*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/854302-The-Three-Dried-Figs
Rated: E · Short Story · Comedy · #854302
An innovation of "The Three Little Pigs."
It was a warm afternoon. The door to the refrigerator kept opening. The three dried figs each decided to construct their own shelters that would keep the coldness in.
The first fig went down to the vegetable bin, and collected some beans. “Not too short, not too thin. Just right for my green bean cottage!” said the little fig
The second fig, who was the most stubborn of them all, started to pull out large pieces of lettuce from the nearby sandwiches. “My lettuce tent will be very comfortable. The lettuce will hopefully keep the coolness inside.”
The third fig just sat there watching the others run around; “You two better construct your houses wisely. Or else the lady that bought us will knock them down.” The third fig was a wise fig. He chose his materials very carefully, unlike the others who just chose the first thing that came to their minds. This fig wasn’t about to live in a green bean cottage, or even a lettuce tent… he had a better idea. After a quick stroll around the fridge, the third fig chose his material. He brought it back to a clearing near the back end of the fridge; and began to build.

After three days, each fig had finished their shelters and invited each other over for tea. The first day they met at the green bean cottage. It was going very well, until a large hand came into the fridge and took all of the green beans. The figs ran as fast as they could to the lettuce tent. All three figs decided that little cottages shouldn’t be made with beans. The first fig stayed with the second fig in his comfortable lettuce tent.

The next day, the wise old fig went over to the lettuce tent to join the others. Just as they sat down, once again, a hand came forth. It was Lizzie’s hand. She was the teenager that lived in the apartment outside of which the fridge was situated. She wanted to make lovely salad for her boyfriend, and needed some lettuce.

Since the third fig was so generous, he said: “You guys are welcome to stay at my house until you get things together again. I knew that your houses weren’t going to last very long, so I made two extra rooms for you guys. I’ll show you where my shelter is, under one condition…” the two other figs looked extremely confused, “you have to where these nose plugs at all times!” they agreed, and took them cautiously.

When the three dried figs arrived at the third and final shelter, they hoped there would be no more disturbances from Lizzie. They put on their nose plugs, and stepped inside. Sure enough, they were never disturbed again, for the third fig, who was most definitely the wisest, made his shelter out of the one food that Lizzie hates most; smelly cheese!!
© Copyright 2004 -* Trish *- (porkypiglet at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/854302-The-Three-Dried-Figs