*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/871396-Underneath-The-Disability
by awitts
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Emotional · #871396
A story about a boy with a serious disability.
Hello there. My name is Alan Skinner and I'm nineteen years old. I want to tell you a little story about a special part of my life. First of all I'm disabled and have a disability named "Duchene Muscular Dystrophy." This disability affects the muscles and from about the age of nine it stops you walking making you have to use an electric/push wheelchair. I have an electric wheelchair. Also due to the condition being one that deteriorates as you get older, I will only live up to my late twenties. Shocking I know. I need help with getting out of bed, washing, eating, toileting, moving, going to bed.

I live with just my sister Amy who is my main carer. My parents split up ages ago and they both live in separate houses. I see them from time to time. I like normal things young men like, women, sport and beer. I also spend most of my time on the computer which seems to be the best thing I can do. I'm always on-line pretending to be tall, dark, slim and an athletic but they know I'm lying. Well now you know a bit about me, lets get on with the story.

All my life I've been wondering when my time will be up. Some of us guys live up to forty where as others only up to fifteen. The doctors tell me I'm quite lucky. Only been seriously ill one time. I have now realised not to worry about when that time comes but to worry about normal things like, my education, my family and finding the girl of my dreams.

Tomorrow I start at Sunny-side College, which is a normal College that has just a couple of other disabled people. I'm very nervous about tomorrow. Worried that I might get laughed at and not make any friends. So I'm lying here in bed thinking the worst case scenarios. I need a good night sleep.

"Wake up Alan." The sound of my sister Amy wakes me up.

"Good morning sis." I say while I'm still half asleep. I never slept much last night, to busy worrying about starting College.

"You're taxi will be at eight, I better be quick and get you up."

My sister gets me up quite quickly and just in time for my taxi, which beeps it's horn quite loud.

"Well I guess this is it then?" I said nervously.

"Yeah, don't worry bro, it will be fine."

"I hope so, see you later."

I ride my wheelchair out the door as Amy waves me goodbye. The taxi driver looks old and grumpy as he exits his vehicle. He opens the back door and lifts down the ramp. I ride up it as he also tries to push me up it.

"Do I clamp you in?" He asks stupidly.

"Yes, you also put a belt round me."

He takes about ten minutes putting the clamps on. He then then puts the belt round me.

"Lift your arms up."

"I can't." This as started great, not. He lifts my arms up and fastens the belt. Finally we are off.

We are now on the motorway going faster then the normal speed limit. He doesn't say a word. Suddenly two clamps fall off and my wheelchair keeps moving. This is getting worse.

"Excuse me driver, my clamps fell off." I tell the driver and he stops the taxi on the hard shoulder. He gets out and re-clamps me.

We finally arrive at Sunny-side College where my helper Mick is there waiting. I ride out the taxi.

"Hello Alan, you ready for this?" He asked.

"Yeah sure.." I said uncertain.

"Lets go."

We enter the College and I go to the bathroom. You don't want to know that bit. While I'm in there I'll tell you what I'm studying in College. I'm doing an IT Course and could end up being an IT Teacher. I doubt it due to my condition but at least I'll keep myself busy. I leave the bathroom and go to my first class. The helper only helps me when I need help. I enter the classroom where unfortunately the teacher introduces me to everyone.

"Well here he is. Everyone please welcome Alan to the class. I hear hes great on the computer so he might teach you a thing or two. You're table is there, I'll come and help you in a bit."

She seems quite nice and not bad looking. I go to my table then the teacher comes to lift my arms onto the table and tells me what were doing in todays lesson. While I'm working, I notice to my right the most beautiful girl I have ever seen. She has long blond hair, blue sparky eyes and a gorgeous body. She can even work a computer. Damn, my dream women. She'll never have a disabled boyfriend.

"Hi there." I say to the girl.

"Oh hi." She wasn't interested.

That were it all lesson. I never got much work done. Too busy thinking dirty thoughts about me and that girl. You know, girls are never interested in me. I guess they see my wheels and think of me as a brainless person. If only they realised that my condition doesn't affect my brain. Like most people, they just presume things. If only they could know the real me.

"Alan.. Alan.. ALAN!." The teacher shouted and knocked me out of my thoughts. "The lesson's finished."

"Oh, sorry, too busy working." I lied.

The teacher lifts down my arms and I head to break. Mick is there waiting.

"Hey, you want a drink?" He asks.

"Yeah, Pepsi please." I ask.

After I have my drink Mick leaves me to myself so I can my own time to myself. I head on outside for a breath of fresh air. Two guys stand there laughing at me.

"Hey look, it's the retard kid." One guy shouted.

"Let's unplug his chair." The other one suggests.

Oh great two bully's. I'd try and run them over but I won't win. I decide to ride away but they chase me seeing as my wheelchair only goes four miles an hour. Now their trying to tip me out, ain't they nice people.

"Hey! Leave him alone." Shouts someone.

This quite big guy comes over which scares the two bully's away.

"You OK there buddy?" The guy asks.

"Yeah, thanks a lot." I say in relief.

"Well my names Tommy Tucker, great to meet you. I'm used to sorting guys like them out."

"You sure are. I'm Alan and I'd like to name you my first new mate."

We talked for about half an hour. We had quite a lot in common. He was nineteen and it was his second year in College. There where no more problems that day. I went home and told my sister Amy all about my day.

I went to bed feeling quite good and looking forward to my future. But something happened. I could feel my chest getting tight and I couldn't breath.

I died that night.

THE END

© Copyright 2004 awitts (awitts at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/871396-Underneath-The-Disability