*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/872881-The-Birth-Of-My-Future
Rated: E · Short Story · Family · #872881
This is about a story of becoming a grandmother, for the first time.
After giving birth to my daughter, never did I imagine that she would also give birth twenty-one years later because my daughter was never into children or boys.

My daughter, Ashley, was a troublesome child to rear; she had an appalling temper, which later would ensnare her.

One sunny, somewhat warm day, Ashley visited me. She was glowing, which told me there was something good happening in her life. She told me that she had some news that I would or would not like. From her expression and the words she spoke, I was somewhat worried.

Ashley continued to speak, with hesitations, "Mom, I'm pregnant."

Wow! The thought of me becoming a grandmother was perplexing because I was not ready to think of myself as old enough to be a grandmother. The inkling of the idea of my daughter having a child was unfathomable because Ashley was immature for her age and I was reluctant to accept the idea of her becoming a mother.

As the months passed, my reluctance became stronger than ever because I felt I was aging quickly. Also, Ashley did not realize what her future responsibilities were going to be.

On November 7, 2003, my mother visited me quite early in the morning. By the smile on her face and the excitement in her voice, I knew what words she was about to utter. She spoke, with excitement in her voice, "Well, I think you need to put on your coat and shoes. Ashley is in the hospital with contractions."

My heart began to pound fiercely and my pulse was erratic from the knowledge that I was near being a grandmother.

Unknowingly to me, this day was about to be the longest day in my memory. Ashley was having a difficult labor due to complications. Her blood pressure was skyrocketing,which is the main reason the doctor was inducing her labor: she began to hyperventilate, which caused her breathing to become irregular; and her contractions were immoderate.

As I sat there, watching her expressions of pain and anger, I felt her animosity. I was becoming emotionally drained from preventing myself from crying and attempting to be strong for the both of us. My only child was in excruciating pain and there was nothing I could do to prevent it.

Finally, that night, as I stood watching, a tiny face peeked out at the world. Then, sometime later, the entire head of a little baby popped out to see the world. At 9:11pm, the remainder of the baby decided to enter the world. My tears of excitement and joy radiated in the hospital room after Leilani was born.

Leilani (Lani, for short), was a perfect little girl that weighed a healthy seven pounds and fourteen ounces. She was a beautiful creation with big brown eyes and dark hair.

My beautiful little angel had aborted her safe haven in her mother's womb to present herself to this world. She was now to embark on a new environment unlike the place where she had just come from.

Within two weeks, my granddaughter was spending four days with her grandmother.I had planned on making it a joyous sleepover for her and I.

The first event was, giving her a bath, which was not too joyous by her standards! She was upset and screamed. Maybe she disliked the sensation of water on her skin or she loathed the the soap touching her delicate skin. For whatever reason, she was not happy with her first planned event.

Lani's next events were more soothing to her. I held her quite often and smothered her in kisses and hugs and talked to her. Since she was still too young to focus or understand my words, I do not believe she has any memories of our days together.

At three months, grandma's little angel is robust, with cheeks like a chipmunk in the fall, because it appears as if she has stored her harvest for the winter. Her eyes are big and bright, with the color of dark brown sugar. Her lips are like a pink rose in full bloom, with a toothless smile as bright as the sunlight, which executes a smile from everyone around her.

My future relies on this little angel of mine. Her developments and the things she will learn, as she grows, will bring excitement and pleasure to my life.

As I watch her devour her oatmeal for the first time, I will remember when she sucked from a formula-filled bottle.

When she utters her first words, I will remember the times she was saying "Goo, goo, ga, ga." I will also anticipate her first steps because I will know it is time to place my knickknacks much higher on shelves.

Grandma's little angel has many wonders to bring to all that will have the delight of being in her life.

As her grandmother, I am thrilled of knowing what's in the future because I know Lani will be there. I will be inflamed about what little tasks she will perform and what meaningful delights she will bring.

Lani's birth is my future because everything she says and does will affect me, forever. I will be able to watch her grow and learn new things in life. Even now, she is recognizing my voice as I speak, smiling at me and speaking to me in her baby gibberish, at eight months old. She is laughing aloud, as I play with her.
© Copyright 2004 avidwriter (tamstory at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/872881-The-Birth-Of-My-Future