*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/853092-Ch1-Foreign-Danger
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Dawn
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · Fantasy · #853092
girl with extroidinary powers to save her world
Kali rode through the forested area surrounding her home on her black stallion and along a path that had been freshly made. She felt at ease because of the protective coverage of the tall evergreens. Her jet black hair was pulled back into her ponytail and her almond colored eyes were watching carefully.

Her father, Mark, was at work as usual, so she was left to fend for herself. Sixteen years ago her mother had died giving birth to her. Mark thought she was the cause of it, so he neglected her.

A snowy Owl was perched nearby and the wind that was now picking itself up rustled its feathers. Shivers went down her spine as she and Rondeleii picked their way down the path; darkness was closing in fast around them. Unnaturally fast.

"We have to get out of this place Rondeleii." Kali looked over her shoulder, the feeling of ease gone.

Something was moving towards them from the right, but was too far to see. Kali kicked her heels into the horse's flanks and he took off like lightning. More and more things were closing in. Fear was pulsing through her veins and now Kali could almost make out the shape of whatever was surrounding them.

They were human shapes, but something was not right. Shadows veiled the beings. Rondeleii was fidgeting and trying to throw the bit, and was taking all Kali had to control him.

The sound of running footsteps in front of her caught her attention. Looking up, she saw another figure blocking the way. Instinct told her to turn round and go back, but Rondeleii became very quiet and stood docile.

"Kali." the figure ahead spoke in a clear and resonant voice.

Panic was taking the place of her fear. "How do you know my name?!" she yelled trying to turn the stubborn horse.

The figure came closer so she could see his face (she was assuming that, because of the voice). He had short silver hair and vivid blue eyes. Even though his hair was silver, he had the look of youth. His cheeks were high, his skin was smooth and pale, and in the middle of his head sprouted a big opalescent horn. He wore a white cloak with a large hood on the back. Kali gasped in surprise. For what she was staring at was the human form of a unicorn.

Unicorns were mythological beings that only existed in legends told by the many story tellers that strolled through the villages. It was even harder to believe now that one was right in front of her.

"I am Nerkon, Prince of all Unicorns. Me and my subjects live here and have heard of a girl with extraordinary powers."

Kali slowly dismounted Rondeleii and curtsied slightly, all the while keeping an eye on the unicorn. Nerkon seemed to be calm and followed her with his gaze.

"Once again I will ask you to state how you know my name." she demanded not paying attention to what he had said.

Nerkon bowed deeply and nodded. "You are well known to us, as well as all the other creatures of this land. It has been said that a girl from a foreign land will protect..." the Unicorn did not have time to finish his sentence because arrows were flying in their direction.

Kali jumped onto her horse and watched as Nerkon transformed back into his original state. An arrow whizzed by her head just as she ducked.

"Whats happening Nerkon?!" she galloped after the fleeing unicorn prince.

"Yio." Nerkon said with malice.

"Yio? Whos that?" she swerved to avoid another volley of arrows.

"She is an Evil sorceress that is constantly trying to take over my clan. Yio has caused many deaths.'" Nerkon sped faster, " Hurry! She will be coming along soon."

Kali breathed in short ragged breaths as she asked Rondeleii for more speed. His sides were heaving and soaked in sweat. At this rate he would be near death by the time they got out of the forest.

"He won't make it Nerkon! Rondeleii is getting weaker!" she shouted.

Suddenly pain exploded in her left shoulder as a feathered arrow pierced her flesh. She cried out in agony and almost lost her grip on the reins.

Nerkon slowed his pace and fell back to her side. He was much taller than her stallion, which stood at 16.5 hh. "Don't let go Kali! I cannot do anything here."

"Go on Nerkon. Go! I don't know what you were talking about me gifted with extraordinary powers, but I assure you I am not that girl."

"You must get out of this forest, Lady Kali. I have been sent to guide you!"

The arrow was sticking out at an odd angle and must have hit an artery because spouts of blood were spewing out like a tiny river. The sight sickened Kali as she fought to remain conscious.

Nerkon was now closer than before and had changed back to his human form to mount Rondeleii. The stallion barely felt his weight as he put his strong arms around Kali to take over the reins.

Darkness was crowding her vision as they neared the edge of the forest.

"Keep awake, Lady Kali. We're almost there, just hold on." Nerkon's voice cut into her fading thoughts.

"It's getting dark Nerkon. I have to go home. My father will be mad." Kali mumbled, forgetting where she was.

"Come on Kali. Don't fall asleep here. Yio will be able to get into your dreams!!!" he shook her with his right hand as they sped down the path, a few feet from the forest edge.

"Yio? I... I know Yio. Someone told me about her once. A while back i think. Who are you?" Kali said as she turned her head slightly to look at him.

"Nerkon, the unicorn prince. Just keep talking alright?"

Time seemed to slow and the noise of the arrows were more distant. A gentle, ghostly hand was laid on her shoulder, calming her. They were still moving but Kali could almost see more clearly than before she was hit. She tried to turn to look at the person or other being the hand belonged to, but something kept her from doing so. Then suddenly they were out of the forest and the hand disappeared.

No arrows were flying overhead and Kali's eyes drooped heavily. Nerkon was climbing off with her in his arms. The last sight she saw was a palace off in the distance with a gleaming silver lake to the right.
© Copyright 2004 Dawn (nu_writer at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/853092-Ch1-Foreign-Danger