ve been using the dating agency for a long while now and you’re the first one I’ve fancied. I think we could get along well, don’t you? So, tell me all about yourself.”

Richard talked about his work, his interests, his broken marriage but omitted mentioning he’d lived in the building for twelve months and had never used a dating agency in his life. Ignorance is bliss and what she didn’t know couldn’t hurt her. If Sophie was content to entertain him as her blind date then he was perfectly happy to oblige. Anyway, she really was quite something and they were getting along famously.

Very late, after a long lingering kiss at her door, Richard said goodnight. “I’m really pleased this time.” Sophie smiled up at him. “The agency's fixed me up with some geeks in the past but you’ve been worth the wait. Can we meet again?”

“Sure,” agreed Richard. “I’ll pick you up tomorrow at seven. My treat this time; I’ll take you to a great restaurant I know.” Richard waited until her door closed then staggered unsteadily to the elevator.

“Going down sir?” said the bellboy as Richard stepped into the lift.

“I might be tomorrow with a bit of luck.” Richard winked, feeling more optimistic than he had in a long time.


© Copyright 2004 Scarlett (scarlett_o_h at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/827426-Making-a-Move