*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/847331-V-A
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Horror/Scary · #847331
What ya gonna do when you gotta have blood and ya gotta have it now?
Long, immaculate, polished nails drummed the desk waiting for the phone to ring. Since accepting the job, Angela had been bored, bored, bored. She hadn't helped anyone, and she was beginning to lose her natural optimism. Apparently, the general public was not interested in the VA's important work. There didn't seem much point in sitting in an office waiting to help people who never called, but she needed the money so she stayed. Thankfully, her four-hour shift was nearly over. Glancing at the clock, she toyed with the idea of leaving early. She longed to be gone and in the streets for the night parade. So many people, with their lovely throats and precious blood, not that she imbibed anymore. No, she stuck to nasty synthetic nutrients these days, but it was just so much fun to walk among them and share their frenetic lives if only for a short time.

She’d just risen from her chair, having convinced herself no one would ever know if she shaved ten minutes off her shift, when the phone jangled causing her to flinch. Whirling around and sweeping it up, she prayed it wasn't her relief calling to say he couldn't make it, and said in as upbeat a voice as she could muster, “Vampires Anonymous, this is Angela, how may I help you?”

“This is Ted,” an agonized voice responded. “You’ve got to help me, I don’t want to do it, not really.”

Angela sat back down with a thump, her earlier boredom forgotten. At last, she thought a chance to do some good. “Of course I’ll help you Ted,” she said soothingly. “Tell me your situation.”

“Well, I went to the night parade, just to walk next to them, you know, the sensory overload is so intoxicating.” He paused and Angela could hear scraping sounds like a chair being drawn across the floor. “I wasn’t going to hurt any of them, really. It never entered my mind.”

“I understand Ted,” she told him following procedure and establishing trust. Don’t be judgmental, she reminded herself. “I was looking forward to attending myself. It really is wonderful to be in a crowd of them. The heat emanating from them is so pleasurable.”

“Exactly,” Ted whined. “I even drank before I went. I really admire what you people are doing and I’ve read the literature. I’m not some backwoods hick who doesn’t understand the problem or some insensitive bastard who doesn’t care. Really.”

“Of course you’re not Ted,” Angela reassured him. “I could tell right away, you’re very conscientious.” She reached into the drawer and got out a pencil and some paper. She’d have to file a report, she decided, he sounded completely stressed out and likely to do anything. Jotting down his name and some of her impressions, she listened while he continued to moan and groan.

“So I drank before, more than usual, I wanted to be sure, you know. It tastes so sweet, not coppery like the real stuff; it’s not even red. You’d think they could make it red at least. Anyway, I’m a big believer in Conservation. I mean I’m only 200 but I can remember when I could go several years without running into any of us. Now, I can’t even walk down the street without passing someone younger than me. It’s pathetic. I don’t know why every blessed hunter in the world doesn’t realize our population is exploding.”

A young one, Angela thought as she wrote his age on her pad. They always had trouble controlling their urges. Anyone less than 500 couldn’t be expected to have a perfect record. After that the blood lust tapered off a bit. “You have read the literature,” she praised. “But there are some remote areas where our population has remained relatively stable. Cities like ours are a problem though, so many of us reside here and most of us are not that careful. Abstinence is really the only option. If we continue hunting indiscriminately they’ll be extinct in less than 200 years.”

“I agree completely, all that talk about special permits and hunting seasons, well I don’t really think that will happen. Do you?”

“Oh yes, it’s already happening in some countries. We’re just not that organized yet over here. The synthetics are helpful though, along with programs like ours, we’ve already seen a reduction in hunting and prey numbers are rebounding all along the coast.”

“Well, that’s wonderful news. I guess one less isn’t such a big deal, it’s just that I’m afraid once I start I can’t stop. It’s addicting, that’s been proven, right?”

“Absolutely,” Angela said straining her ears. She thought she’d heard a muffled sob and the soft telltale beat of a human female’s heart in the background. “Our scientists have conclusively determined that human blood is addicting to vampire physiology. We need to consume it to survive, but the nutrients one feeding supplies can sustain us for a very long time. The hemoglobin’s high oxygen level works like a drug on the vampire brain. That’s why we typically kill more often than necessary.”

“Oh,” Ted replied miserably. “I guess that’s why the synthetic stuff tastes so sweet and isn’t red.” There was another scraping sound. “Do you suppose that’s why blood from a terrified human is so much better than blood from a sleeping one?”

“Correct,” Angela muttered, concentrating hard. She could now pick up ragged breathing, which had to be from a victim. Her hand began to tremble, and she took a deep breath holding it in her lungs while she tried to think of the proper words that would talk him down and save the woman’s life he had chained to something in his apartment. “They hyperventilate when afraid and more oxygen is dumped into the bloodstream, improving the flavor and giving us an extra boost.”

“It’s so warm and smooth, like satin,” he gushed, his words beginning to slur in anticipation.

Alarmed, Angela spoke a bit harsher than she meant to, “It’s a drug, you’ve been off it too long; one sip and you’ll need more immediately. There won’t be much time before you’ll kill again. You could even go on a rampage slaughtering dozens.”

Ted gasped reflexively. “I don’t want to kill dozens,” he whispered. “I just want her. She’s so soft and sweet, like minted melons on a chilled fork with a glass of very cold champagne.”

Angela swallowed. “I know Ted, but think about her. How old is she? Could she have children? You might be taking a breeder that would help to increase their population.”

“They don’t even know they’re dying. They think they have some viral disease. They don’t realize how many we are. They think their population is on the rise. No one will even notice I took one.”


“But you’ll know.” Angela stopped and quieted her voice, making it as seductive and compelling as possible. It didn’t often work with other vampires, but he was young and it might have a calming effect. “You told me you didn’t want to do it. I could hear the truth of that in your voice. Look at her, Ted. Is she crying? She knows what you’re about to do, and just like us she wants to live.”

“She’s prey,” he snapped, his voice tight. “They always cry.”

“She’ll feel pain, just like you do. I’m sure she has plans for her life, why don’t you talk to her?”

“No!” he shouted and for a moment Angela was certain he would hang up, but the phone clattered to the floor and the sound of ripping wood and breaking glass resounded through the line.

“Ted!” Angela shouted into the phone. The terrifying sounds were suddenly superseded by complete silence. “Ted,” Angela called softly. The scraping sound responded and the rapid beating of a heart pounded in the background. A rattling indicated the lifting of the phone.

“I’m here,” he sobbed. “I can’t do it, she’s too beautiful and fragile. I’m a monster.”

“No, Ted, you’re not. You’re just young. These things happen. It will be alright.”

“I can’t let her go, she’ll tell the police. I’ll have to move and I have nowhere to go. I have to do it now.”

“It’s not a problem, Ted. We have relocation counselors for this very reason. One of them can reach you tonight and we’ll have you in a new city with a new apartment before sunrise.”
“Really?” Ted asked, perking up.

“Absolutely!”

“Okay, I’m letting her go now.” The phone thunked on a counter and Angela heard the clanking of chains hitting the ground. There was a loud squeal and a scuttling sound, then Ted’s voice urging the woman to run.

A moment later he was back. “She’s gone. What do I do now?”

“Get a pencil and write this number down,” Angela instructed flipping through the Rolodex on her desk. “The counselor’s name is Bob, his number is 555-7374.” Got it?”

“Yes, I have it.” Ted paused. “I’m so grateful, Angela. I know I would have made a terrible mistake if you hadn’t been there for me.”

“I was happy to do it, Ted. Don’t you worry, call that number right away and everything will be fine. If you need someone to talk to while you’re waiting for Bob please call back. My shift is over, but a lovely young vampire will be taking over soon.” There was a rush of air through the open window and Angela glanced up at her replacement, grimacing slightly. The young vampire’s eyebrows shot up and he pointed at the phone. She nodded. “In fact he’s here right now. Would you like to speak to him?” She spun the pad around so Thomas could read her notes. He perused it quickly and nodded to her.

“I guess,” Ted returned in a noncommittal voice. “I’m so ashamed.”

“Don’t worry Ted, please.” Angela soothed. “I’m going to put Thomas on now.”

Thomas took the phone and in an enthusiastic voice greeted Ted. “Ted, it’s Thomas. I hear you’ve been having a hard night of it.”

“I certainly have,” Ted replied.

“Angela tells me she gave you Bob’s number?”

“Yes she did, but I’m so embarrassed I don’t know what to say.”

“I understand completely. How about this, Angela uses our other phone line and calls Bob for you.”

“Okay, I guess.”

“Great! I’m going to need an address.” He wrote it on the pad and passed it to Angela, who dialed Bob. After explaining the situation and giving Bob the address she got Thomas’ attention and pointed at the clock. He grinned and nodded. “Ted, Bob’s on his way to your apartment right now. It will be just a few seconds. I’ll stay on with you until he arrives. Angela has to leave but she said to tell you she knows everything will work out fine.” He waived a dismissive hand at her and continued chatting.

Angela took the conventional way out through the door. She needed awhile to think. By the time she’d gone down two flights of stairs and stepped out onto the street, she’d talked herself out of the festival. She could still hear the music and thousands of heartbeats drifting toward her on the breeze but she’d lost interest. Stretching her arms out above her she vanished in a rush of mist that shot upward and over the buildings toward the sleeping side of the city. She headed home to her little penthouse and dear, sweet, Pablo who reclined beneath the covers. She’d scoot in through the window, crawl under the sheets with him, lay her head on his chest, and listen to his strong heart pound and the resonance of the air moving in and out of his lungs. Then she might take a tiny sip, not fall off the wagon, just a taste, to remind her of the real thing and what she’d given up. Pablo would never know. It could be a reward for a job well done, she decided. It would be the last time, she’d never do it again, she promised. After all, at 650 she could control her urges.





© Copyright 2004 two of four (natb at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/847331-V-A