*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/853700-George-The-Lonely-Piece-Of-Seaweed
Rated: E · Short Story · Comedy · #853700
The sad and lonely life of half a seaweed!
Resting about on the sandy bottom of the salty ocean, a lonely piece of seaweed awaits something interesting to come into his sad, boring life. A school of fish swim by, on their way to the “Museum Of Fine Waters,” and tease him about being so lonely, green, slimy, incomplete, and ugly.

This piece of seaweed had a very hard life so far; he lost his parents just last year, when the hook from a fishing rod yanked them out of the sandy bottom. Recently, a large seaweed-eating shark swallowed up his grandmother. He planned to take revenge on this cruel, vicious monster, but he found it kind of hard: for his roots were firmly planted into the sand. He had received good news from the delivery fish, that a hook had nabbed the horrible seaweed-eating shark. (When I say nabbed, I mean getting a sharp, pointed hook up your throat, and being yanked up to a boat, just so some selfish fisherman can eat you for supper the following day.)


The only thing that this poor piece of seaweed knows about himself, is that his name is George, he grows from the sandy bottom of an ocean, he has no family or friends, and he’s just a “PIECE” of seaweed, because in FW2 (Fish War 2), he lost his top half (He’s lucky he still has a face!).

George isn’t very happy of being the only one of his kind in this part of the sea. Everything from fisherman, to fish pox, to seaweed-eating sharks, has been attacking his fellow plants.
“And now, to this very moment, there’s not much seaweed, because all of those selfish shellfish are suddenly “not good enough” for humans. Now, the starving, famished, hungry humans, I don’t understand why they just don’t starve to death, have been taking all of us innocent seaweed instead… well I’ve got news for them: they can go kiss my un-sorry little green nose!” said George himself.

A couple of days after George had made his little remark about the humans, something very strange happened to him: something came sinking down from the surface. It was slim, orange, pointed, and it sank quite quickly. Before no time, it was lying there, right next to George.
“I’ve heard about these, it must be what those unclean, filthy, grimy, mucky, messy, dirty… humans call a ‘pencil.’ I think they use it for writing.” If you could have seen George, you would have laughed hysterically; the way he was looking at the unknown object. He was so confused, puzzled, mystified, bamboozled… his head upside down, eyes wide open, the poor thing. All of the sudden, the delivery fish swam by rapidly. Two seconds later he came back just as fast to admire George’s newfound object.
“Seeing as I’m a delivery fish, I’ve seen many of these in my days. They’re called ‘pencils.’ The grubby old humans use them to write articles, and stories. Would you like to put it in the Museum Of Fine Waters? We could also dig you out of the sandy bottom, so you can be in the annual Fine Waters Parade.”
“That would be splendid, amazing, astonishing, remarkable, marvellous, excellent… but would you mind being my friend, since I don’t have any?”
“Of course I wouldn’t mind being your friend, you seem very sweet. How do you know so many synonyms for that one word?”
“Well, what else do you expect me to do? I’m hear 24/7, my hobby, pastime, entertainment, distraction from my horrible life… is to read my mother’s old thesaurus.” Together, George and his new friend chuckled over agreement. They didn’t know it at the time, but they were going to be life-long friends.


When the day of the parade finally arrived, the delivery fish gathered up all of his friends, and together they dug up the excited little piece of seaweed.
“Content, pleased, glad, joyful, cheerful, blissful, heavenly, wonderful, delightful, perfect, pleasurable, enjoyable, satisfied, happy… I don’t know what I am!” exclaimed George as they were lifting him onto a giant float that looked like a pencil. (Actually it was just an over-sized pencil)


This story ends with the saying ‘good-bye’ to ‘George: the lonely piece of seaweed,’ and welcoming in the new and improved ‘George: the content, pleased, glad, joyful, cheerful, blissful, heavenly, wonderful, delightful, perfect, pleasurable, enjoyable, satisfied, happy… piece of seaweed!’

Happily riding away on the sandy bottom of his giant pencil float, he is being admired by thousands, no: millions, of under-water creatures.


The End
© Copyright 2004 -* Trish *- (porkypiglet at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/853700-George-The-Lonely-Piece-Of-Seaweed