*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/883235-Fresh-Air
Rated: E · Short Story · Sci-fi · #883235
What if you had never breathed fresh air?
I’m finally here, the time has finally come. I am going to walk for the first time in open air. I had heard so many stories, bedtime stories from my parents that I had refused to believe were possible when I was still a kid. Now the time had come for each teenager of age in this year to register with the EA. (Earth Alliance) At 16 all of us have to be presented and registered so that numbers and information on the census are accurate. The EA have paid for me to come to Earth for this and there is no way I am going to miss possibly my only chance to feel the fresh breeze on my skin.

As a third generation Moon resident I stood far taller than most of the other humans, we were becoming a breed apart, the lack of gravity helping us to grow taller with each generation. Another generation or two and we would no longer be able to return to Earth, our spines will have stretched too much to be able to handle the strength of gravity here. Over the sea of heads in the launch port I spot the exit. This is it, I am going to feel the fresh air.

Looking around at those surrounding me I could see very few who look as eager as I’m sure I do. In fact most of them look bored, I suppose to them this is an everyday occurrence. I remember how jealous my little brother was when I was getting ready to go, he begged Mum and Dad to let him come too, but we simply didn’t have the money. Besides he would get his chance when he came of age. I can almost feel them all walking with me as I walk through the doors and my senses overload with new sights and smells.

I breathe deeply, with each breath I can feel energy rushing into my body. It’s like nothing I’ve ever felt before. Looking up at the sun I can feel it’s warmth on my skin, I’ve never felt so exposed to it before now, having always had some form of protection between me and it. A strange sensation rushes across my skin, every hair stands on end as what can only be a breeze washes over it. I’ve never felt so alive.
© Copyright 2004 GG very happy (greengiraffe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/883235-Fresh-Air