*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/863630-Chapter-4---Securely-Attached
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · Drama · #863630
Problems arise with the veil becoming unattached.
I took the children on several field trips, including the zoo and planetarium. We went to some museums and planned a trip to the local amusement park. Two weeks later Mr. Adams called me into his study once more.

"I appreciate all of the time you’ve spent with the children and the trips you’ve taken them on. It’s above and beyond the call of duty, if you ask me. However, I’ve been talking to Maggie and this time she makes perfect sense. There is something about this upcoming outing that concerns me."

"What were you talking about?"

"This trip to the amusement park. I’m going to have to veto the whole idea. I’m not fully convinced of the educational value in this, anyway."

"There is none." I replied. He looked at me.

"No?"

"Listen Mr. Adams, I could make up something, if that would please you, but the truth is…I promised to take the kids somewhere special if they did well on their math test. They both studied hard and scored in the upper ten percent. It was Trisha who suggested the park. As usual I let them know we had to get your approval."

"So you make me the bad guy, by having me say no." I shrugged.

"Then don’t say no." Mr. Adams took a deep breath.

"I'm afraid I have to."

"But why?"

"Because I don’t think you can handle that."

"Of course I can handle two small children at an amusement park, especially children as well behaved as yours. What’s the big deal in that?" He shook his head. "Why do you think I can’t?"

"Because at those kinds of parks, they have rides. What will you do when a strong wind comes through and blows your veil off?" I was slightly taken aback.

"That won’t happen?"

"No? How do you know it won’t?" I swallowed.

"I always make sure my veil is secure."

"But you can’t guarantee that. You don’t know that for sure."

"No, I don’t. There is always a possibility, sir. However, I always make sure the veil is securely attached."

"But what if it does, come off?" He said and grabbed it as though to rip it off. I screamed and covered my face with both hands. I began to weep and shrunk into the corner.

"I apologize, Miss Walker. I had to demonstrate my point in a graphic way. If you were in public alone with my kids and this happened, you would not be able to care for them. I can’t take the chance that, that will happen. Do you understand?" I nodded.

"No more field trips, Miss Walker. No more promises that you cannot keep. Next time clear any ideas with me before you try them out on the children. Is that clear?" I nodded. "Maggie warned me that you would try to take over this house...that you would drive a wedge between the children and me by playing us against each other." I frowned.

"I assure you that was not my intention, sir. I replied, regaining my composure.

"They love you, Miss Walker. You’ve made yourself quite indispensable."

"I thought you wanted me to win the children’s confidence and trust." I replied, readjusting my veil and making sure it was secure.

"Not at my own expense."

"I assure you, sir that no one can take your place in the children’s heart. They talk about you constantly. They miss you. A few weeks ago Randy prayed that you’d make a lot of money so that you could spend more time with them."

Mr. Adams slammed his fist onto the desk. "Don’t tell me how to raise my own children!"

"Somebody needs to!" We glared at each other.

"I apologize, Mr. Adams. I’ve overstepped my position, but you see...I love your children and I would never do anything to harm them, nor you. All you have to do is talk to them to see that they still love and respect you. You’ll see I never tried to take over this house or take your affections from them. I feel its part of my duty to reinforce your relationship, not to drive a wedge between you. I know Maggie must have meant well, but she is wrong in this instance. Dead wrong."

Mr. Adams lowered his eyes. Then he breathed a sigh. "I’m sorry if I accused you falsely. Maggie has been with this family for a long time. You have to overlook her eccentricities. I will speak to her." I nodded. "I also apologize for my vivid demonstration. I’m sorry if it upset you." I nodded again.

"I will clear all planned trips with you before mentioning anything to the children and no amusement parks." He nodded and opened the door for me to leave. As my hand touched the knob he covered it with his own.

"I am really sorry, Angelica." He said sincerely. I looked at him.

"Thank you. The children will be disappointed but I was sure they will get over it."

Patricia and Randy were devastated about not going to the amusement park. They had been looking forward to it. So while I was out shopping a few days later I decided to get them both a gift. I picked out a carousel music box for Patricia and a bump and go fire truck for Junior. I was pleased with my acquisitions. I knew the children would love them. I even had them gift-wrapped.

After our history lesson and review, I produced my gifts. Junior opened his first, ripping away the paper quickly. He was very excited and began playing with it right away.

Patricia took many pains removing her paper. When she opened the box she looked briefly at me and pushed the gift away from herself. Then she ran from the room crying. I tried to follow her, but she refused to open her door.


Click to go to "Invalid Item
Or here to go to "The Veil"   by Magdalena
© Copyright 2004 Magdalena (ceta6 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/863630-Chapter-4---Securely-Attached