*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/867648-Jennys-Hope
Rated: E · Fiction · Romance/Love · #867648
A story of a young mother dealing with the loss of a husband,and his last request....

Jenny’s Hope
By: Pipinheart

Hope is sometimes a fragile word; it is all that we have to cling to, and the only thing that keeps us moving forward.


Jenny understood what it was to strive for hope, because she did it ever day since Daniel died.
Jenny opened her eyes with a sigh, and rushed to her feet as she heard the screaming start up again.
Rushing down the hallway, gently she picked up her screaming son from his crib.
“Hush, now love.” “What’s the fuss all about, huh.”?
Setting down in the rocking chair, Jenny slowly rocked him back and forth singing.

Hush little Michael
Don’t you cry?
Mommy is here
Deep in the night
Close your eyes
Angle’s watch you
Have no fear

Slowly, he quieted down as his eyes began to droop, his rosy check nestled against Jenny’s breast, as his fist curled at his mouth.
His soft brown hair reminded her so much of her dear husband. Only six months ago an auto that had torn Jenny’s world apart; his death was an ache that seemed to grow each day. Daniel always insisted that she promise if something should happen to him she should take.
It almost seemed as he had foreseen his death, he had a will made up not but a year ago. He had money yet she had no inkling of where it had come from. Yet he still worked, saying we may need that extra money someday for Michael.

“Jenny, if something happens to me take Michael to meet my parents.”
“Nothing is going to happen, Daniel, you worry so.”
She could still hear his words and they haunted her dreams.
Even though he parents had been cut out of their life he said deep down they were good people. She made the promise from her heart, yet never expecting to fulfill her promise.
Looking down at Michael who was fast asleep was the one thing that had kept her going through all her heartache.
“ One day Michael, I will tell you about your father. He was a very special man, he wanted so much for you, but of all things I will tell you he very much loved you.”
“I wish you could have known him.”
Kissing Michael on his head she laid him back in his crib, and watched as he sighed and smiled as he slept.
Walking back down the hall to her room she climbed back into bed.
Worried about tomorrow, she tossed about in bed until the covers came undone. With a frustrated sigh Jenny rose and re-made the bed.
Knowing she couldn’t get to sleep Jenny made it to the nursery and pulled up the rocking chair and watched as Michael sleep. Long in the night she sat there watching her baby sleep only nearing morning did she fall into a deep slumber.


Morning didn’t see Jenny in any better of a frame of mind, Her dark black hair fell in a braid down her back, and her dark green eyes and her rosy skin reflected a girl of only twenty-three.
As she dressed in a dark blue summer dress, with her pearl necklace and earrings Daniel had bought her as a wedding gift. She placed her hand around the necklace and for a minute had to hold back tears of regret.
What had he said when he place them around her neck.
“This means forever”
Forever.
Yes, well forever had been replace with forever without him.

She was a girl raised in a small town of Colorado, yet here she was sitting on a plane with her eight-month-old son to Boston.
She had written a letter to her in-laws yet a response was never received. She told them of the death of their son, for no matter what they had loved him.

Exiting the plane she retrieved her bag, all the while wondering if she hadn’t made the biggest mistake of her life.
This was Boston, the place Daniel was born and raised, looking about it just didn’t seen possible that he had come from such a different background as her.
Hailing the taxi driver they drove some distance and he dropped her off at his parents’ estate. When she looked up she realized Daniel had come from a totally different world than she had. This place had acres of land and was three stories high, in this kind of a society she was just outsider.
When Daniel had been married to her he lived a different lifestyle, and she never believed he had been so well off, it amazed her to find out he had keep this from her as well.
Walking toward the door she rang the doorbell, as her hands shook. This was taking all the courage she thought was possible.
Looking down at her sleeping son, she rallied the bravery inside of her, and rang the bell again.
A heartbeat later the door creaked opened, to her relief.
“ Miss, can I help you”? The calm faced butler looked like he’d denied entrance to many. “Yes, I am here to see Mr. Hanson, if you could tell them that I am here I would appreciate it. “
With a raised eyebrow he asked, ” Do you have an appointment to see Mr. Hanson”?
Looking coldly back she said,
“Does, his Grandson need an appointment to see him?
Please inform him I am here.
With a nod, he gave her leave to enter the house where she waited in a small waiting room.


The door opened with a loud bang that startled Michael out of his sleep, and jenny gave a gasp of surprise to see the angry man coming toward her.




“So I see my son picked a wife with a little gut, well I’ll give you that.”
“ You demanding for me to see my grandson.”
“Why, my dear did I ever give you an impression I wanted to see you or the child?”
“How could you not, he is you flesh and blood, and all that is left of Daniel.

Daniel died years ago, on that day he was dead to me and to all of this family.
“What kind of people are you, to have such hate toward your own son.
“You aren’t our kind, you are the dirt I wipe my feet on.”
Jenny was startled out of shock as Michael started crying loudly, as if he too felt the pain of the remark toward his father.
” So you leave and get that crying brat out of my home.”
Jenny turned toward the door, but not before she said.
” No wonder Daniel left here, there’s no love here”.
Rushing outside she didn’t notice the man with a frown outside the parlor door.

Tears streaming down her face Jenny ran to the park she had seen while ridding in the cab. She hadn’t asked him to wait expecting a different kind of welcome.
On the bench she sat, Michael was still crying and her thoughts were racing.
“What was I expecting?” “Your father had run from this life, and no wonder.”
Oh, Daniel did you think our little son, could fix all the broken pieces of your father.
How could she reunite Michael with his father’s family? The man was so angry, and cruel, those words tore into her heart. How could any man think of their son dead, why could he not want to know his Grandson?
Not all things can be fixed; maybe some things always remain broken.


Jenny took the flight home with regret in her heart. She had accomplished nothing and had not fulfilled the promise given to Daniel.
It broke her heart that the one thing Daniel wanted so much was the one thing she couldn’t give.
It was weeks later that she resolved herself to the fact that her promise to Daniel would never be fulfilled.
Putting Michael down for his nap she heard a knock on the door. Looking out the window to see a car she didn’t recognize.
Opening the door to see a man that resembled her dead husband greatly. With a gasp Jenny, put a hand to her head as she felt a roaring in her ears. She almost fell, if the man hadn’t grabbed her arm she would have collapsed.

“I guess my brother never mentioned his twin brother did he?”

“My name is David; I am Daniel’s twin brother.” Smiling he looked down at Jenny, and she had to shut her eyes on the pain he didn’t realize he was putting her through.
“ I guess he never mentioned it then.
Finding her vision clearing, she managed a half smile.
“No not the twin part anyway.”
“Always did have a problem with that part.”
I am here on the request of my mother. I know father was really cruel to you a few weeks ago; I overheard what was said, and he was wrong about what the family wants.
I am here to tell you not everyone is like that. “Father perhaps will never learn to accept that Daniel left; because he drove him away.”

“I can’t tell you how pleased I am to hear that, Daniel wanted his son to know his family.” “It was his last request”.

“Was it.”?
A sad look came across David’s face, and Jenny wanted to reach out to him and tell him how sorry she was.
“Jennifer, mother has asked me to invite you and Michael to stay for the summer at her house”. She no longer lives with father; she wants to know her grandson, and the woman her son loved.

Looking up into a face that resembled her dear Daniel, Jenny realized that sometimes hope is always near if you believe


.
© Copyright 2004 pipinheart (pipinheart at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/867648-Jennys-Hope