*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/843875-In-the-Buff-Chapter-2
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · Crime/Gangster · #843875
A man with a unique talent....Chapter 2
Chase never had a track record for being on time, I reminded myself.

The afternoon was growing old, but I continued to sit on the park bench, waiting for signs of her arrival. This was where we had first met, a couple months ago. This was also the only place we would ever meet.

Thinking that I should contact her, I scrolled down the pre-programmed phone numbers list on my cell phone – only to find her name absent from it.

Perhaps I’ve forgotten her number, I thought. Then realized, Did she ever give it to me?

I dialed for an operator and was greeted by a soft, female voice moments later.

“Operator, how may I direct your call?” said the voice.

“Yes ma’am, may I have the number for Chase Roberts?” I asked.

There was a long pause before the voice answered, “I’m sorry sir, there is no one listed by that name.”

I thanked the operator and ended the session. Concluding that it was an error on her part, I didn’t have much time to dwell on the thought before I observed Chase just a few feet away, wearing an inquisitive face.

“Hi, Alec. Who were you speaking to just now?” she asked.

“Oh that? That was umm...” I hesitated briefly. “That was my boss from the software firm.”

I never told her my real occupation. The last thing she deserved was to be dragged into my world, but could I keep it hidden forever? Proud as I was of my abilities, it was still a little awkward having to tell someone else.

After she sat down, it was a few minutes before either of us would speak again. Sometimes I wondered if she could see through my lie.

“Chase, what exactly do you do for a living?” I asked.

“Me? I work in logistics for a security company.” she said, her eyes focused elsewhere.

Any person observing us would wonder why we were a couple. Most of our meetings played out like this – stagnant conversations and diverted attentions. Somehow, though, I think we both felt there was something we shared. Even if I didn’t know what that something was.

After about half an hour of fragmented discussions that lead to nothing, Chase glanced at her watch, and then shot up quickly. She began walking away at a fast pace.

“Sorry Alec, I need to get going, we’ll meet here again tomorrow!”

“Wait! Are we still up for dinner on Saturday?” I stood up and cried in vain.

When she was out of view, I sighed and slumped back down on the bench. Noticing the time on my own watch, I decided to head home to get ready for tonight’s job. Forty degree weather was not something I looked forward to, but it was my job – my life.

I took out the slip of paper Vincent gave me back at the coffee shop to read the address again. Turning it around, I found that he had written more on the back. It read:

Maury will be watching you by telescope a few rooftops away, just to make sure you perform this job in your usual...fashion. When the hit has gone down, report back to me immediately. Don’t take too long and keep me waiting – you know I hate that.
© Copyright 2004 SonicV4 (sonicv4 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/843875-In-the-Buff-Chapter-2