*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/885853-The-Greatest-Man-I-Ever-Knew
Rated: 13+ · Other · Emotional · #885853
A story to show how to never to take people in your life for granted...
They say that you never know what you have until it's gone. I will never forget my Sophmore year of high school, when that quote really meant something to me. It was the first day of school, and I was dreading it. Nothing was the same, and I hated change. I went through my classes trying to determine how much I'd love or hate the class. When I thought about my Geometry teacher, Mr. "O", I was puzzled. He was funny, but different. I'd never had a teacher like him before. I decided that day I didn't like him very much. After all, he wasn't my math teacher I had the year before, so why like him? Through the next few weeks, I got help from Mr. "O" on a few things, but I mostly accepted my A- and talked during his lectures.

Half a semester into the school year, I'd decided I was fed up being a fat, ugly cow, and started a "no eating" diet. I wrote on my hand, "Do Not Eat", and somehow, the only person to notice, was Mr. "O". He talked to me about my thoughts of being fat and ugly, and told me they weren't true. But how could I believe him? I knew what I saw in the mirror. Despite that, I started to warm up to him. Over the next few weeks, I sought help on every question I had, and my grade rose to an A plus. He never once complained about my pop in's on class or the mornings, and afternoons I stayed getting help.

He showed me swing dancing moves, and got me going to the same college where he took them. I'd dance with him when class was over and after school. He constantly warned me about the direction my eating habits were taking me, and because he was in O.A. (overeaters annoymous) he knew people that were going through the same thing. I asked him if so many people were having problems with eating disorders, then why wasn't it normal? He sat there and explained to me the things I obviously wasn't getting. I knew he was right, but I've never accepted it. I also knew he was just being too sweet. No one would ever say you were fat to your face.

The last months of school were very hard on me. I found out that Mr. "O" had to retire, and I'd no longer have him as a teacher, or see him every day. He said we'd still keep in contact, but I knew things would be different. I was very upset I hadn't known what a great, and funny teacher I had all along. I'd wasted time on being stubborn. Now our 5 Minute Fridays were leaving forever, all the jokes he told were never going to be told again, and he'd never be around to dance with. His financee was upset for him that he had to quit, as was the entire school.

The last day of school, I handed him a gift from me, and then a card from all of his students in the school. They'd all wrote down how much they were going to miss him, and how he'd not only helped them as a teacher, but as a friend. He awarded me his special nine millimeter pencil. It was to the person who worked hardest in all his classes. I wanted to cry. We hugged, and I watched him leave the school one last time. It was the worst feeling I've had in a long time.

I wrote to Mr. "O" over the summer, and he'd tell me of his fiancee's wedding plans, and told me not to worry about the following school year. Not long after my letter to him, I found out that he'd suffered a severe heart attack, and died. I couldn't believe it. It was like a dream, a nightmare. I wanted to wake up but I couldn't. At his funeral, there were many students, teachers, friends, and relatives. We all were hearbroken at how soon his life had come to an end. I felt awful for his fiancee, and couldn't bare to look at her for fear I'd break down completely.

Mr. "O" was one of the biggest influences of my life, and one of the most greatest losses. I've never stopped missing him, or loving him. He was the greatest man I've ever know, and someday, I hope to get to talk with him again. I've learned to accept change, and see that things good come from it. If nothing ever changed, I would have never met Mr. "O", and life would never be interesting for me, or anyone. I'll never take for granted the people I have in my life again. Life is too short, and you never know what is in store.
© Copyright 2004 luvtobey4ever (tobey4ever at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/885853-The-Greatest-Man-I-Ever-Knew