*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/841501-Mystery-Draft-not-finished
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Short Story · Children's · #841501
A humorous mystery about the missing Dooby statue from Readalot Central School.
******Draft********

It started out to be a normal Monday morning at Readalot Central School. The teachers were arriving in their classrooms getting ready for the new week. Students were arriving on the buses or being dropped off by their parents. The halls were bustling with the sounds of students at their lockers putting their coats and backpacks away. Everyone was unaware of the events that had occurred in the library that weekend.
At the end of the previous school year, the sixth grade class was honored by the Town of Readmore for coming in first place in the County Reading Contest. This contest was countywide to see which sixth grade class could read the most books. The students of Readalot Central School read almost 700 books during the 2002-2003 school year. For their prize the students each got to choose a book of their choice and the school library was given a life-size statue of Dooby. Dooby is a house-elf from the Harry Potter series.
The students were very excited about winning the reading contest. It was quite an honor for the students of Readmore Central School. The statue was put on display in the junior high library for all to see. One teacher especially admired the statue, Mrs. Readbooks, the junior high reading specialist. She was a huge fan of the Harry Potter books and movies. She collected the Harry Potter trading cards, had hardbound copies of all of the books and purchased all of the movies that were released. She counted down the days until the newest book or movie would be out. To say she liked Harry Potter was an understatement. She was a Harry Potter crazy.
Mrs. Readbooks wanted the statue of Dooby for her classroom. She asked the librarian several times what they were going to do with the statue. She even offered to buy it, if that is what they decided to do with it. Patience is not something that she had a lot of.
When the librarian noticed that the display case that was used to present the statue was empty, she immediately called for the school’s principal, Mr. B. Haven. Mr. B. Haven told the librarian to not touch anything and to close the library until they had time to look over the crime scene.
When Mr. B. Haven arrived at the library, there was quite a crowd milling around the hallway. They had heard about the statue being stolen and wanted to check things out. A quiet, calm came over the students as Mr. B. Haven worked his way through the sea of students. He told them to all go to their 1st Period classes and to not worry about anything. He would find the statue and hunt down the culprit.
At the edge of the crowd of students, leaning against the fire extinguisher, was Herman Peter Fanatica. Everyone called him H.P. He seemed very interested in what was happening in the library. It was like he was trying to hide behind the fire extinguisher so he would not be seen. The crowd slowly dispersed as the students headed for their classrooms. Mr. B. Haven noticed H.P. standing there and told him to move on.
Seeing H.P. standing there, reminded Mr. B. Haven of a time last year when H.P. was sent down to his office. H.P. was arguing with another student about the latest Harry Potter book, The Goblet of Fire. The other student was saying that Harry Potter books were stupid and boring to read. He said that only losers would read them or watch the movies. H.P. got very angry with the boy because he really enjoyed reading the books and watching the movies. He collected Harry Potter memorabilia of all kinds; trading cards, figurines, Leggo sets, replica wands and capes. If it has anything to do with Harry Potter, H.P. had it. He was so mad at the boy that he hit him square in the nose. The boy was sent to the nurse and H.P. was sent to the principal’s office.
The principal unlocked the library door. There were not any signs of the door being forced open. Either someone had a key or the thief got into the library a different way. How could someone get into the library? When did it happen? The librarian closed up the library at 4:00pm on Friday. The thief could have broke in any time from 4:00pm Friday until 7:30am this morning.
The librarian took Mr. B. Haven to the display case where the statue was located. As they walked closer, you could hear cracking and crunching from underneath their feet. Tiny pieces of glass where spread five feet from the display case. The plate glass door of the display case was shattered. A wooden chair lay under the display case. The thief might have used it to break into the display case. Mr. B. Haven took a closer look at the display case. There were large pieces of glass lying throughout the enclosure. A few glass shards were still attached to the metal part of the sliding door. The shards looked like they were as sharp as knives. One particular shard caught Mr. B. Haven’s attention. The tip of it looked a different color. He examined it closely and found a red substance dried onto the point. Could it be the thief’s blood? He looked around some more and found a few drops of red on the floor and on the wall below the display case. Mr. B. Haven thought to himself that the thief must have been cut on the broken glass. It didn’t seem to be a big cut. There wasn’t a lot of blood. There was just enough blood to see that the culprit was scraped enough to draw blood. Maybe if I find someone with a “fresh” wound, I may find the person that stole the statue.
Mr. B. Haven looked around the rest of the library to see if there was anything out of the ordinary. He saw a faint trail of drops of blood on the carpet. The trail led to the windows at opposite side of the library. He checked to see if any of the windows were open but they were all securely locked. He opened each window to see if the blood trail continued through the windows. He didn’t find any blood but he did notice that the middle window’s screen wasn’t fitting right and was bent outward. He thought to himself that this might be how the thief got in. But how? The window was in the locked position.
The bell rang to signal the students to change to their 2nd period classes. By now the whole student body knew that there had been a break-in over the weekend. Their conversations were about what happened, who would have done it and why. The rumors were spreading like wild fire.
Mr. B. Haven locked the library door as he left to go to his office. He needed to report the break-in to the local authorities. As he walked into his office, he noticed an envelope on the floor. The envelope was addressed to him. He opened it to find a letter.

Dear mister B. haven

I know who stol the statue. It
might be a good idea to ask some of the
teachers. Their is one teacher that
wanted the statue realy bad. May be bad
enuff to steal it.

Signed,
anonomouse


*****More to follow******
© Copyright 2004 trafick (trafick at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/841501-Mystery-Draft-not-finished