*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/878663-September--9-Poetry-Newsletter
Rated: ASR · Editorial · Educational · #878663
Poetry Newsletter September 9, 2004, Terza Rima Sonnet
         Many forms or styles of poetry exist. Some are extremely formal and stiff. Some sound like the names of diseases. However, we can have fun learning and using some stylized forms, such as the Terza Rima Sonnet.



Next week's Poetry Newsletter editor: John~Ashen


Terza Rima Sonnet


         A Terza Rima Sonnet has four stanzas of three lines each followed by a couplet. Each line has a rhythm scheme of ten syllables. The rhyme scheme is aba, bcb, cdc, ded, ee.

         So what does that mean? First each line has ten syllables in each line, not ten words, but ten syllables. Then the first and third lines rhyme; the second, fourth, and sixth lines rhyme. The fifth, seventh, and ninth lines rhyme. The eighth, tenth, and twelth lines rhyme. Finally the eleventh, thirteenth, and fourteenth lines rhyme.

         Let's look at an example of a Terza Rima Sonnet by one of my favorite poets, Robert Frost. The rhyme scheme is shown in parenthesis at the end of each line - aba, bcb, cdc, ded, ee.



Acquainted with the Night
by Robert Frost

I have been one acquainted with the night. (a)
I have walked out in rain--and back in rain. (b)
I have outwalked the furthest city light (a)

I have looked down the saddest city lane. (b)
I have passed by the watchman on his beat (c)
And dropped my eyes, unwilling to explain. (b)

I have stood still and stopped the sound of feet (c)
When far away an interrupted cry (d)
Came over houses from another street, (c)

But not to call me back or say good-by; (d)
and further still at an unearthly height (e)
One luminary clock against the sky (d)

Proclaimed the time was neither wrong nor right. (e)
I have been one acquainted with the night. (e)


         Until I read about Terza Rima Sonnet elsewhere, I wasn't familiar with this poem by Frost. Now I believe it's one of his best.

         Oh, you don't think you could write in this form? I didn't think I could either, until I tried and tried and tried and . . . Well, you get the idea. Finally everything clicked, and the result is "Hide-and-Seek."


Hide-and-Seek
by Vivian Gilbert Zabel

Somewhere in the back of a cluttered mind,
Memory hides, waiting to play a game,
While friend forgetfulness neglects to find.

Facts and figures whirl until nearly lame
Attempting to decide where they belong,
But today cannot be found - what a shame.

Thoughts of long ago rush, romp, sing their song,
Take center stage, remaining dimly clear,
All current recollections simply wrong.

Though the outward appearance remains dear,
The mind, behind an “unbreachable” bar,
The familiar now unknown, causes fear.

Memory, come out wherever you are,
Since forgetfulness is winning thus far.


         I hope you enjoy this new type of sonnet, at least new to me until about two months ago.


A Brief Glimpse at Sonnets


When I started searching for examples of Terza Rima Sonnets, I was pleasantly surprised to find one:

 Eli Bat Nac  (E)
An attempt at a terza rima sonnet.
#863948 by rosita


Then I decided to look for Shakespearean (or English) sonnets. I found pages of poems, but most did not follow the form or had non-rhymes.

According to definition, a Shakespearean Sonnet has three (3) quatrains (stanzas of four lines each) and a couplet (two lines at the end). Each line has the rhythm scheme of iambec pentameter (pentameter means ten syllables in each line). The rhyme scheme is abab, cdcd, efef, gg.

Here are a few of the correctly formed sonnets I found:


 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#874335 by Not Available.


 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#847135 by Not Available.


 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#672403 by Not Available.


*Balloon1* *Balloon2* Announcement *Balloon2* *Balloon1*

reblackwell's book of poetry, The Ten Digit Poet, has been released.

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.aspuserid=p23VVVy9B7&isb...


Wonderful Feedback


Submitted By: truehitpoems

Now that I registered for writing.com what chance do I stand to get my short stories and poems and plays reach the lager world considering I'm far away in africa.

You have just reached people in Australia, the Netherlands, Great Britain, Brussels, Canada, the United States, plus others I don't know about. Post your work for exposure undreamed about.


Submitted By: princesssteph

Are there any poetry competitions? How can I enter?

To find a list of all current contests, visit "Site Navigation" toward the top left corner of the window. Click on "Item Jumps" and scroll down to "Contest List." Click on that to go to the list. One permanent poetry contest is
 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#701412 by Not Available.


If you are interested in children's poetry, visit
 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#750769 by Not Available.
.

Each contest has it's own rules. Just visit the site and read.



Submitted By: Aurelio2005


Wonderful explanation of free verse. One thing I might add is that poets are always looking for a fresh, unexpected image to express an idea. For example, instead of "crystal clear air," why not "unstained glass window"; kind of a play on stained glass window. Or, "pews fill" with "pews fill with people stacked like firewood" That might be a reach, but if you don't reach, you might not get there. If it definitely doesn't work, chuck it, but at least try expressing something with an image by "thinking outside the box." Aurelio Sanchez

Yes, using fresh, unexpected images to express an idea is great, but "unstained glass window" wouldn't create the alliteration wanted in that example. Under other circumstances that image would be very good. We have to keep in mind what we are trying to accomplish when we use images. And you are so correct: Try it, and, if it doesn't work, chuck it.


Submitted By: baggins99


VERY helpful information. I write anything but free verse and have had a hard time reviewing it since I didn't really understand it. I could also use some guidance on the differences in capitalization as applied to poetry and its different forms. I'm agree with everyone else; this is probably the most useful newletter I've ever read.

Bailey

The accepted capitalization "rules" for poetry are two: 1. Capitalize the first word of each line; or 2. capitalize the first word of each sentence, as in any writing.

Thank you for the compliment.



Submitted By: TheSilverWarrior

Thank you so much. I am new to the site and I have so far found everything to be so informative and useful. I'm struggling with turning my poetry into fictional short strories. Perhaps you could be some help! Your help with free verse was more than helpful

-Secret Soul

Usually I'm asked how to turn prose into poetry, not the other way around. You might read the following newsletters: For the Author and Short Stories . Perhaps reading some short stories would help you see what is needed, and then you can take the basics from your poetry and "flesh" them out into a story.


Ah, the messages that make me blush but feel good:

Submitted By: billwilcox

Well, another classic poetry class with Viv. Outstanding, useful, helpful, and still crunchy with milk. Thanks for sharing your unlimited wisdom with us.

Submitted By: Puditat

Viv, great lesson on free verse. I learned some things and clarified others. Keep up those great and educational editorials.

Submitted By: cre8ivewrtr

What an awesome newsletter. I liked the explantory way you have of describing different poems. Thanks for all your effort!

Thanks for all the praise and compliments. I feel honored and unworthy. I hope I continue to help others understand and enjoy poetry. Oh, there are more:


Submitted By: luvnlite

Viv your words are most insightful
Your style charming and delightful

Wishing you all that you desire
As spirit takes flight thru magical words
shaped to lift us higher


Wow! a compliment in verse, how appropriate. Thank you so very much.


Submitted By: Private

Thanks for the clear info on writing free verse. I think sometimes people mistakenly assume that writing free verse is easier than using a form. But it can be even harder when you have no set rules to discipline you!


Submitted By: spidey

Thanks for such a great newsletter! I'm very interested in free verse poetry, and was pleased to learn that it was the focus of your newsletter. I found the newsletter very helpful and informative, especially with the examples you have given. Thanks for such a great newsletter!

-spidey


Submitted By: Daddy Ziok

Very helpful! I just recently began trying to write free-verse! Thanks for explaining the idea of free-verse!


Submitted By: SB Musing

This was a great article about free verse, Viv! I've had a idea of what free verse is, but this article really explained it very well, and I understand it a lot better now after I have read this article. I loved your examples, and I found that they were very helpful with what you were trying to explain. Thanks for the informative and helpful article!


Thank you, everyone, for the questions, comments, and warm compliments. I hope I can always contribute something positive to your poetic experiences.


Until next time, read and write beautiful poetry.


Viv


Logo for Writing.Com Moderators - small.
A logo for Poetry Newsletter Editors




© Copyright 2004 Vivian (vzabel at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/878663-September--9-Poetry-Newsletter