*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/865933-Book-Review
by litbug
Rated: E · Critique · Teen · #865933
A review of one of my favorite series. (The Sally Lockhart series by Philip Pullman)
This is a review of the Sally Lockhart trilogy by Philip Pullman, containing The Ruby in the Smoke, The Shadow in the North, and The Tiger in the Well.

Philip Pullman is an extraordinary author for young adults. His work in all of his novels, including the children's stories, is magnificent. The Sally Lockhart trilogy, though, outshines the rest as an adventure tale. My copies are starting to fall apart as I have read them upwards of four times. I would recommend these books mostly for teen girls, as it contains some romantic elements that are probably best seen from a female's point of view.
The whole series bursts with adventure, danger, friendship, and some romance. The first book opens in Victorian England with Sally Lockhart herself; an intelligent, headstrong, independent young lady of 16. She finds herself alone at the news of her father's mysterious death, left only with a cryptic message: Beware the seven blessings. And so her quest begins to unravel the mystery behind her father's death and the seven blessings.
On her way, she meets several odd characters that soon become her closest friends. They aid her in her search for the answers she has long been denied.
But to tell you more would ruin the story, so go out and read it. As Lavar Burton would say, "Don't take my word for it!!"

Other great books by Philip Pullman: The Broken Bridge, His Dark Materials trilogy (The Golden Compass, The Subtle Knife, and the Amber Spyglass), Spring-Heeled Jack (children's)
© Copyright 2004 litbug (litbug at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/865933-Book-Review