*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/885326-Outsider
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Emotional · #885326
A girl's struggle to overcome the worst night of her life.
It was the day of the wedding, and everyone was excited! That is, everyone but Kathleen. She was dreading it. It was one thing to look bad every day at school and be an outsider, but it was another thing to look bad in a room full of people who were thin and gorgeous. Kathleen felt she was overweight, and she was...she knew it! Others tried to convince her otherwise, but she knew they were lying.
About mid afternoon, she had her dress ready, her hair was done, and she felt like the ugliest, fattest person in the world. She refused to join her best friend, Linda, in front of the mirror. Kathleen looked at Linda. She was glowing and radient. She looked better then ever, and kept raving on how she couldn't wait to dance with her crush, John. Kathleen smiled, and laughed along, knowing it would make Linda upset if she didn't.
It was time to head for the wedding, and everyone piled into the limo. As they walked in, the men and boys would greet each person, and show them to their seats. Kathleen sat next to Linda, and waited for the music to signal the weddng was beginning. Linda squeaked with excitement as she saw John walk in, and hoped he was just as excited to see her. Kathleen swallowed a huge lump in her throat and forced a smile.
She had no one to dance with. No one would want to. No one would even give her a pity dance. The bride walked down the isle and Kathleen felt tears of joy and sadness. She was so happy for Daniel, but she coulndn't help but think she would never get to walk down the isle and get to say "I do" to that one special person.
Following the wedding and pictures, everything went extremely slow, and just the way Kathleen had pictured. The first slow dance, everyone but her had a dance partner. No one looked at her or even considered asking such an ugly, fat, girl to dance with them. Kathleen's eyes filled with tears as she saw Linda with John. They looked so happy, and content. As each song went by, no one asked Kathleen to dance, or to talk. Linda was too busy with John to notice Kathleen's misery.
Finally it was too much for Kathleen, and she fled to the bathroom, and cried her heart out. No one heard her, and no one who came in cared. She wasn't an outgoing person, not like the rest of the girls at the wedding. They could have fun dancing, knowing that everyone looking at them was envious. Kathleen knew they were judging her. She knew they were thinking how utterly disgusting it was to watch someone so overweight, and ugly to dance. She was an outsider, and with that came all the unhappieness in the world.
At last, the time came for her to take drastic action. She ran past Linda and hugged her goodbye. She waved to John, and left. She went out and commanded the limo driver to take her home. She arrived at her house, and searched for anything to put an end to her misery. Finding nothing, she ran to her car. There was a nearby cliff, and as she approached it, she put the pedal to the medal. The car flew into the air, and as it hit the ground, the car exploded. No one realized Kathleen was gone until the next day, and no one came to the funeral. She was always dead to them, and never important. When one doesn't speak, one doesn't exist. So is the truth with everyone today.
© Copyright 2004 luvtobey4ever (tobey4ever at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/885326-Outsider